Austrian scientists have developed the first artificial leg that stimulates “feeling” for the patient.
According to AFP, The prosthetic limb has sensors that connects to rewired nerve endings in the patient’s stump, so that the patient can feel the leg being moved as if it were a real one.
Austrian amputee Wolfgang Rangger was the first to test the device. “It feels like I have a foot again. It’s like a second lease of life,” he said. The former teacher lost his leg in 2007, after a blood clot caused by a stroke. Now, he goes running, cycling and climbing, with a barely noticeable limp. In addition, the “feeling” leg has cured him of phantom limb pain, which is caused by the brain seeking signals from the missing leg.
Professor Hubert Egger at the University of Linz developed the prosthesis. Previously, Egger created an artificial arm that could be controlled by the patient’s mind, using motor neurons that used to connect to the missing limb. The artificial leg with feeling uses the nerves in reverse: connecting the prosthesis to the brain.
First, surgeons rewired the nerve endings remaining in the patient’s stump to tissue closer to the surface of the thigh. Six sensors were added to the sole of the artificial foot, which allows it to sense motion and texture. The sensors are linked linked to stimulators inside the shaft, until it reaches the base of the stump, and conveys the sensations to the patient’s brain.
The Latest on: Artificial Limbs
via Google News
The Latest on: Artificial Limbs
- Retrenched car worker puts game-changing new limbs within reach on May 17, 2019 at 1:59 am
You can hear the emotion in Mat Bowtell's voice when he tries to describe how it feels to see a child using one of his 3D printed prosthetic limbs for the first time. "It's really hard to describe ... […]
- WHO support for prosthetic rehabilitation centre brings hope for patients with disabilities on May 16, 2019 at 6:10 pm
and his only hope for a better future depends on his ability to regain his mobility and independence with his new prosthetic limbs. The rehabilitation of trauma victims from Mosul is essential for ... […]
- Wisconsin Cat Gets New Prosthetic Legs on May 11, 2019 at 10:10 pm
A cat who lost his back legs when he was hit by a train got a new lease on life by getting new prosthetic limbs. They were designed by engineering students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison using ... […]
- Boy who lost limb to landmine in Afghanistan dances with joy after receiving prosthetic leg on May 10, 2019 at 11:59 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - A video of a little boy in Afghanistan dancing with happiness after receiving a new prosthetic leg has touched the hearts of many people around the world. The video, posted to the ... […]
- Afghan boy dances with joy after receiving prosthetic leg on May 10, 2019 at 11:17 am
Ahmad received artificial limb in @ICRC_af Orthopedic center, he shows his emotion with dance after getting limbs. He come from Logar and lost his leg in a landmine. This is how his life changed and ... […]
- Qatar's new artificial limb centre offers hope for Gaza amputees on May 10, 2019 at 3:52 am
The latest March of Return protest is expected in Gaza. Demonstrators have been assembling at the border fence every Friday for more than a year. Israeli forces have killed hundreds of Palestinians ... […]
- SEE IT: Landmine took his leg but Afghani boy gleefully dances on prosthetic limb on May 9, 2019 at 8:09 am
In a tearjerking video that’s gone viral, 5-year-old Afghani boy Ahmad Rahman begins to boogie in jubilation upon receiving the new prosthetic limb. He was just 8 months old when a landmine claimed ... […]
- Ahmad Sayed Rahman Receives New Prosthetic Limb from Red Cross in Kabul, Afghanistan on May 8, 2019 at 7:52 pm
This little boy had his leg amputated as a baby after a landmine explosion—watch the heartwarming moment he received a prosthetic limb. ... […]
- Adorable video shows an Afghan boy who lost his leg from a landmine dancing after receiving a prosthetic limb on May 8, 2019 at 12:13 pm
A 5-year-old boy from Afghanistan is over the moon after receiving a prosthetic leg — and he has quite the dance to prove it. In the adorable video, posted by the International Committee of the Red ... […]
- Boy who lost leg from landmine in Afghanistan dances after receiving prosthetic limb on May 8, 2019 at 5:19 am
A 5-year-old boy in Afghanistan who lost his leg when he was just a baby received a prosthetic one recently – and his reaction to the new limb is going viral. The video of the boy dancing with his ... […]
via Bing News