Washington State University researchers have discovered how to stretch metal films used in flexible electronics to twice their size without breaking.
The discovery could lead to dramatic improvements and addresses one of the biggest challenges in flexible electronics, an industry still in its infancy with applications such as bendable batteries, robotic skins, wearable monitoring devices and sensors, and connected fabrics.
The work was led by Rahul Panat and Indranath Dutta, researchers in Voiland College’s School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, and graduate student Yeasir Arafat. They have filed for a patent and published their findings in Applied Physics Letters.
Researchers have struggled for years with designing and manufacturing the tiny metal connections that go into flexible electronics. The metal has to undergo severe stretching and bending while continuing to conduct electricity. Manufacturers have so far used tiny metal springs that can stretch and still maintain connectivity, but the springs take up space and make it difficult to design complicated, high-density circuitry. Furthermore, electricity has to travel farther in coiled springs, requiring more power and bigger batteries.
Researchers have experimented with gold, which works better than other materials but is prohibitively expensive, and copper, which severely cracks when it is stretches more than 30 percent or so.
The WSU researchers found that when they made a metal film out of indium, a fairly inexpensive metal compared to gold, and periodically bonded it to a plastic layer commonly used in electronics, they were able to stretch the metal film to twice its original length. When the pieces broke, it was actually the plastic layer that failed, not the metal.
“This is a quantum improvement in stretchable electronics and wearable devices,” said Panat.
The Latest on: Stretchable electronics
via Google News
The Latest on: Stretchable electronics
- Wearable sensors for monitoring the physiological and biochemical profile of the athleteon July 22, 2019 at 9:36 am
The emergence of flexible and stretchable electronics coupled with the ability to quantify biochemical analytes and physiological parameters have enabled the detection of key markers indicative of ... […]
- Stretch Your Dollar: Saving on energy costson July 18, 2019 at 3:27 am
Next, stop feeding the vampires! Even if it’s for this weekend only, unplug all the electronics that are sucking up energy while you’re not using them. Reports are you can save five to eight percent ... […]
- A Universal Strategy for Stretchable Polymer Nonvolatile Memory via Tailoring Nanostructured Surfaceson July 17, 2019 at 2:16 am
... stretchable memory is an effective strategy for developing next-generation memory technologies toward stretchable and wearable electronics. Here we demonstrate a universal strategy for the ... […]
- 2019 International Conference on Flexible Electronics opens in Zhejiangon July 12, 2019 at 10:53 pm
This includes, but is not limited to organic flexible electronics, flexible displays, inorganic flexible electronics, stretchable electronics, flexible power sources, bio-mimetic electronics, ... […]
- Electronics firm invests in equipment and premises to grow global exports post-Brexiton July 9, 2019 at 12:08 am
A Barnsley-based wearable electronics firm is investing in its capacity to grow its global exports after Brexit, including a new 11,000 sq ft facility. Conductive Transfers, which uses patented ... […]
- Global Stretchable and Conformal Electronics Market 2018 Analysis by Key Players - Cambrios Technology, Aiq Smart, BeBop Sensorson July 5, 2019 at 10:26 am
Heavy investments by government organization in R&D of new form of electronic system in North America is expected to be highly impactful on the growth of stretchable and conformal electronics market ... […]
- Crane truck damages wires, signal lights on Old Liverpool Road and Electronics Parkwayon June 24, 2019 at 12:24 pm
The truck had its boom elevated, which then got caught on electrical wires and signal lights at the intersection of Old Liverpool Road and Electronics Parkway ... Street near the bridge tomorrow. It's ... […]
- Stretchable Electronics Market 2019 in-Depth Analysis by Size, Share, Future Trends and Top Players by 2026 (Apple, Adidas AG, Dupont, 3M, MI)on June 13, 2019 at 10:06 am
For the purpose of this report,Market Expertz have segmented the Stretchable Electronics Market on the basis of Product Type, latest Technique, Future Updates, technological innovations, Application, ... […]
- Researchers make breakthrough discovery in stretchable electronics materialson May 30, 2019 at 12:01 am
Stretchable electronics are where engineering meets Hollywood special effects. With a wide range of healthcare, energy and military applications, stretchable electronics are revered for their ability ... […]
- Texas A&M researcher makes breakthrough discovery in stretchable electronics materialson May 29, 2019 at 1:41 pm
With a wide range of healthcare, energy and military applications, stretchable electronics are revered for their ability to be compressed, twisted and conformed to uneven surfaces without losing ... […]
via Bing News