Modern science as a photorealistic online game
A virtual laboratory allows, for the first time, to actively engage with topical quantum physics. The novel learning environment was developed at the Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna in collaboration with university and high-school students. In time for the start of the new term, the virtual quantum lab is freely available online (http://interactive.quantumnano.at). The new teaching concept has been published in the journal “Scientific Reports”.
Modern science for all
Topical research experiments are often too expensive or too complex to be rebuilt and incorporated in teaching. How can one, nevertheless, make modern science accessible to the public? This challenge was tackled in the research group Quantum Nanophysics led by Markus Arndt at the University of Vienna. For the first time, two research laboratories were created as complete, photorealistic computer simulations allowing university and high-school students as well as the general public to virtually access unique instruments. “One could describe it as a flight simulator of quantum physics”, says Mathias Tomandl who designed and implemented the essential elements of the simulation in the course of his PhD studies.
Discovering the quantum world – step by step
A learning path guides the visitors of the virtual quantum lab through the world of delocalized complex molecules. A series of lab tasks and essential background information on the experiments enable the visitors to gradually immerse into the quantum world. The engaging software was developed together with university and high-school students and was fine-tuned by periodic didactic input. The teaching concept and the accompanying studies have now been published in the renowned scientific journal “Scientific Reports”.
Wave-particle dualism with large molecules
The virtual laboratories provide an insight into the fundamental understanding and into the applications of quantum mechanics with macromolecules and nanoparticles. In recent years, the real-life versions of the experiments verified the wave-particle dualism with the most complex molecules to date. Now, everyone can conduct these experiments in the virtual lab for the first time.
Read more: A quantum lab for everyone
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
via Google News
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
- Sac State To Continue Virtual Learning For Fall 2020 Semesteron May 12, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Sacramento State’s campus and classrooms are pretty quiet and it will continue to stay that way. CBS13 is learning from the Chancellor of the California State Universities that students will primarily ...
- California State University system announces plans for a virtual fall semesteron May 12, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Most classes across the 23 state campuses will be held online, though there will be few exceptions for in-person activity, Chancellor Timothy White.
- Fall 2020 classes to be virtualon May 12, 2020 at 4:13 pm
Sacramento State will deliver most courses virtually in the fall as part of efforts to stem spread of the coronavirus.
- Univision Sets Table For Virtual Upfront, Touting Strength Of Hispanic Market, Nielsen Studyon May 12, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Univision — which has struggled to sell mainstream marketers on Hispanic media in volumes its execs have long felt it deserved — took another swing Tuesday at explaining why in a ...
- Coronavirus: Cal State to cancel most in-person classes, move to virtual learning for Fall 2020on May 12, 2020 at 12:55 pm
The University of California is weighing similar options, citing likelihood that ‘none of our campuses will fully reopen in the fall.’ ...
- NanoString to Present Advancing Science - A Virtual Oncology Conference, Scheduled May 19-20, 2020 (May 20-21, Asia Pacific)on May 12, 2020 at 7:15 am
About NanoString Technologies, Inc. NanoString Technologies is a leading provider of life science tools for translational research. The company's nCounter® Analysis System is used in life sciences ...
- "Rise Up New York!": Star-studded virtual telethon raises $115 million for New Yorkerson May 12, 2020 at 6:32 am
TV, and radio stations simulcasted "Rise Up New York!" The telethon brought awareness to those fighting COVID-19 in the nation's epicenter. Robin Hood said 100% of donations made "will provide support ...
- Halo Labs to Present at Canaccord Genuity’s Cannabis Virtual Conference on May 12thon May 11, 2020 at 12:09 pm
TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Halo Labs Inc. ("Halo" or the "Company") (NEO: HALO, OTCQX: AGEEF, Germany: A9KN) is pleased to announce that Halo Labs’ CEO Kiran Sidhu will be presenting at the 4 th Annual ...
- Establishment Labs Announces Participation in the UBS Virtual Global Healthcare Conferenceon May 11, 2020 at 5:44 am
A live webcast of the presentation will be available to all interested parties on the Establishment Labs investor relations website at investors.establishmentlabs.com . An archived version of the ...
- Date Lab: Our first virtual dateon May 7, 2020 at 3:14 am
The virtual dinner was set for 5 p.m., and they had each chosen to have Italian food delivered to their homes: lasagna for him and penne alla vodka for her. Neither of them ate, b ...
via Bing News