The idea of guaranteeing people’s income—a basic income guarantee—has gained a lot of currency of late. There has been a flurry of articles and think-tank chatter, growing support among the Silicon Valley set and even some early experiments.
Utrecht, in Holland, for example, has an interesting pilot. As Quartz explains:
A group of people already receiving welfare will get monthly checks ranging from around €900 ($1,000) for an adult to €1,300 ($1,450) for a couple or family per month. Out of the estimated 300 people participating, a group of at least 50 people will receive the unconditional basic income and won’t be subject to any regulation, so even if they get a job or find another source of income, they will still get their disbursement
Council alderman Victor Everhardt told a local publication that he sees the policy as a test of how people will react to having their needs met and not having to do anything extra. One big question: “Will someone sit passively at home or do people develop themselves and provide a meaningful contribution to our society?”
The pilot, overseen by University College Utrecht, is one way of doing basic income. People have proposed everything from a universal benefit open to all (even people with money already) to a more conditional arrangement based on existing income. The advantage of universality, aside from morality, is that the program is cheap and easy to administer.
The Latest on: Basic income
via Google News
The Latest on: Basic income
- Alvin Tedjo: Ontario will have Basic Income if I become premieron November 29, 2019 at 3:13 pm
In 2017, the proposed Ontario Basic Income Pilot ("OBIP") gave hope to communities that have struggled with rising unemployment rates, housing instability, and poverty. The program provided 4,000 ...
- Basic income can ensure the big society, supporters claimon November 28, 2019 at 3:01 pm
A group set up to assess the feasibility of introducing pilots for a citizens’ basic income (CBI) has suggested two payment levels: a lower rate more in line with benefit payments — between £85 and ...
- Basic income class-action lawsuit information sessions in Hamilton, Brantfordon November 27, 2019 at 6:24 am
The legal team representing the plaintiffs in a $200 million class-action lawsuit over the early cancellation of the basic income pilot project is holding information sessions in Hamilton and ...
- MSPs take evidence on basic Incomeon November 26, 2019 at 4:14 pm
And we'll keep you signed in. Sign in or Register You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law. By Craig Hutchison and Louise Wilson All times ...
- Could Universal Basic Income Actually Make Inequality Worse?on November 25, 2019 at 4:38 am
That’s behind the latest hot topic in anti-poverty policy — “universal basic income” or UBI. UBI forms the heart of outsider democrat Andrew Yang’s presidential campaign, and Marianne Williamson ...
- The math is clear: universal basic income is a terrible ideaon November 24, 2019 at 11:35 am
Universal basic income would give all Americans a check every month. But UBI would not solve the problems of income inequality or automation.
- Election 2020: Andrew Yang Explains His Universal Basic Income Planon November 22, 2019 at 2:35 am
As part of a series of Wall Street Journal interviews with Democratic 2020 candidates, entrepreneur Andrew Yang sits down with WSJ’s Greg Ip to discuss how his universal basic income plan rises to the ...
- Money for all: Panel to explore idea of basic income payments for Mainerson November 22, 2019 at 1:06 am
In countries like Canada, Finland and the Netherlands and states like California, governments and philanthropists are experimenting with the idea of providing a basic income to all citizens as a way ...
- Universal basic income is just a band-aid on a much bigger problemon November 20, 2019 at 4:07 pm
Andrew Yang is being championed for breathing new life into an unlikely economic model: The idea of universal basic income (UBI) or, per his campaign, the “Freedom Dividend,” has been at the forefront ...
- In California, Stockton Is Running Its Own Experiment With A Universal Basic Incomeon November 20, 2019 at 12:35 pm
As the Democratic debate kicks off on Wednesday, one town in California is experimenting with a version of universal income that is espoused by candidate Andrew Yang.
via Bing News