Of all the places where conflict could erupt, space might seem the least likely, except in movies. But increasingly, it is becoming a contested environment posing new dangers.
The United States sees this as a vital security issue. “Potential adversaries understand our reliance on space and want to take it away from us,” a senior Pentagon official, told Congress in March. And while everything from control of nuclear weapons to weather forecasting to cellphone use could be affected, the United States “is not adequately prepared for a conflict” in space with countries like China and Russia, he acknowledged.
The specific concern is the security of thousands of satellites and vehicles, like the international space station, that orbit Earth. America has long dominated space, but many other nations also have valuable assets in orbit.
Satellites enable the Pentagon to locate enemies on the battlefield, verify arms control treaties and ensure early warning if an adversary targeted the country with an intercontinental ballistic missile.
In the Cold War, the United States and Russia engaged in limited testing of antisatellite, or ASAT, weapons. Now China, and to a lesser extent Russia, are actively developing such offensive capabilities, including jammers, lasers and cyber weapons that could damage satellite operations.
A turning point came in 2007 when China conducted its first successful ASAT test by blowing up one of its own weather satellites. The hit unleashed more than 3,000 pieces of debris into space and fed suspicions about China’s intentions. Suggestions by Chinese experts that, in a conflict over Taiwan, Beijing might be able to shoot down an American early warning satellite only deepened American concerns.
Read more: Preventing a Space War
The Latest on: Space War
via Google News
The Latest on: Space War
- Watch: New Transformers: War For Cybertron – Earthrise Promo Confirms Release Dateon November 26, 2020 at 5:21 am
One of the multiple Transformers movies in development recently gained a director when Creed II ‘s Steven Caple Jr. signed on to helm Paramount’s reboot of the Michael Bay timeline, but fans will get ...
- Breakingviews - Norway’s offices are prize in $3.4 billion bidding waron November 26, 2020 at 4:56 am
Norwegian offices have become the surprise must-have asset. That at least is what two Swedish companies have signalled this week by launching a bidding war for real estate firm Entra, valuing the Oslo ...
- Star Wars: Squadrons - The History of the B-Wing and TIE Defenderon November 26, 2020 at 4:19 am
Wing and TIE Defender this December, let’s delve into the obscure history of these powerful fighters. Motive Studios’ Star Wars: Squadrons has been quite well received as a space combat game and a ...
- Russia ‘successfully’ tests terrifying new 9,000MPH ‘star wars’ missile that can blow up US satellites in spaceon November 26, 2020 at 1:39 am
RUSSIA has tested a terrifying new 9,000mph “star wars” ballistic missile capable of destroying US satellites in space. The rocket was launched from the Sary-Shagan test site in ...
- Like a Rocket in the Garden: the Unending War in Afghanistanon November 26, 2020 at 1:14 am
I learned from young Afghan Peace Volunteer friends in Kabul that an insurgent group firing rockets into the city center hit the home of one volunteer’s relatives. Everyone inside was killed. Today, ...
- This War of Mine Receives Hefty Update and Big Discount on Switchon November 25, 2020 at 4:15 pm
This War of Mine gets a big update on Nintendo Switch, adding the final two pieces of DLC content. And, wouldn't you know it, it's on sale!
- Chief of Space Operations Discusses Need for Outreach to Partners, State of Space Forceon November 25, 2020 at 11:46 am
The importance of space to the modern world cannot be underestimated, and the U.S. Space Force will be key to defending the ultimate "high ground," the chief of space operations for the new service ...
- Lego's Millennium Falcon from 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' is 20% off this Black Fridayon November 25, 2020 at 7:40 am
"Star Wars" fans won’t want to miss out on Amazon’s great deal on Lego’s Millennium Falcon. The starship that appeared in both the very first Star Wars in 1977 and the latest movie in the franchise ...
- Relativity Space adds $500 million to 'war chest' for scaling production of 3D-printed rocketson November 23, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Relativity Space wants to use enormous 3D-printers to revolutionize the way rockets are built and now has a "war chest" of capital to do so.
- Pentagon builds new sensing weapons for space waron November 22, 2020 at 2:46 pm
Generation stealth fighter has already taken flight, a new class of ICBMs will soon fly through space, hundreds of new Low Earth Orbit satellites are shooting up beyond the earth’s atmosphere and ...
via Bing News