An international project aims to enable the next great scientific advances in global marine research by making marine data sets more easily accessible to researchers worldwide
Currently different data formats between research centres pose a challenge to oceanographic researchers, who need unified data sets to get the most complete picture possible of the ocean. This project, called ODIP II, aims to solve this problem using NERC’s world-class vocabulary server to ‘translate’ between these different data semantics. The vocabulary server, which is effectively now an international standard for a service of this kind, was developed by the British Oceanographic Data Centre (BODC); a national facility operated as part of the National Oceanography Centre (NOC).
The Head of BODC Dr Graham Allen, which is leading the vocabularies aspect of ODIP II, said “This project will open up the possibilities of global marine research. For example, if scientists could access all the data on ocean temperature from, say, the North Sea, they would get a much more comprehensive insight into changes in ocean circulation there. Data management innovations like this enable the next big global scientific advances to happen.”
ODIP II is a collaboration between the USA, Australia and the EU, which are led by British Geological Survey and MARIS (Netherlands). The EU’s Horizon2020 programme has provided €2M for this project. By the time ODIP II is complete, in May 2018, it aims to have developed a means of seamlessly sharing and managing marine data between the EU, the USA and Australia, by co-ordinating the existing regional marine e-infrastructures.
Helen Glaves of British Geological Survey, who is leading ODIP II welcomed the extension: “ODIP has already succeeded in demonstrating a coordinated approach to the sharing of marine data on a global scale through the development of prototypes. This new funding will not only allow these prototype solutions to become fully operational, but will also enable the scope of the current project to be widened.”
The Latest on: Global marine research
via Google News
The Latest on: Global marine research
- Future ocean conditions could cause significant changes in marine musselson October 9, 2020 at 9:22 am
The increased temperature and acidification of our oceans over the next century have been argued to cause significant physical changes in an economically important marine species.
- Luxury Yacht Market to Reach 310 Units by 2024, Alexander Marine Co. Ltd. and Azimut Benetti Spa Emerge as Key Contributors to Growth| Technavioon October 9, 2020 at 9:04 am
Technavio has been monitoring the luxury yacht market and it is poised to grow by 310 units during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 11% during the forecast period. The report offers an ...
- Worldwide Marine & Container Terminal Operation Industry to 2024 - Players Include PSA International, DP World & CK Hutchison Holdingson October 9, 2020 at 4:43 am
The "Global Marine & Container Terminal Operation - Industry Market Research Report" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Ongoing trade liberalization, global economic expansion ...
- Global Automotive Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Market 2020 – Industry Dynamics, Segmentation and Competition Analysis 2025on October 8, 2020 at 11:41 pm
This research is exceptionally advantageous to pursuers ... Global Fire Automation System Market Scope Global Marine Autopilots Market 2020, Global Marine Autopilots Market Price, Global Marine ...
- Future ocean conditions could cause significant physical changes in marine musselson October 8, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Scientists showed increased temperature and acidification of our oceans over the next century could have a range of effects on an economically important marine species.
- Reinforced Plastics Market to Garner $295.6 Billion, Globally, By 2027 at 4.1% CAGR, Says Allied Market Researchon October 8, 2020 at 6:15 am
Allied Market Research published a report, titled, "Reinforced Plastics Market by Fiber Type (Glass Fiber, Carbon Fiber, Aramid Fiber, ...
- Global Marine Autopilots Market Recent Study Including Business Growth, Development Factors and Growth Analysis 2020-2025on October 8, 2020 at 1:09 am
Global Marine Autopilots Market Growth 2020-2025 introduces the overview of the industry which clarifies the definition and specifications of Marine Autopilots. The report explains a comparative ...
- Perspective: Reflections on a decade of global industry collaboration on marine litteron October 1, 2020 at 6:06 am
In 2011, recognizing the need to address the growing challenge of marine litter, a determined group of plastics industry associations from around the world initiated a coordinated effort to help ...
- Global Marine Sealant Market Covid-19 Pandemic Study and Latest Technology, Industry Expansion Strategies Till 2029on September 30, 2020 at 5:53 am
Market.us delivers granular analysis of Marine Sealant Market 2020-2029-Onset of Advanced Technologies to Upsurge the Growth Opportunities and Forecast to 2029, which includes global industry analysis ...
- Global Maritime Fenders (Marine Fender) Market 2020 Analysis of Key Trend, Industry Dynamics and Future Growth 2025on September 29, 2020 at 8:41 pm
The research report titled Global Maritime Fenders (Marine Fender) Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type ...
via Bing News