Healing times for skin ulcers and bedsores can be reduced by a third with the use of low-intensity ultrasound, scientists from the University of Sheffield and University of Bristol have found.
- Treatment could save the NHS £3.1 billion every year
- More than 200,000 patients in the UK suffer with chronic wounds
- Healing time can be reduced by a third
Researchers from the University of Sheffield’s Department of Biomedical Science discovered the ultrasound transmits a vibration through the skin and wakes up cells in wounds helping to stimulate and accelerate the healing process.
More than 200,000 patients in the UK suffer with chronic wounds every year at a cost of over £3.1 billion to the NHS.
The ultrasound treatment, which also reduces the chance of wounds getting infected, is particularly effective when treating diabetics and the elderly.
There are 11 million over-65s, three million diabetics, and 10 million smokers in the UK – all of whom are likely to suffer problems with healing wounds.
A quarter of diabetics suffer from skin ulcers, particularly foot ulcers, due to the loss of sensation and circulation in the legs.
Lead author of the study Dr Mark Bass, from the University’s Centre for Membrane Interactions and Dynamics (CMIAD), said: “Skin ulcers are excruciatingly painful for patients and in many cases can only be resolved by amputation of the limb.
“Using ultrasound wakes up the cells and stimulates a normal healing process. Because it is just speeding up the normal processes, the treatment doesn’t carry the risk of side effects that are often associated with drug treatments.”
The Latest on: Skin healing
via Google News
The Latest on: Skin healing
- I Tried Skin Fasting, the Latest Skin Trend for Clear Skin on May 22, 2019 at 4:53 pm
skin fasting comes from Hippocrates’ belief that traditional fasting can be used as a healing method. Now, I’m skeptical whenever I hear the word “detox,” as it usually serves as a quick-fix solution ... […]
- Healing through humor — Improv classes teach cancer survivors the power of laughter on May 22, 2019 at 2:00 am
Six months ago, she underwent the last of multiple surgeries to remove basal cell cancer, a type of skin cancer, on her nose ... “I’m here because comedy was healing for me and I want to give that to ... […]
- Lab results confirm that Omyst® healing herbal first aid spray kills Staphylococcus aureus & MRSA on contact on May 22, 2019 at 12:03 am
Omyst's powerful blend of ingredients, sprayed directly to the affected site, allows the skin to breathe while ... All of the plants in Omyst® are grown on Healing Spirits Herb Farm – a NOFA ... […]
- How To Heal Sunburn On Face Fast on May 21, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Keep your hands off the blisters Do not touch the blisters formed on the skin as a result of second-degree sunburn. Resist the urge to poke the blisters and pop them at any cost, for it could lead to ... […]
- 12 ways your skin can react to stress, according to a dermatologist on May 21, 2019 at 10:52 am
"This can be related to the fact that stress can lead to inflammation and some inflammatory markers can inhibit or prevent proper healing of a wound," Garshick told INSIDER. "Additionally, since ... […]
- Under $50: The best face moisturizers for your skin type on May 21, 2019 at 9:25 am
Some of its proprietary active ingredients include Vitabrid CG, which the company says brightens skin and improves elasticity, and Peptibrid, to help heal damaged skin and add antioxidant protection. ... […]
- Can you spot skin cancer? Keep an eye out for these warning signs on May 21, 2019 at 3:59 am
It usually looks like a scaly patch or red crusted area on the skin – a firm red nodule or a non-healing ulcer. The third kind of skin cancer is the deadliest and most agressive – Melanoma. Melanoma ... […]
- Skin cancer can develop even where the sun doesn’t shine on May 20, 2019 at 7:04 pm
The most common sign of skin cancer is a change in your skin, such as a sore that doesn’t heal, a new growth, or a change in an old growth, according to the Centers for Disease Control and ... […]
- Help Heal Your Skin from Within! on May 20, 2019 at 1:28 pm
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. If you are taking asthma medicines, do not ... […]
- 'It has this healing effect': Woman, 27, claims she got rid of her severe period pain for good by smearing menstrual blood on her skin on May 19, 2019 at 7:35 pm
A 26-year-old woman has claimed how she relieved her severe period pain by rubbing menstrual blood on her face during a ritual meditation. Yazmina Jade Adler, from Melbourne, said she was suffering ... […]
via Bing News