A new blood test has been developed that reads your entire virus history by analysing the antibodies in your bloodstream
Called VirScan it was developed by researchers at Harvard Medical School who insist that once it’s refined it will be cheap enough to mass produce. They estimate it will cost a mere £16 for the average person to take.
It works by analysing blood for antibodies for over 1,000 different strains of 206 human viruses simultaneously.
Because antibodies produced by the immune system to fight viruses stay in the blood stream for many years, the test can produce an accurate history of infections.
Up until now, most tests have revolved around looking for just a single virus. But the brains behind VirScan say it can process 100 samples in two to three days.
“We’ve developed a screening methodology to basically look back in time in people’s [blood] sera and see what they have experienced,” said Dr Stephen Elledge from Harvard Medical School, who led the development team.
“Instead of testing for one individual virus at a time, which is labour intensive, we can assay all these at once. It’s one-stop shopping,” he said.
The Latest on: Blood Test
via Google News
The Latest on: Blood Test
- The Hunt for a Blood Test for Alzheimer's Diseaseon November 30, 2019 at 9:12 pm
Using these analytic tools, which weren’t available just a few years ago, multiple labs around the world are now searching for new biomarkers of the disease to develop blood tests that can screen for ...
- 15-Ounce 'Micro-Preemie' Raising Awareness for Holiday Blood Donationson November 30, 2019 at 5:53 pm
"They're doing a lot of blood work on her and she can't produce enough blood to keep up with the tests" A tiny baby born four months early and weighing just 15-ounces has already made a name for ...
- The one-minute HIV test has come to Florida, and people are taking iton November 30, 2019 at 2:07 am
For the one-minute HIV test known as INSTI, a patient's blood is added to a small container of diluter fluid and the diluted blood is then poured into a test device where it's absorbed. Next comes a ...
- Hollyoaks spoilers: Blood tests confirm identity of Mercedes McQueen’s shooter?on November 29, 2019 at 2:58 pm
However, he’s given hope when the solicitor reveals that they’re waiting on the lab report from some blood that was found on the door of The Loft. Yes, he’s adamant that there’s no way the blood could ...
- Worldwide Blood Culture Tests Market Study, 2019-2025: New Product Launches Provide Impetus to Market Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.comon November 29, 2019 at 8:11 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Blood Culture Tests - Market Analysis, Trends, and Forecasts" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The Blood Culture Tests market worldwide is ...
- Clinical significance of positive fecal occult blood test in neonateson November 29, 2019 at 2:15 am
The fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is a screening tool for hematochezia. This study aims to summarize the clinical features associated with a positive FOBT in neonates and to explore some clues for ...
- Better way to interpret blood tests to diagnose pulmonary embolismon November 27, 2019 at 2:04 pm
A study led by Hamilton researchers has found a new way to interpret blood test results in patients who are investigated for blood clots in their lungs, a condition known as pulmonary embolism. This ...
- Major Research Funding for Blood Test to Accelerate Clinical Trials for New Frontotemporal Degeneration (FTD) Therapieson November 21, 2019 at 4:04 pm
Biomarkers are critical to this effort of developing drug therapies. Through this initial Diagnostics Accelerator investment in FTD research, the Bluefield Project will receive a $1.2 million award to ...
- Blood pregnancy tests can detect pregnancy sooner but are less convenient than at-home urine testson November 21, 2019 at 6:21 am
Blood pregnancy tests can tell you if you're pregnant 6 to 14 days after conception whereas you'll need to wait 14 to 18 days to take a urine test.
- Le'Veon Bell vows to never take another blood test for NFLon November 20, 2019 at 1:20 pm
I done had 5 “random” HGH blood test in 10 [email protected] I’m not doing another after today, whatever y’all lookin for it obviously ain’t there & I’m not about to keep allowing y’all ...
via Bing News