With the world’s population expected to hit 9.1 billion by 2050, coupled with the growing effects of climate change on our ability to grow crops, a company out of Barcelona has proposed a solution to feeding the future world. Forward Thinking Architecture’s triple-decker Smart Floating Farms would feature 2.2 million square feet (2.04 sq km) of fish farm, hydroponic garden, and rooftop solar panels to power a floating barge, which could be anchored to the beds of oceans, lakes or rivers. The company estimates that each of its floating farms could produce about 8 tons (7.3 tonnes) of vegetables and 1.7 tons (1.5 tonnes) of fish per year.
The floating farms are intended to provide a solution that can keep up with food production levels that will have to increase by 70 percent globally, and 100 percent in developing nations, to feed more than 9 billion mouths. With so many people, arable land would be stretched to its growing capacity (we’re currently using 80 percent), while fresh water supplies would be severely stressed. Oceans are also being overfished at present.
The company’s idea to move farms onto the surface of water would address all those issues. Each level of the triple-decker farm would have its own function, and would operate as part of a sustainable loop that feeds into the other decks.
Skylights and solar panels on the top deck would convert sunlight into energy to power the farm. The middle level would consist of tiers of hydroponic organic crops that would maximize the limited space on the barge. Waste water from the crops would filter down to the fish farm level at the bottom as a food source.
The Latest on: Floating Farms
via Google News
The Latest on: Floating Farms
- Meet the cheesemaker: Marie-Laure Couët/Couët Farm & Fromagerie in Dudleyon September 7, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Her farm is her “cheese-stead ... Our cheeseroom is hotter in the summer and cooler in the winter. The very microbes floating on the air influence the cheese that we make. It’s magic and we pay ...
- Offshore Consortium Awards Floating Wind R&D Contract To NRELon September 6, 2019 at 11:40 am
The project is designed to improve the economic feasibility of floating wind farm technology. The award represents a step in advancing the consortium’s long-term strategy to further drive down ...
- Iconic I-65 farm survives and so will its floating Christmas treeson September 5, 2019 at 2:58 pm
The greeting card worthy Hallmark Farm in north Jefferson County has officially been taken over by the Hallmark Farms Cooperative, a group of local governments who bought the property with plans to ...
- New Zealand’s biggest solar farm will float on waste-water treatment planton September 4, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Auckland utilities Vector Limited and Watercare have announced this week plans to build what will be New Zealand’s first floating solar array and the country’s largest solar array of any type.
- New Zealand’s largest solar farm to be built on wateron September 4, 2019 at 3:00 am
A megawatt-scale solar farm planned on top of a wastewater treatment pond has become the first floating PV project – and first megawatt-scale solar system – confirmed for New Zealand. Funded and ...
- New Zealand’s floating debut billed as country’s top PV project to dateon September 3, 2019 at 4:07 am
Electricity and water providers Vector Group and Watercare announced today they will deploy in Auckland what they claim is New Zealand’s first ever floating solar farm. The installation planned at the ...
- Now, fish farmers can produce own farm feedon September 2, 2019 at 4:37 pm
CHENNAI: Fish farmers can soon prepare their own farm feed under an expert’s guidance as Tamil ... said the varsity official. Floating feed production capacity of this feed mill is 100-150kg per hour ...
- E. Dorinda Shelley's "The Helium Table" tells a funny story of farm animals in spaceon September 1, 2019 at 12:00 am
Dorinda Shelley and illustrated by Eleanor Hutton, is the first book in the series about the barnyard animals that find themselves in hard-to-believe situations involving floating objects ... out ...
- Carl Love: Art exhibit shows slices of Temecula area – from floating hot-air balloons to rustic sceneson August 29, 2019 at 7:59 pm
His paintings on display include hot-air balloons floating over the wine country and the Mission ... Road and Jefferson Avenue — when both were dirt and occupied by farm buildings. Hard to believe.
- ‘Not a pretty picture’: South China’s forests vanish as tree farms move inon August 29, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Groups such as the Beijing-based China Biodiversity Conservation and Green Development Foundation have been floating proposals for China to change language in its constitution that supports the ...
via Bing News