Of all the places where conflict could erupt, space might seem the least likely, except in movies. But increasingly, it is becoming a contested environment posing new dangers.
The United States sees this as a vital security issue. “Potential adversaries understand our reliance on space and want to take it away from us,” a senior Pentagon official, told Congress in March. And while everything from control of nuclear weapons to weather forecasting to cellphone use could be affected, the United States “is not adequately prepared for a conflict” in space with countries like China and Russia, he acknowledged.
The specific concern is the security of thousands of satellites and vehicles, like the international space station, that orbit Earth. America has long dominated space, but many other nations also have valuable assets in orbit.
Satellites enable the Pentagon to locate enemies on the battlefield, verify arms control treaties and ensure early warning if an adversary targeted the country with an intercontinental ballistic missile.
In the Cold War, the United States and Russia engaged in limited testing of antisatellite, or ASAT, weapons. Now China, and to a lesser extent Russia, are actively developing such offensive capabilities, including jammers, lasers and cyber weapons that could damage satellite operations.
A turning point came in 2007 when China conducted its first successful ASAT test by blowing up one of its own weather satellites. The hit unleashed more than 3,000 pieces of debris into space and fed suspicions about China’s intentions. Suggestions by Chinese experts that, in a conflict over Taiwan, Beijing might be able to shoot down an American early warning satellite only deepened American concerns.
Read more: Preventing a Space War
The Latest on: Space War
via Google News
The Latest on: Space War
- Does The Mandalorian Timeline Happen Before the Star Wars Rebels Finale Epilogue?on December 1, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Dave Filoni says that ‘Star Wars’ is not chronological, which has big implications for ‘The Mandalorian’ and ‘Rebels’.
- Cold War Security Body OSCE Set To Fill Leadership Vacuumon December 1, 2020 at 5:35 pm
The international security body OSCE is expected to fill an unprecedented leadership vacuum, during meetings Thursday and Friday, after it failed to reappoint four of its top leaders in July.
- Mark Hamill has a good reason for not lending his voice to the ‘Lego Star Wars Holiday Special’on December 1, 2020 at 4:12 pm
Star Wars” fans will have to do without actor Mark Hamill, who stood behind his principles rather than voicing a character in an animated short for the holiday season. One of those principles ...
- The Zillo Beast Is Star Wars' Version of Godzillaon December 1, 2020 at 3:49 pm
One episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars featured a Godzilla-like monster called the Zillo Beast rampaging on Coruscant.
- Fortnite's Galactus live event was an epic sci-fi shooter with flying space buseson December 1, 2020 at 2:39 pm
Fornite launched players into space on laser-firing buses to fight the giant Galactus, Devourer of Worlds, in an epic live event to end 1, 2020. For a few blissful minutes, players of the popular ...
- Trumpesque 'war in space' would be catastrophicon November 30, 2020 at 2:30 pm
OPINION: In 2019, US President Donald Trump declared “space is the new war-fighting domain”. This followed the creation of the US Space Force and a commitment to “American dominance” in ...
- 'War in space': A return to rules-based cooperation is the only way to keep space peacefulon November 30, 2020 at 7:33 am
US President Donald Trump declared "space is the new war-fighting domain." This followed the creation of the US Space Force and a commitment to "American dominance" in outer space.
- Fortnite goes galactic with space-themed skin for new subscription service launchon November 30, 2020 at 4:19 am
Fortnite will launch its Crew Pack Dec. 2, 2020 with the Galaxia skin, plus other bling. The popular battle royale game Fortnite picked a space theme to launch its new subscription service. The ...
- The best Cyber Monday gift deals for space fans in 2020on November 29, 2020 at 6:01 am
Cyber Monday 2020, like Black Friday, brings lots of out-of-this-world space deals for you, but make sure to buy with warp speed before these items disappear.Below is a roundup for the best online ...
- Relativity Space adds $500 million to 'war chest' for scaling production of 3D-printed rocketson November 23, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Relativity Space wants to use enormous 3D-printers to revolutionize the way rockets are built and now has a "war chest" of capital to do so.
via Bing News