Modern science as a photorealistic online game
A virtual laboratory allows, for the first time, to actively engage with topical quantum physics. The novel learning environment was developed at the Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna in collaboration with university and high-school students. In time for the start of the new term, the virtual quantum lab is freely available online (http://interactive.quantumnano.at). The new teaching concept has been published in the journal “Scientific Reports”.
Modern science for all
Topical research experiments are often too expensive or too complex to be rebuilt and incorporated in teaching. How can one, nevertheless, make modern science accessible to the public? This challenge was tackled in the research group Quantum Nanophysics led by Markus Arndt at the University of Vienna. For the first time, two research laboratories were created as complete, photorealistic computer simulations allowing university and high-school students as well as the general public to virtually access unique instruments. “One could describe it as a flight simulator of quantum physics”, says Mathias Tomandl who designed and implemented the essential elements of the simulation in the course of his PhD studies.
Discovering the quantum world – step by step
A learning path guides the visitors of the virtual quantum lab through the world of delocalized complex molecules. A series of lab tasks and essential background information on the experiments enable the visitors to gradually immerse into the quantum world. The engaging software was developed together with university and high-school students and was fine-tuned by periodic didactic input. The teaching concept and the accompanying studies have now been published in the renowned scientific journal “Scientific Reports”.
Wave-particle dualism with large molecules
The virtual laboratories provide an insight into the fundamental understanding and into the applications of quantum mechanics with macromolecules and nanoparticles. In recent years, the real-life versions of the experiments verified the wave-particle dualism with the most complex molecules to date. Now, everyone can conduct these experiments in the virtual lab for the first time.
Read more: A quantum lab for everyone
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
via Google News
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
- “What we are going to have is a lot of virtual fans,on July 11, 2020 at 11:57 am
“What we are going to have is a lot of virtual fans, believe it or not ... one NBA team had its tests accidentally sent to the wrong lab, according to league sources. The mistake forced ...
- SC state holds virtual grand opening of new campus buildingon July 11, 2020 at 12:53 am
The 14,000 square foot facility will house six classrooms, a conference room, computer lab and administrative offices.
- Homer Junior High Presents Virtual Awards To Studentson July 10, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Homer Jr. High presented a virtual Awards Night on May 20. Some awards are based on performance during the two years at HJH.
- Do Space launches no-cost virtual job interview lab, helping Nebraskans return to workon July 10, 2020 at 10:56 am
For the approximately 19 million Americans without internet service, COVID-19 poses a stark roadblock to looking for work: the online job interview. As more companies switch to virtual interviews, ...
- Next-generation SCIEX 7500 System launches at virtual product experienceon July 10, 2020 at 8:22 am
SCIEX, a global leader in life science analytical technologies, launches the next generation of its flagship nominal mass spectrometer, the SCIEX Triple Quad 7500 LC-MS/MS System – QTRAP Ready.
- MediPharm Labs to Participate at CBD BioPharma Virtual Investor Conferenceon July 9, 2020 at 3:55 pm
MediPharm Labs Corp., (TSX: LABS) (OTCQX: MEDIF) (FSE: MLZ) (“MediPharm Labs” or the “Company”) a global leader in specialized,.
- Virtual Reality Market Revenue, Emerging Technologies, Competitive Landscape, Key Players Analysis and Industry Outlook 2025on July 9, 2020 at 12:00 am
The Global virtual reality Market is expected to exceed more than US$ 43 billion by 2024 and will grow at a CAGR of more than 33% in the given forecast period. FYI, You will get latest updated report ...
- Plays, Labs And More on Tap for La Jolla Playhouse’s Virtual Programson July 7, 2020 at 8:34 pm
La Jolla Playhouse announced Tuesday it is offering a variety of virtual, educational programs this summer. “Our Education staff has created a fantastic series of virtual offerings this summer, from ...
- Elliptic Labs Onboards New Customer and Signs Software License Agreement for AI Virtual Proximity Sensor™ INNER BEAUTY®on July 6, 2020 at 12:00 am
Elliptic Labs announced today that it has signed a contract with a new smartphone OEM customer in Asia that will incorporate Elliptic’s INNER BEAUTY AI Virtual Proximity Sensor into their next ...
- Focus Labs Debuts Their Revolutionary O3+Maqui(TM) Supplements at the Historic Virtual ECRM Conferenceon July 3, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Focus Laboratories plans to expand the reach of their supplement sales, following a successful return from the historic all-virtual ECRM conference.
via Bing News