Of all the places where conflict could erupt, space might seem the least likely, except in movies. But increasingly, it is becoming a contested environment posing new dangers.
The United States sees this as a vital security issue. “Potential adversaries understand our reliance on space and want to take it away from us,” a senior Pentagon official, told Congress in March. And while everything from control of nuclear weapons to weather forecasting to cellphone use could be affected, the United States “is not adequately prepared for a conflict” in space with countries like China and Russia, he acknowledged.
The specific concern is the security of thousands of satellites and vehicles, like the international space station, that orbit Earth. America has long dominated space, but many other nations also have valuable assets in orbit.
Satellites enable the Pentagon to locate enemies on the battlefield, verify arms control treaties and ensure early warning if an adversary targeted the country with an intercontinental ballistic missile.
In the Cold War, the United States and Russia engaged in limited testing of antisatellite, or ASAT, weapons. Now China, and to a lesser extent Russia, are actively developing such offensive capabilities, including jammers, lasers and cyber weapons that could damage satellite operations.
A turning point came in 2007 when China conducted its first successful ASAT test by blowing up one of its own weather satellites. The hit unleashed more than 3,000 pieces of debris into space and fed suspicions about China’s intentions. Suggestions by Chinese experts that, in a conflict over Taiwan, Beijing might be able to shoot down an American early warning satellite only deepened American concerns.
Read more: Preventing a Space War
The Latest on: Space War
via Google News
The Latest on: Space War
- CBS Reportedly Plans To Bring Back Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s Captain Siskoon October 11, 2020 at 11:52 am
CBS reportedly has plans to bring back Avery Brooks as Deep Space Nine's Captain Sisko in a future Star Trek project.
- Space Mountain is the next Disney ride to hit the big screenon October 11, 2020 at 9:20 am
The popular Space Mountain roller coaster will be the next Disney ride to make it onto the big screen, and in keeping with its theme, will have a "Star Wars" twist with "Obi-Wan Kenobi" writer Joby ...
- Mark Kelly's views on Space Force, NASA's Artemis return to the moon are problematicon October 11, 2020 at 9:00 am
Why would Mark Kelly, a former Navy aviator and astronaut, be against the U.S. launching another mission to the moon? His opposition to a separate Space Force and the Artemis lunar program seem to be ...
- Star Wars: Everything We Know About The High Republic's Starlight Beaconon October 10, 2020 at 6:59 pm
The High Republic will take place in the Starlight Beacon space station, the Jedi's navigational lighthouse for the unmapped Outer Rim.
- Are the best 'Star Wars' stories now in video games? 'Star Wars: Squadrons' makes the caseon October 10, 2020 at 7:48 am
Some of the best "Star Wars" narratives are in video games. "Squadrons" is no exception. And in VR it almost replicates a theme park experience.
- A Space Mountain Movie Is In The Works From A ‘Star Wars’ Universe Writeron October 9, 2020 at 3:08 pm
The House of Mouse is apparently keen on turning Space Mountain into a movie franchise. Logline details are being kept hidden amidst the rings of Saturn but it is described as a family adventure. The ...
- Kenobi Writer Developing Space Mountain Movie for Disneyon October 9, 2020 at 2:57 pm
In the tradition of Disney making movies based on its attractions, next on the block is Space Mountain which will be heading to the big screen courtesy of the writer for the Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Wars ...
- How Star Wars: Squadrons Captures the Spirit of Classic Star Wars Flight Gameson October 9, 2020 at 8:20 am
TIE Fighter, the incredible 1994 dogfighting space sim, opens with a mission in which you’re given the task of inspecting incoming bulk freighters after The Battle of Hoth, while also keeping your ...
- Star Wars: Squadrons’ multiplayer is the space combat game I’ve been waiting foron October 9, 2020 at 8:00 am
It’s been a rocky few years for multiplayer Star Wars games. In 2015, EA revived the Battlefront franchise only to deliver a beautiful but shallow arcade experience that didn’t require much skill.
- ‘Star Wars: Squadrons’ is (almost) the starfighter sim I’ve been looking foron October 9, 2020 at 5:45 am
Squadrons,” EA’s new starfighter simulation set in the galaxy, far, far away. There’s the familiar sound of the screaming TIE Fighter; the whir of the X-wing’s S-foils locking into attack position; ...
via Bing News