The field of 3D printing is still largely the domain of major companies in need of easier prototyping methods and hobbyists. But a new breakthrough could vastly expand the technology’s applications: 3D printed glass.
MIT’s process accomplishes this by using two chambers, one that acts as a kiln cartridge (working at 1,900 degrees Fahrenheit), and another that works to melt the structures together. The molten glass is distributed through an alumina-zircon-silica nozzle (shown in the video, above) that pours the material out like soft serve ice cream.
The G3DP process was developed by a team including the MIT Media Lab’s Mediated Matter group, the MIT Glass Lab, the Wyss Institute and MIT’s Mechanical Engineering Department.
One of the project’s leader researchers, Neri Oxman, says the breakthrough could also lead to advances in creating fiber optic cables that transmit data more efficiently.
“Now [we can] consider printable optoelectronics,” Oxman told Arch Daily, “or the possibility of combining optical fibers for high-speed data transmission by light, combined within glass printed building facades.”
This 3D glass printing technique could also hold “significant implications for all things glass: aerodynamic building facades optimized for solar gain,” Oxman said.
The Latest on: 3D glass printing
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D glass printing
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: LOGI, SSYS and IMMRon September 11, 2020 at 3:51 pm
Zacks.com announces the list of stocks featured in the Analyst Blog. Every day the Zacks Equity Research analysts discuss the latest news and events impacting stocks and the financial markets. Stocks ...
- IACMI Supports Production of 50,000 Face Shields for University of Tennessee Students, Faculty and Staffon September 10, 2020 at 1:39 pm
When students, faculty and staff returned to the University of Tennessee (UT) campus in Knoxville for the beginning of the fall semester ...
- Global 3D Printing Materials Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Share, Growth, Sales, Trends, Supply, Forecast 2027on September 10, 2020 at 11:23 am
WiseGuyReports.com adds "Global 3D Printing Materials Market Research Report 2020 Analysis and Forecast 2027" reports to its database. Executive Summ ...
- 3 Computer Peripheral Stocks to Watch for Gains in a Battered Industryon September 10, 2020 at 9:23 am
Peripheral Equipment industry has suffered immensely due to coronavirus-led supply chain disruptions and destabilization of international trade. Lockdowns and shelter-in-place guidelines aimed at ...
- How the Rolling Stones Launched a Retail Store Amid a Pandemicon September 8, 2020 at 2:05 pm
The tongue is the centerpiece of the Rolling Stones ’ latest venture: a flagship retail shop called RS No. 9 Carnaby Street that the band conceptualized and created and marking the first time a ...
- DSM launches food contact safe Arnilene SLS 3D printing materialon September 3, 2020 at 5:20 am
DSM has introduced its second Arnilene branded material this month, this time focused on the powder-based 3D printing market.
- Turning SLS 3D Printing on its Headon September 1, 2020 at 12:27 am
A research team at Columbia University’s School of Engineering did a little out-of-the-box thinking and turned the laser upside down inside an SLS 3D printer so that it points up. The team also ...
- Lenovo's leather-wrapped IdeaPad Slim 9i laptop packs Intel Tiger Lake and Xe insideon August 31, 2020 at 6:04 am
Lenovo’s IdeaPad Slim 9i will feature Intel’s next-gen Tiger Lake CPU and Xe graphics rolled into a luxurious, leather-wrapped, lightweight laptop with three Thunderbolt 4.0 ports. The Lenovo IdeaPad ...
- 3D Printing Glasson August 23, 2020 at 5:00 pm
For most of us, 3D printing means printing in plastic of some ... But instead of metal, he casts parts out of glass. [Amos] covers several techniques. The first is creating a relief (that is ...
- RIZE Debuts RIZIUM™ Glass Fiber Material for Industrial 3D Printing that is Durable, Certified Safe, and Sustainableon August 13, 2020 at 5:53 pm
RIZIUM Glass Fiber is the only composite 3D printing material suitable for full-color parts, and the stability to support parts with complex geometries that often can warp. By opening entire ...
via Bing News