In the future, everything is going to be connected to the Internet—even our farm animals.
We’ll track cattle the same way we monitor human health: with always-on, wearable devices that follow animals wherever they go.
Several startups are working on these Fitbits for the farm yard. They hope to make detecting illness easier, and ultimately save the livestock industry money and reduce human risks by having fewer animals fall prey to disease.
Vishal Singh, CEO of Quantified Ag in Nebraska, says feedlot owners currently identify sick animals largely by observing them. If they look sick, they’re pulled out and checked. “In the feedlot industry, you have cattle in small areas. You have workers who have to visually identify the animals. The problem is they want to hide their symptoms, so humans aren’t able to pick up on them until they’re very sick.”
Quantified Ag is testing an ear-tag that monitors for temperature and other vital signs, as well as for animal movement. The data is transferred wirelessly to a central server where it’s analyzed for irregularities. When animals fall outside of a normal range, they can be pulled out and looked over.
“We’re removing that human observational element, so animals can’t hide their symptoms,” says Singh, who also teaches at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. “If the cow is starting to run a fever, they’re not going to be as active as they normally are. That’s one method of finding out if they’re not feeling well.”
The Latest on: Animal Monitoring
via Google News
The Latest on: Animal Monitoring
- In HCM City, administration, sellers closely monitor pork for disease on June 19, 2019 at 11:01 am
VNS Photo Le Viet Bao, head of the city Animal Husbandry and Veterinary sub-Department ... making it easy for authorities to monitor for safety. Le Thi Thu Thuy, Saigon Co.op’s quality management ... […]
- Kittens Being Thrown Off North Carolina Highways, Sparking Animal Cruelty Investigation on June 19, 2019 at 8:36 am
In a Facebook post , officials said extra patrols have been assigned to the bridge and the sheriff’s department is monitoring video ... be zero tolerance for animal cruelty in Craven County ... […]
- Predictive AI is the newest weapon in the battle to protect endangered animals on June 19, 2019 at 6:43 am
Wild dogs and other animals with no market value are left ... Through its integration with the Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool (SMART), PAWS could be introduced into about 100 wildlife ... […]
- Monitoring biodiversity with sound: How machines can enrich our knowledge on June 18, 2019 at 10:17 am
For a long time, ecologists have relied on their senses when it comes to recording animal populations and species diversity. However, modern programmable sound recording devices are now the better ... […]
- 380 Cats: ARL Concludes Its Madrid Animal Hoarding Rescue Mission on June 17, 2019 at 4:37 pm
MADRID, Iowa -- The Animal Rescue League says it has concluded ... home were in need of medical attention. The ARL has been monitoring the area with trail cameras and say there are no ... […]
- 32 animals, some dead, removed from Beechview alligator owner's home on June 12, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Pittsburgh police said 32 animals, including several reptiles ... 1 Burmese python1 granite Burmese python1 rattlesnake2 green iguanas2 small iguanas1 Nile monitor lizard4 hairless rats4 quails5 ... […]
- Humane Animal Rescue Caring For Majority Of Seized Exotic Pets on June 12, 2019 at 11:20 am
and one Nile Monitor Lizard. (Photo Credit: KDKA) “This was extreme. Having this many exotic animals show up is something that really throws us off. Our policies and procedures and what we’re ... […]
- What's Driving the Veterinary Therapeutics Market Growth? Prominent Players: Merck Animal Health, Elanco, Merial on June 12, 2019 at 1:44 am
Increasing Access to Treatment for Companion Animals to Propel the Market "The increasing research ... and development activities associated with veterinary therapeutic drug monitoring may impede the ... […]
- Animal Kingdom Recap: Smurf's Condition Revealed — Plus, [Spoiler]'s List of Kills Grows Yet Again on June 11, 2019 at 7:14 pm
Animal Kingdom Recap: Pope Rolls Out the Welcome Mat for Emily ... Outside, J crossed paths with Pope and, as Angela watched on the security monitor, questioned why he was helping her when he hadn’t ... […]
- 7-year-old raises thousands to donate stuffed animals to Cleveland Clinic Children’s Hospital on June 11, 2019 at 3:20 pm
CLEVELAND-- The wagon filled with stuffed animals was bigger than 7-year-old ... can't leave their room inside the pediatric epilepsy monitoring unit. For Walker, this special delivery is personal ... […]
via Bing News