University of Tokyo researchers have developed a new ink that can be printed on textiles in a single step to form highly conductive and stretchable connections.
This new functional ink will enable electronic apparel such as sportswear and underwear incorporating sensing devices for measuring a range of biological indicators such as heart rate and muscle contraction.
Current printed electronics, such as transistors, light emitted diodes and solar panels, can be printed on plastic or paper substrates, but these substrates tend to be rigid or hard. The use of soft, stretchable material would enable a new generation of wearable devices that fit themselves to the human body. However, it has proved difficult to make an ink that is both highly conductive and elastic without a complicated multi-step printing process.
Now, Professor Takao Someya’s research group at the University of Tokyo’s Graduate School of Engineering has developed an elastic conducting ink that is easily printed on textiles and patterned in a single printing step. This ink is comprised of silver flakes, organic solvent, fluorine rubber and fluorine surfactant. The ink exhibited high conductivity even when it was stretched to more than three times its original length, which marks the highest value reported for stretchable conductors that can be extended to more than two and a half times their original length.
Using this new ink, the group created a wrist-band muscle activity sensor by printing an elastic conductor on a sportswear material and combining it with an organic transistor amplifier circuit. This sensor can measure muscle activity by detecting muscle electrical potentials over an area of 4×4 square centimeters with nine electrodes placed 2 centimeters apart in a 3×3 grid.
Read more: New conductive ink for electronic apparel
The Latest on: Electronic apparel
via Google News
The Latest on: Electronic apparel
- RECCO’s Next-Gen Search and Rescue Technology Arrives in North Americaon February 25, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Like many safety innovations, RECCO‘s integrated electronic location system was developed after ... and there is a more recent push to put the reflectors in alpine climbing clothing pieces. For ...
- The robots return! Kraftwerk to play Radio City on 50th anniversary touron February 25, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Four German pioneers of electronic music are uniting once more for a Kraftwerk 50th anniversary tour throughout North America — including a stop at Radio City Music Hall on July 18. Known for robotic ...
- RAIN RFID Solutions Market 2020 Global Trends, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025- MRE Analysison February 25, 2020 at 9:44 am
Based on Application the global RAIN RFID Solutions market is segmented in Apparel and Footwear, Retail, Logistics, Asset Management, Medical, Air Baggage and Cargo, Electronic Vehicle Identification, ...
- Bluetooth stickers on your clothing? Startup Wiliot gets $20M for tracking techon February 24, 2020 at 7:01 am
Companies could tag anything that’s not an electronic device, expanding the universe of what’s “connected ... A more creative application is being considered by Wiliot’s fashion client, which can ...
- High-risk sex offender cuts off electronic-monitoring bracelet and leaves Downtown Eastside residenceon February 22, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Kirstjon Olson, 38, was also required to wear an electronic-monitoring bracelet. But according to the VPD, he cut off the device and left his Downtown Eastside residence after midnight wearing black ...
- Smart Textiles Market to Witness Growth Acceleration during 2019-2030 - Google, AiQ Smart Clothing, Interactive Wearon February 18, 2020 at 2:27 am
Market Industry Reports (MIR) has announced the addition of the “Global Smart Textiles Market Research Report 2019-2030” The report focuses on global major leading industry players with information ...
- Police: D.C. Everest HS teacher, Greil, allegedly recorded underneath female student's clothingon February 14, 2020 at 4:07 pm
MARATHON COUNTY - A D.C. Everest High School teacher has been accused of using an electronic device in school to record underneath the clothing of students without their consent per a media release.
- Art House Productions And The Tank Bring WHEN WE WENT ELECTRONIC To Jersey Cityon February 11, 2020 at 2:52 pm
Two Made in USA American Apparel models search for their missing memory after ... Patrons are invited to Art House's When We Went Electronic opening night party on Friday, March 20 at 8:00pm. Tickets ...
- Electronic article surveillance market to grow at CAGR of 3.6% from 2019 to 2024on January 25, 2020 at 10:02 pm
Apparel and fashion accessories stores to hold ... The market in APAC is expected to exhibit the highest growth rate in the electronic article surveillance market.The growth is attributed mainly ...
- Designer clothing that allows to manage electronic deviceson August 13, 2019 at 12:08 am
breathable and antibacterial self-powered clothing is based on omniphobic triboelectric nanogenerators (RF-TENGs) which use simple embroidery and fluorinated molecules to embed small electronic ...
via Bing News