Modern science as a photorealistic online game
A virtual laboratory allows, for the first time, to actively engage with topical quantum physics. The novel learning environment was developed at the Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna in collaboration with university and high-school students. In time for the start of the new term, the virtual quantum lab is freely available online (http://interactive.quantumnano.at). The new teaching concept has been published in the journal “Scientific Reports”.
Modern science for all
Topical research experiments are often too expensive or too complex to be rebuilt and incorporated in teaching. How can one, nevertheless, make modern science accessible to the public? This challenge was tackled in the research group Quantum Nanophysics led by Markus Arndt at the University of Vienna. For the first time, two research laboratories were created as complete, photorealistic computer simulations allowing university and high-school students as well as the general public to virtually access unique instruments. “One could describe it as a flight simulator of quantum physics”, says Mathias Tomandl who designed and implemented the essential elements of the simulation in the course of his PhD studies.
Discovering the quantum world – step by step
A learning path guides the visitors of the virtual quantum lab through the world of delocalized complex molecules. A series of lab tasks and essential background information on the experiments enable the visitors to gradually immerse into the quantum world. The engaging software was developed together with university and high-school students and was fine-tuned by periodic didactic input. The teaching concept and the accompanying studies have now been published in the renowned scientific journal “Scientific Reports”.
Wave-particle dualism with large molecules
The virtual laboratories provide an insight into the fundamental understanding and into the applications of quantum mechanics with macromolecules and nanoparticles. In recent years, the real-life versions of the experiments verified the wave-particle dualism with the most complex molecules to date. Now, everyone can conduct these experiments in the virtual lab for the first time.
Read more: A quantum lab for everyone
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
via Google News
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
- Princeton's Global History Lab receives grant to expand open-access virtual classroom for students worldwide, including refugee and migrant learnerson December 1, 2020 at 6:24 am
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Princeton's Global History Lab is continuing to partner with a worldwide network of universities and NGOs to teach history in these challenging times.
- DOE 'getting close' to awarding Savannah River National Lab management contracton December 1, 2020 at 6:00 am
The Department of Energy is “getting close to awarding” the much-anticipated Savannah River National Laboratory management contract, Savannah River Site manager Michael Budney said Monday.
- Startup founded by ‘Love Lab’ experts releases new platform and tech tools to assess relationshipson December 1, 2020 at 4:00 am
Affective Software Inc., the startup founded by the leaders of the famed Gottman Institute, is releasing a new portal and products to harness technology in assessing and improving relationships.
- Rigaku Analytical Devices to participate in Virtual CBRNe Convergence Eventon December 1, 2020 at 3:33 am
Rigaku Analytical Devices, the pioneer in handheld 1064nm Raman laser technology, will showcase its portfolio of ...
- Giving Tuesday celebrated by The Tech Interactive with time capsule opening and virtual touron November 30, 2020 at 3:01 pm
The Tech Interactive joins nonprofits from around the world in celebrating Giving Tuesday, the biggest day of the year for philanthropy. The Tech, which has been closed to the public since the ...
- A Virtual Celebration of Scienceon November 30, 2020 at 1:35 pm
What better way to celebrate the wonders of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) than hosting a virtual Science Festival? This article is part of the October-November 2020 issue of ...
- Ohio State football conducts small group workouts Monday, holds virtual meetings due to coronavirus caseson November 30, 2020 at 12:55 pm
The Buckeyes had been on pause from team activities since Friday night, when the announcement of the Illinois game was announced.
- Give the gift of Bill Nye with his virtual reality science kiton November 29, 2020 at 9:08 am
Kids can get fully immersed into Bill Nye's science lab with his virtual reality science kit. This year, you can give your kids the gift of science with fully immersive VR experiments from the ...
- Virtual Reality In Healthcare Market Growth Factors, Types and Application by regions from 2020 to 2027on November 28, 2020 at 4:33 pm
The report covers the forecast and analysis of the virtual reality in healthcare market on a global and regional level. The study provides historical data from 2015 to 2018 along with a forecast from ...
- Elliptic Labs Launches with Xiaomi’s Mass-Volume Smartphone Redmi Note 9 Pro Smartphoneson November 27, 2020 at 1:45 am
Leading AI software company Elliptic Labs (OSE: ELABS-ME) joins with Xiaomi (the world’s third largest smartphone manufacturer) in announcing today the launch of Xiaomi’s mass-volume smartphone Redmi ...
via Bing News