The humble butterfly could hold the key to unlocking new techniques to make solar energy cheaper and more efficient, pioneering new research has shown.
A team of experts from the University of Exeter has examined new techniques for generating photovoltaic (PV) energy – or ways in which to convert light into power.
They showed that by mimicking the v-shaped posture adopted by Cabbage White butterflies to heat up their flight muscles before take-off, the amount of power produced by solar panels can increase by almost 50 per cent.
Crucially, by replicating this ‘wing-like’ structure, the power-to-weight ratio of the overall solar energy structure is increased 17-fold, making it vastly more efficient.
The research by the team from both the Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI) and the Centre for Ecology and Conservation, based at the University of Exeter’s Penryn Campus in Cornwall, is published in the leading scientific journal, Scientific Reports.
Professor Tapas Mallick, lead author of the research said: “Biomimicry in engineering is not new. However, this truly multidisciplinary research shows pathways to develop low cost solar power that have not been done before.”
The Cabbage White butterflies are known to take flight before other butterflies on cloudy days – which limit how quickly the insects can use the energy from the sun to heat their flight muscles.
This ability is thought to be due to the v-shaped posturing, known as reflectance basking, they adopt on such days to maximise the concentration of solar energy onto their thorax, which allows for flight.
Furthermore, specific sub-structures of the butterflies’ wings allow the light from the sun to be reflected most efficiently, ensuring that the flight muscles are warmed to an optimal temperature as quickly as possible.
The team of scientists therefore investigated how to replicate the wings to develop a new, lightweight reflective material that could be used in solar energy production.
The Latest on: Low cost solar power
via Google News
The Latest on: Low cost solar power
- Renewables in Europe: Land requirements can be reduced at low coston August 7, 2020 at 6:53 am
Transitioning our energy supply from coal, oil and gas to wind and solar power is feasible. However, renewables require more land than conventional forms of energy generation. A new study explores the ...
- Top 7 Best Solar Panels Under $100on August 7, 2020 at 1:34 am
Below are some of the best solar panels under $100 you can choose from. The Rich Solar Polycrystalline Solar Panel is a cost-effective, yet powerful choice for you as this can generate up to 5.4 amp ...
- Advanced Energy Introduces Innovative, Five-Output Power Supply for Solar PV Manufacturing Industryon August 6, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Advanced Energy introduces innovative, five-output power supply. Ascent MS optimizes power delivery and lowers costs for crystalline silicon PECVD processes in the production of solar cells. (Photo: ...
- DRPA breaks ground on solar project to power PATCO trainson August 5, 2020 at 12:21 pm
The Delaware River Port Authority says a new 22 megawatt solar project will provide more than half the total electricity consumption for its PATCO operations through 50,000 solar panels on parking ...
- Solar Power Can Help Halt Dramatic Decline Of Migratory Fishon August 5, 2020 at 6:14 am
Populations of migratory fish - a major part of freshwater fisheries that feed 200 million people - have declined by 76% since 1970. Hydropower dams are a major reason for this decline; the renewable ...
- Community Energy Announces Agreement With Henderson Municipal Power & Light (HMP&L) Enabling 50 Megawatts of New Solar Power in Western Kentuckyon July 30, 2020 at 5:49 am
“We are proud to be working with HMP&L, who is demonstrating strong leadership by bringing low cost solar power to its community,” said Joel Thomas, Executive Vice President of Community Energy. “This ...
- Solar Glass Could Convert The Windows Of Every Building Into Power-Generating Panelson July 29, 2020 at 9:32 am
A California-based startup has managed to make PV cells transparent and energy efficient, turning every window into a solar panel.
- Growing Stronger Together: Astral Power Brings Solar Energy to Women’s Opportunity Centeron July 29, 2020 at 5:40 am
Astral Power is partnering with Women's Opportunity Center to provide clean, renewable energies to this non-profit organization aimed to lead low income women out of poverty through career counseling, ...
- JinkoPower and EDF Renewables Consortium Sign the Power Purchase Agreement for the World's Single Largest Solar Project in Abu Dhabion July 29, 2020 at 2:01 am
Jinko Power Technology Co., Ltd. A leading global renewable energy IPP that develops, builds, finances, owns and operates solar ...
- Azure Power Awarded Most Sustainable Company in the Solar Energy Industry as Part of World Finance Magazine's Sustainability Awards 2020on July 28, 2020 at 5:05 pm
Azure Power manages the entire development and operation process, providing low-cost solar power solutions to customers throughout India. For more information, visit: www.azurepower.com.
via Bing News