A failsafe track switch designed to eradicate a 200-year-old problem on the railway has been created by engineers at Loughborough University.
The breakthrough technology known asRepoint is a robust and reliable points mechanism, which will improve safety, reduce maintenance costs and boost capacity on the railways.
Supported by the UK Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB), Repoint is the result of work carried out with industry experts into improved switches to override track switch failures which can lead to train derailment.
Using safety concepts derived from aerospace and the nuclear industry, Repoint corrects a failed switch through a patented arrangement of interlocking rail ends which incorporate a sliding arrangement similar to a breather switch. A lift and drop mechanism allows for expansion and provides an additional locking mechanism with virtually no friction losses.
The mechanism can also move the switch in fractions of a second compared to the current four seconds for conventional designs.
“Repoint is a robust alternative to conventional switches that breaks with 200 years of tradition to offer a change in design that is inherently failsafe and fit for a 21st century rail network,” he said.
“A standard switch takes around four seconds to move, during which time a train may have travelled a distance of 200 metres. Repoint’s ability to reduce this time to under a second improves rail capacity without the need to build new infrastructure. It also has the potential to deliver huge cost savings, and will result in a significant increase in reliability and safety to the rail industry worldwide.
The Latest on: Railway innovation
via Google News
The Latest on: Railway innovation
- Telecom Corridor 2.0: Richardson kicks off new innovation districton February 3, 2020 at 9:00 am
Now Richardson is carving out a big section of the Telecom Corridor that it will call the Innovation Quarter — or Richardson IQ ... The area is now served by DART’s commuter rail and is just north of ...
- Rail and air associations to co-operate on ticketingon February 3, 2020 at 7:10 am
UIC said the aim is to promote ticketing innovation while preserving members’ intellectual property. IATA represents 290 airlines carrying 82% of total air traffic, while UIC has 200 members from ...
- JSL Lifestyle bags Innovation in Rolling Stock Award at Rail Analysis Innovation & Excellence Summit 2020on February 3, 2020 at 4:01 am
New Delhi [India], Feb 3 (ANI/NewsVoir): JSL Lifestyle, a leading brand infusing a culture of stainless steel, was felicitated with the coveted Innovation in Rolling Stock Award for its contribution ...
- The 2020 Railway Forum Highlights the Bright Future of Transportation in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabiaon February 3, 2020 at 4:00 am
In his opening speech, His Excellency the Minister of Transport, Eng. Saleh bin Nasser Al-Jasser, revealed that 400 billion Saudi riyals were invested in infrastructure in the past decade, signaling a ...
- FTA Grants Fund Light Rail in Federal Way, Rapid Bus in Portlandon February 3, 2020 at 2:08 am
“Completing this light rail extension to South King County will transform people’s commutes and ... The grant, along with a $629.5 million Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act loan ...
- Porterbrook aims to put Long Marston on the global map for rail innovationon January 31, 2020 at 2:46 am
academic bodies and technology leaders from other sectors to ‘put Warwickshire on the global map for rail innovation and expertise’. ‘The future of Britain’s railway rests on our ability to work ...
- Don't regulate the rail industryon January 30, 2020 at 7:00 pm
Rail competes with ships, truckers, airlines ... This has been an enormous failure that shields consumers from the benefits of competition, such as more innovation, better prices, and more options. It ...
- Talgo confirms UK location for £10m rail innovation centreon January 29, 2020 at 5:37 am
Talgo UK has taken another step towards bringing advanced rail skills and technology to Chesterfield with confirmation of its new innovation centre in the town. The company, which engineers and ...
- Nations Trust Bank completes Sri Lanka Railway Station clean up projecton January 27, 2020 at 4:00 pm
completed 20 years of building trust, pursuing innovation and challenging the norm, marked the occasion with the refurbishment of railway stations across the Island.The drive saw the bank’s employees ...
- The global railway cybersecurity market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 9.8% from USD 6.0 billion in 2019 to USD 12.6 billion by 2027on January 24, 2020 at 4:28 pm
New York, Jan. 24, 2020 -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Railway Cybersecurity Market by Type, Solutions and Services, Security Type And Region - Global.
via Bing News