A new, ultra-reflective roof material is the first to stay cooler than the surrounding air
As summers keep getting hotter because of climate change, it sets up a vicious cycle: By the end of the century, the world may be using more than 30 times more energy for air conditioning, pushing temperatures up even more. But a new variation on cool roofs could help.
A typical dark roof soaks in sunlight, heating up the building underneath and releasing more heat back into the surrounding neighborhood at night. While cool roofs—made from white, reflective material—aren’t new, they still absorb some heat. A new material is the first to actually stay cooler than ambient air.
“What we set out to do was maximize the solar reflectance to see how far it could be pushed…to see the extent of further improvements that are possible with open roofing technologies,” says Angus Gentle, a researcher at the University of Technology Sydney, who developed the material along with physics professor Geoff Smith.
By adding layers of plastic on top of silver, the researchers were able to create a roof surface that bounces sunlight back into space, leaving it as much nine degrees cooler than a state-of-the-art cool roof. “The coating keeps the roof cool by reflecting almost all of the incoming solar radiation,” Gentle says. “A vast majority of this emitted radiation goes directly into space without being absorbed by the atmosphere.”
Compare that to a standard roof—which absorbs as much as 90% of light—or the best cool roofs, which can only reflect 70% to 85% of sun. “This still equates to a summer heat load of 150-300 watts per square meter of heat being absorbed,” says Gentle. In cities, roofs are a major driver of the so-called urban heat island effect, keeping urban neighborhoods several degrees warmer than less developed areas nearby.
The Latest on: Cool roofs
via Google News
The Latest on: Cool roofs
- 6 Men Battle for Chance to Fall Off Roof at WWE Money in the Bankon May 10, 2020 at 6:53 pm
AJ Styles, Rey Mysterio, Aleister Black, Daniel Bryan, Baron Corbin, and Otis took it to the roof for the WWE Money in The Bank briefcase.
- Around the house: No need to get heated over cooler that won't coolon May 8, 2020 at 11:00 pm
In your example, if you set a portable cooler in a room, it will increase the humidity to a certain level and that’s it. So instead, position it on a window sill or at about table-top height in the ...
- Cool Roof Coatings Marketon May 7, 2020 at 4:22 am
The report presents authentic and accurate research study on the global Cool Roof Coatings Market on the basis of qualitative and quantitative assessment done by the leading industry experts The ...
- SoFi Stadium's new double-sided video board is so coolon May 6, 2020 at 1:42 pm
The new home of the Rams and Chargers just turned on its one-of-a-kind video board and it is something to behold.
- Carrier Dome project moves fully into next phase; when will we see the new roof on the stadium?on May 5, 2020 at 11:23 am
The Carrier Dome roof replacement project is not slowing down even though a key phase is all finished. The project has been deemed essential by New York State and allowed to continue during the ...
- Cool photos of the BMW M850i xDrive Convertible (G14) from Australiaon May 4, 2020 at 12:49 am
Even though they are not very popular and sell in limited numbers, such cars are unique in giving a true, open air driving pleasure. Yes, they might be heavier than their rigid-roof counterparts due ...
- Weather: Stormy start to the week with thunderstorms, rain and cool temperatureson May 3, 2020 at 2:53 pm
The start of the week is looking thundery with lightning and short bursts of rain expected throughout the country. On Sunday, stormy weather caused a tree to smash into a roof and a building to flood.
- Cool Roof Coatings Market Demands, Growth and Development forecast 2019 to 2025on May 1, 2020 at 10:05 am
The “ Cool Roof Coatings Market ” an off-the-shelf research report has recently added by Market Insights Reports to get an in-depth analysis of different attributes of industries and providing timely ...
- Cool Roof Coatings Market Reach at a US$ 600 million by 2020-2026on April 30, 2020 at 5:24 am
According to the Acumen Research and Consulting, the global Cool Roof Coatings market is expected to reach at US$ 600 million by 2026, along with the projected CAGR of 7.9 % from 2020-2026. The ...
- U.S White Cool Roof Coating Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming yearson April 19, 2020 at 2:24 pm
This research study on the White Cool Roof Coating market enumerates details about this industry in terms of a detailed evaluation and also an in-depth assessment of this business. The White Cool Roof ...
via Bing News