A new, ultra-reflective roof material is the first to stay cooler than the surrounding air
As summers keep getting hotter because of climate change, it sets up a vicious cycle: By the end of the century, the world may be using more than 30 times more energy for air conditioning, pushing temperatures up even more. But a new variation on cool roofs could help.
A typical dark roof soaks in sunlight, heating up the building underneath and releasing more heat back into the surrounding neighborhood at night. While cool roofs—made from white, reflective material—aren’t new, they still absorb some heat. A new material is the first to actually stay cooler than ambient air.
“What we set out to do was maximize the solar reflectance to see how far it could be pushed…to see the extent of further improvements that are possible with open roofing technologies,” says Angus Gentle, a researcher at the University of Technology Sydney, who developed the material along with physics professor Geoff Smith.
By adding layers of plastic on top of silver, the researchers were able to create a roof surface that bounces sunlight back into space, leaving it as much nine degrees cooler than a state-of-the-art cool roof. “The coating keeps the roof cool by reflecting almost all of the incoming solar radiation,” Gentle says. “A vast majority of this emitted radiation goes directly into space without being absorbed by the atmosphere.”
Compare that to a standard roof—which absorbs as much as 90% of light—or the best cool roofs, which can only reflect 70% to 85% of sun. “This still equates to a summer heat load of 150-300 watts per square meter of heat being absorbed,” says Gentle. In cities, roofs are a major driver of the so-called urban heat island effect, keeping urban neighborhoods several degrees warmer than less developed areas nearby.
The Latest on: Cool roofs
via Google News
The Latest on: Cool roofs
- Fire destroys former Cool’s Caféon December 2, 2020 at 9:26 am
The former Cool’s Cafe building in Pacific succumbed to hot flames Tuesday morning. Just before 6 a.m. Dec. 1, Valley Regional Fire Authority firefighters responded to an initial report of a trash can ...
- Tryin' to cool down?on December 1, 2020 at 7:29 am
Fans not cooling you enough? Thinking of portable chillers? Listen to this before you pull out your ...
- Darth Vader helmet 'stolen by man who broke into production building through roof'on November 30, 2020 at 9:07 am
Frank Hebert, 38, allegedly stole Star Wars memorabilia - including a Darth Vader and Stormtrooper helmet - from J.J. Abrams' film company Bad Robot Productions.
- Soggy Saturday, Followed By A Big December Cool Downon November 28, 2020 at 5:00 am
There will be a north breeze of 10-20 mph with some higher gusts possible...not ideal for getting on the roof and stringing lights. We’ve got more chill in store for us as we head into December - ...
- Over head upkeep: Why to get a roof inspected before winter sets inon November 28, 2020 at 12:00 am
Give a little thought to the roof over your head. Whether its top layer is shingles, shakes, tiles or something else altogether, it keeps you dry when it rains, traps the heat when it’s cold and helps ...
- Cool Roof Coatings Market 2020 Analysis, Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026on November 26, 2020 at 5:38 pm
The global cool roof coatings market is expected to reach USD 5.95 billion by 2026 and is estimated to grow at a CAGR ...
- WATCH: Monday Night Football broadcast atop SoFi Stadium roofon November 25, 2020 at 8:11 am
Football was presented in a different light as the Los Angeles Rams broadcasted the game atop of the newly-created SoFi Stadium. Live game action was displayed on the roof of the stadium in a unique ...
- Stafford family needed new roof, and a break. He gave them one: 'You’ll pay it forward'on November 25, 2020 at 7:29 am
Mike Rank knew the DeAngelos needed a new roof, and that their baby daughter faces serious medical problems. What happened next was amazing.
- Cool for Yule: UK's four nations agree to relax coronavirus restrictions for Christmason November 24, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Covid-19 won't become the Grinch that steals Christmas from Britons, as England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have agreed to relax, for the festive season, the restrictions aimed at slowing ...
- Global White Cool Roof Coating Market 2020 Research Strategies, Trend and Future Development Status, Forecast by 2026on November 23, 2020 at 11:23 pm
Global White Cool Roof Coating Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 offers end to end industry from the definition, product specifications, and demand till ...
via Bing News