The humble butterfly could hold the key to unlocking new techniques to make solar energy cheaper and more efficient, pioneering new research has shown.
A team of experts from the University of Exeter has examined new techniques for generating photovoltaic (PV) energy – or ways in which to convert light into power.
They showed that by mimicking the v-shaped posture adopted by Cabbage White butterflies to heat up their flight muscles before take-off, the amount of power produced by solar panels can increase by almost 50 per cent.
Crucially, by replicating this ‘wing-like’ structure, the power-to-weight ratio of the overall solar energy structure is increased 17-fold, making it vastly more efficient.
The research by the team from both the Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI) and the Centre for Ecology and Conservation, based at the University of Exeter’s Penryn Campus in Cornwall, is published in the leading scientific journal, Scientific Reports.
Professor Tapas Mallick, lead author of the research said: “Biomimicry in engineering is not new. However, this truly multidisciplinary research shows pathways to develop low cost solar power that have not been done before.”
The Cabbage White butterflies are known to take flight before other butterflies on cloudy days – which limit how quickly the insects can use the energy from the sun to heat their flight muscles.
This ability is thought to be due to the v-shaped posturing, known as reflectance basking, they adopt on such days to maximise the concentration of solar energy onto their thorax, which allows for flight.
Furthermore, specific sub-structures of the butterflies’ wings allow the light from the sun to be reflected most efficiently, ensuring that the flight muscles are warmed to an optimal temperature as quickly as possible.
The team of scientists therefore investigated how to replicate the wings to develop a new, lightweight reflective material that could be used in solar energy production.
The Latest on: Low cost solar power
via Google News
The Latest on: Low cost solar power
- Tesla is testing a low-priced 'Rent Solar' program for homes, but read the fine printon August 17, 2019 at 10:21 am
There's no up front cost for the installation and no long-term contract commitment. There's one big catch, however: if you decide to end your commitment and want the solar panels and hardware ...
- Wind power prices now lower than the cost of natural gason August 17, 2019 at 5:45 am
This week, the US Department of Energy released a report that looks back on the state of wind power ... solar will remain the cheapest sources of new electricity in the US. The levelized cost ...
- Construction has begun at one of largest solar power facilities in La.on August 14, 2019 at 2:16 pm
Nearly 200,000 solar panels will be used to complete the facility ... “Louisiana is undergoing tremendous growth and we need to be ready to deliver low-cost, diverse energy sources to help sustain ...
- Africa: Solar Power Coming of Age for Sub-Saharan Africa's Remote Base Stations - Completely Replacing Maintenance-Heavy Diesel Generatorson August 14, 2019 at 8:14 am
London — Once solar power was a corporate "virtue-signaling" project but with changes in cost and reliability ... A key part of the low maintenance of the units is having redundant charge ...
- Entergy to buy power from La. solar planton August 14, 2019 at 12:25 am
"Utilities are actively putting in large-scale solar farms because it's now a low enough cost. When costs first came down, large industry jumped on it first and now utilities are catching up." The ...
- Work underway on solar power plant in West Baton Rouge Parishon August 13, 2019 at 11:10 am
Construction has begun on one of the largest solar facilities currently planned for Louisiana ... “Louisiana is undergoing tremendous growth and we need to be ready to deliver low-cost, diverse energy ...
- West Baton Rouge solar plant with 197,000 panels begins construction: Entergy Louisiana to purchase its poweron August 13, 2019 at 9:21 am
Some 197,000 solar panels capable of powering thousands of homes are going ... “Louisiana is undergoing tremendous growth and we need to be ready to deliver low-cost, diverse energy sources to help ...
- How To Have Solar Power And Eat, Tooon August 12, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Purdue researchers are investigating the viability of solar power production on farmland ... “The idea is to have energy at low cost, and plentiful everywhere,” Agrawal says. “So we get out of the ...
- Solar power efficiency can be boosted using agricultural landon August 10, 2019 at 8:35 am
The material is called CsPbI3, which is an inorganic perovskite and it has been found to be of a high efficiency and low cost. This stable material efficiently creates electricity and it could ...
- UToledo physicists awarded $7.4 million to rev up solar technology to power space vehicleson August 8, 2019 at 7:19 am
"Our goal is to protect our troops and enhance national security by accelerating the performance of solar cells," Ellingson said. "Our primary goal is to reduce the power system payload ... UToledo's ...
via Bing News