University of Tokyo researchers have developed a new ink that can be printed on textiles in a single step to form highly conductive and stretchable connections.
This new functional ink will enable electronic apparel such as sportswear and underwear incorporating sensing devices for measuring a range of biological indicators such as heart rate and muscle contraction.
Current printed electronics, such as transistors, light emitted diodes and solar panels, can be printed on plastic or paper substrates, but these substrates tend to be rigid or hard. The use of soft, stretchable material would enable a new generation of wearable devices that fit themselves to the human body. However, it has proved difficult to make an ink that is both highly conductive and elastic without a complicated multi-step printing process.
Now, Professor Takao Someya’s research group at the University of Tokyo’s Graduate School of Engineering has developed an elastic conducting ink that is easily printed on textiles and patterned in a single printing step. This ink is comprised of silver flakes, organic solvent, fluorine rubber and fluorine surfactant. The ink exhibited high conductivity even when it was stretched to more than three times its original length, which marks the highest value reported for stretchable conductors that can be extended to more than two and a half times their original length.
Using this new ink, the group created a wrist-band muscle activity sensor by printing an elastic conductor on a sportswear material and combining it with an organic transistor amplifier circuit. This sensor can measure muscle activity by detecting muscle electrical potentials over an area of 4×4 square centimeters with nine electrodes placed 2 centimeters apart in a 3×3 grid.
Read more: New conductive ink for electronic apparel
The Latest on: Electronic apparel
via Google News
The Latest on: Electronic apparel
- Gimme that: Chippo backyard golf gameon November 26, 2020 at 5:04 am
Chippo combines golf and cornhole. It's the only backyard game where you can battle your buddies, while improving your short game.
- Global Golf Apparel Market 2020 Report Presents Complete Summary, Marketplace Shares and Growth Opportunities by 2025on November 26, 2020 at 2:04 am
Global Golf Apparel Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 offers a clear view of the current proceeding within the market. The report analyzes the key factors ...
- The Art of the Side Hustle: Brother International Corporation Launches New Campaign Spotlighting Crafters Turning Passion into Profiton November 23, 2020 at 11:06 am
Brother USA Celebrates the Art of the Side Hustle Spotlighting Entrepreneurs Tabitha Sewer, Celine Benz and Chris Tock in new Campaign to Empower Makers. (PRNewsfoto/Brother International Corporation) ...
- Athletic apparel giant Lululemon stretches out to Atlanta for new board memberon November 23, 2020 at 10:53 am
Canadian sportswear apparel brand Lululemon Athletica tapped an Atlanta-based investment banker to join its board of directors.
- North America Smart Clothing Market to record substantial gains by 2024on November 18, 2020 at 9:43 pm
The North America smart clothing industry, as per the given report, recorded valuation of USD 150 million in 2017 and would cross to a mammoth of USD 3 billion by 2024, growing at a rate of 50%. The ...
- Apparel exports request govt for pre-FTA deal with UKon November 17, 2020 at 11:02 pm
Chairman A. Sakthivel, has urged the government to strike a pre-FTA preferential trade deal to remove the tariff disadvantage faced by Indian apparels in the UK. A corporate retail face of IANS Group, ...
- Megan Thee Stallion Talks New Fashion Nova Clothing Line for ‘Curvier Girls’on November 17, 2020 at 1:29 pm
Megan Thee Stallion is not only set to drop her debut album, “Good News,” this Friday, she’s also launching her Fashion Nova collection on Wednesday (Nov. 18). Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, the ...
- Textiles and Clothing Newson November 11, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Apr. 23, 2020 — Researchers developed a way to incorporate electronic sensors into stretchy ... a Technique for Comfortable Light-Emitting Clothing Mar. 4, 2020 — An approach for developing ...
- Business and Market Analysis of Worldwide Trends in High Performance Activewear and Corporate Apparelon November 4, 2020 at 4:45 am
Performance Apparel Markets is available on subscription - either in printed format only or in printed and electronic format. If you choose the printed only option, you will receive 4 printed ...
- Gimme that: TravisMathew’s Off the Dock vest is the layering piece you needon October 29, 2020 at 12:10 pm
Whether it’s an article of clothing, an intriguing electronic device, a piece of equipment designed to increase golf’s enjoyment factor — or anything in between — we want to share these ...
via Bing News