Graphene is the modern go-to material for scientists and engineers looking to create all manner of new electronic devices.
From ultra-frugal light bulbs (both big and small), to super-efficient solar cells, flexible displays and much more, graphene is a multi-tasking marvel. However, in all of these instances, graphene in its original form of atom-thin, flat sheets has had to be used with peripheral supports and structures because it lacks a solid shape and form of its own.
Now researchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) have come up with a way of creating 3D objects out of graphene that opens up the possibility of fashioning a whole new range of innovative electronic devices.
To create 3D shapes in graphene, the researchers first had to ensure that their approach was sufficient to maintain the structural integrity of the material when it was subjected to deformation. As such, the team used an underlying substrate former over which they laid a film of graphene that had been soaked in solvent to make it swell and become malleable. Once overlaid on the former, the solvent then evaporated over time, leaving behind a layer of graphene that had taken on the shape of the underlying structure. In this way the team was able to produce a range of relatively intricate shapes.
“We also expect that our new 3D integration approach will facilitate advanced classes of hybrid devices between microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and 2D materials for sensing and actuation,” said SungWoo Nam.
Read more: Graphene takes on a new dimension
The Latest on: 3D shapes in graphene
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D shapes in graphene
- Now, a method for 3D printing extraterrestrial materialson May 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
which they previously employed to print hyperelastic "bone," 3D graphene and carbon nanotubes, and metals and alloys. "For places like other planets and moons, where resources are limited ...
- Ultra-long-working-distance spectroscopy with 3D-printed aspherical microlenseson May 7, 2020 at 7:59 am
that can easily be manufactured by laser 3D printing technique on top of various materials, including fragile novel 2D graphene-like materials (Light: Science and Applications, ...
- Ultra-long-working-distance spectroscopy with 3D-printed aspherical microlenseson May 7, 2020 at 6:40 am
that can easily be manufactured by laser 3D printing technique on top of various materials, including fragile novel 2D graphene-like materials. The presented lenses increase the extraction of ...
- Semiconductor to metal transition in two-dimensional gold and its van der Waals heterostack with grapheneon May 6, 2020 at 2:29 am
Dimensionality of a material is a critical parameter to control its electronic properties. Here, the authors report that 2D gold transforms from a semiconductor, with valence band maximum 50 meV below ...
- Lomiko securing a foothold on the development of graphene and 3D printingon May 5, 2020 at 5:00 pm
May 6, 2014 — Tracy Weslosky, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of InvestorIntel interviews A. Paul Gill, CEO of Lomiko Metals (‘Lomiko’, TSXV: LMR | OTCQX: LMRMF) on how Lomiko is establishing a foothold ...
- 3D Printer Market Opportunities Keep the Bullish Growth Alive | Stratasys, Graphene 3D lab, ExOne Co, Autodeskon April 15, 2020 at 3:38 pm
Some of the key players profiled in the study are Stratasys Ltd. (United States), Graphene 3D lab (United States ... is helpful in producing intricate shapes with ease. Growing focus on reduction ...
- Evaluating 3D printed Gelatin-Hydroxyapatite-Reduced Graphene Oxide Nanocompositeson April 12, 2020 at 11:45 pm
Graphene sheets were interconnected, forming a 3D structure, with graphene peaks ... These changes in the shape of the cracks are also noticeable in the case of the gelatin-HA-rGO scaffold ...
- Grafoid and Altamat to develop mass market graphene based 3D printable powderson April 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm
of virtually any shape.” 3D printing requires the use of polymers; however, when these polymers are combined with graphene, they acquire far superior properties in mechanical strength and conductivity ...
- Graphene-based actuator swarm enables programmable deformationon March 31, 2020 at 5:00 pm
scientists at Jilin University and Tsinghua University present a self-healing graphene actuator swarm that enables programmable 3D deformation by integrating SU-8 pattern arrays with GO.
- 3D Grapheneon September 3, 2018 at 9:27 pm
3D -printing with graphene results in objects which unlock the ability to theoretically create any size or shape of graphene. 3D-printed graphene octet truss aerogel on strawberry blossom. (Image: ...
via Bing News