The humble butterfly could hold the key to unlocking new techniques to make solar energy cheaper and more efficient, pioneering new research has shown.
A team of experts from the University of Exeter has examined new techniques for generating photovoltaic (PV) energy – or ways in which to convert light into power.
They showed that by mimicking the v-shaped posture adopted by Cabbage White butterflies to heat up their flight muscles before take-off, the amount of power produced by solar panels can increase by almost 50 per cent.
Crucially, by replicating this ‘wing-like’ structure, the power-to-weight ratio of the overall solar energy structure is increased 17-fold, making it vastly more efficient.
The research by the team from both the Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI) and the Centre for Ecology and Conservation, based at the University of Exeter’s Penryn Campus in Cornwall, is published in the leading scientific journal, Scientific Reports.
Professor Tapas Mallick, lead author of the research said: “Biomimicry in engineering is not new. However, this truly multidisciplinary research shows pathways to develop low cost solar power that have not been done before.”
The Cabbage White butterflies are known to take flight before other butterflies on cloudy days – which limit how quickly the insects can use the energy from the sun to heat their flight muscles.
This ability is thought to be due to the v-shaped posturing, known as reflectance basking, they adopt on such days to maximise the concentration of solar energy onto their thorax, which allows for flight.
Furthermore, specific sub-structures of the butterflies’ wings allow the light from the sun to be reflected most efficiently, ensuring that the flight muscles are warmed to an optimal temperature as quickly as possible.
The team of scientists therefore investigated how to replicate the wings to develop a new, lightweight reflective material that could be used in solar energy production.
The Latest on: Low cost solar power
via Google News
The Latest on: Low cost solar power
- A Comprehensive Guide to Buying Solar Panelson November 21, 2019 at 8:10 am
Among all the different ways of harnessing the energy, rooftop solar panels are gaining momentum due to its low cost and other benefits. If you want to buy solar panels, there are many aspects which ...
- Nigerian telecom launches low-cost 4G LTE wireless networkon November 8, 2019 at 6:24 am
Nigerian telecom Tizeti added 4G LTE in an attempt to build on the success of its low-cost, solar-powered Wi-Fi network.
- Govt planning low-cost electricity, solar power projects for South Punjab: PMon November 7, 2019 at 8:28 am
ISLAMABAD: Prime Minster Imran Khan Thursday said the government was planning to provide low-cost electricity to South Punjab, besides executing solar power projects in the area. The prime minister, ...
- Mass Megawatts Wind Power, Inc. Announces Improvement with its Low-Cost, Solar Tracking Systemon October 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
- Mass Megawatts Wind Power, Inc. Announces Improvement with its Low-Cost, Solar Tracking Systemon October 24, 2019 at 5:11 am
The STS is an innovative structural design that is simple, robust, and low-cost. The solar panels are automatically repositioned throughout the day as the sun's position travels from east to west with ...
- Duke Energy Pushes Plan for Low-Cost Solar Adoptionon September 19, 2019 at 4:41 am
Duke Energy is turning its attention to non-residential customers and wants to give them another option to install solar power on their properties. The company filed to be a certified solar lessor ...
- Efficient organic solar cells with a low energy loss enabled by a quinoxaline-based acceptoron September 14, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Organic photovoltaics (OPVs) have attracted much attention because of the advantages in low-cost and large-area fabrication and the great potentials in achieving flexible and semi-transparent devices.
- Los Angeles approves 'historically low cost' solar+storage projecton September 11, 2019 at 7:38 am
"The Eland project is historically low cost," Evan Gillespie ... Los Angeles is making the investment jointly with Glendale Water and Power, which will receive 12.5% of the total solar and battery ...
- Los Angeles OKs a deal for record-cheap solar power and battery storageon September 10, 2019 at 4:27 pm
But California law requires 100% climate-friendly energy by 2045, a target that will force utilities and local governments to do more than keep buying low-cost solar and wind power. California ...
- Carmanah launches high output, low-cost solar-LED marine lanternon August 24, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Carmanah solar LED lights and solar power systems provide a durable, dependable and cost effective energy alternative. Carmanah is a publicly traded company, with common shares listed on the Toronto ...
via Bing News