Research could help more than 200,000 people annually who suffer from nerve injuries or disease
A national team of researchers has developed a first-of-its-kind, 3D-printed guide that helps regrow both the sensory and motor functions of complex nerves after injury. The groundbreaking research has the potential to help more than 200,000 people annually who experience nerve injuries or disease.
Nerve regeneration is a complex process. Because of this complexity, regrowth of nerves after injury or disease is very rare, according to the Mayo Clinic. Nerve damage is often permanent. Advanced 3D printing methods may now be the solution.
In a new study, published today in the journal Advanced Functional Materials, researchers used a combination of 3D imaging and 3D printing techniques to create a custom silicone guide implanted with biochemical cues to help nerve regeneration. The guide’s effectiveness was tested in the lab using rats.
To achieve their results, researchers used a 3D scanner to reverse engineer the structure of a rat’s sciatic nerve. They then used a specialized, custom-built 3D printer to print a guide for regeneration. Incorporated into the guide were 3D-printed chemical cues to promote both motor and sensory nerve regeneration. The guide was then implanted into the rat by surgically grafting it to the cut ends of the nerve. Within about 10 to 12 weeks, the rat’s ability to walk again was improved.
“This represents an important proof of concept of the 3D printing of custom nerve guides for the regeneration of complex nerve injuries,” said University of Minnesota mechanical engineering professor Michael McAlpine, the study’s lead researcher. “Someday we hope that we could have a 3D scanner and printer right at the hospital to create custom nerve guides right on site to restore nerve function.”
Scanning and printing takes about an hour, but the body needs several weeks to regrow the nerves. McAlpine said previous studies have shown regrowth of linear nerves, but this is the first time a study has shown the creation of a custom guide for regrowth of a complex nerve like the Y-shaped sciatic nerve that has both sensory and motor branches.
“The exciting next step would be to implant these guides in humans rather than rats,” McAlpine said. In cases where a nerve is unavailable for scanning, McAlpine said there could someday be a “library” of scanned nerves from other people or cadavers that hospitals could use to create closely matched 3D-printed guides for patients.
The Latest on: Nerve regeneration
via Google News
The Latest on: Nerve regeneration
- Glaucoma Nerve Cell Death May Be Driven by Toxin-Releasing Reactive Astrocyteson June 24, 2020 at 5:00 am
Rodent study results point to astrocytes as the true culprits behind nerve cell death in gluacoma and highlight a potentially new approach to treating neurodegenerative disease ...
- NervGen Pharma to Collaborate on Chronic Spinal Cord Injury Study Sponsored by the State of Ohioon June 22, 2020 at 6:30 pm
Ohio Department of Higher Education Awards $250,000 Grant To Dr. Jerry Silver, Co-inventor of NervGen's Lead Compound Vancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp. - June 22, 2020) - NervGen Pharma ...
- Woman injured in helicopter crash that killed her father gets device meant to help her walk againon June 21, 2020 at 3:25 am
"I just kept thinking, I have to keep fighting, my dad, he would want me to keep fighting," she explained to KTVB.
- Study shows nervous and immune systems 'need to talk' for bone repairon June 19, 2020 at 6:18 am
In a December 2019 study, a team of Johns Hopkins Medicine researchers demonstrated in mice that repair of bone fractures requires the generation, growth and spread of nerve cells, or neurons, ...
- Study sheds light on why retinal ganglion cells are vulnerable to glaucomaon June 18, 2020 at 6:07 am
Millions of sufferers of glaucoma might someday benefit from a study released in STEM CELLS in which a ''disease in a dish'' stem cell model was used to examine the mechanism in glaucoma that causes ...
- Nerve Renew Review: Life Renew Neuropathy Treatment Group’s Advanced Pain Relief Formulaon June 18, 2020 at 12:11 am
Marketing by Kevin, LLC. — Nerve Renew is an advanced nerve support supplement by Life Renew, found at the Neuropathy Treatment Group website and developed by Wes Jones that offers a drug-free, ...
- Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market Size 2020 Global Industry Revenue, Business Growth, Demand and Applications Market Research Report to 2024on June 17, 2020 at 12:08 am
Global Nerve Repair and Regeneration Market (2020-2024) report highlights Significant dynamics and in-depth analysis of ...
- Nerve Repair And Regeneration Market is Expected to Get US$ 17.2 Bn By 2027on June 15, 2020 at 11:16 pm
The global nerve repair and regeneration market is expected to exceed $ 17.2 billion by 2027 and growing at a CAGR of 10.4 percent from 2020 to 2027.
- Creating the first 3D neural map of a hearton June 15, 2020 at 6:18 am
Medical spoke to Dr. Vadigepalli and Dr. Schwaber about their groundbreaking research in which they managed to map the neurons in the heart.
- Nerve Repair And Regeneration Market Analysis With Impact of COVID-19 and Market Will Exceed $17.2 Bn By 2027on June 15, 2020 at 5:16 am
The global Nerve Repair And Regeneration Market size is expected to reach USD 17.2 billion by 2027, at a significant growth rate of 10.4% during the forecasted period 2020 to 2027. The market report ...
via Bing News