RMIT researchers are using state-of-the-art modelling techniques to study the effects of wind on cities, paving the way for design innovations in building, energy harvesting and drone technology.
The turbulence modelling studies will allow engineers to optimise the shape of buildings, as well as identify areas of rapid airflow within cities that could be used to harvest energy.
Researchers also hope to use the airflow studies to develop more energy efficient drones that use the power of updrafts during flight.
Dr Abdulghani Mohamed, from RMIT’s Unmanned Aircraft Systems research group, said simulations developed by the research team can visualise the shape of updrafts as they developed over buildings and show their variation over time.
“By analysing the interaction of wind with buildings, our research opens new possibilities for improving designs to take better advantage of nature,” he said.
“Buildings can be built to enhance airflow at street level and ventilation, while wind turbines can be precisely positioned in high-speed airflow areas for urban energy harvesting – providing free power for low-energy electronics.
“The airflow simulations will also help us further our work on energy harvesting for micro-sized drones, developing technology that can helping them use updrafts to gain height quicker and fly for longer, without using extra energy.”
Scientists and engineers have traditionally relied on building small-scale city replicas and testing them in wind tunnels to make detailed airflow predictions.
This time-consuming and expensive process is being gradually replaced with numerical flow simulations, also known as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
Read more: Design innovations are blowing in the wind
The Latest on: Design innovations
via Google News
The Latest on: Design innovations
- Davis Design welcomes back Larson and Detmeron January 11, 2020 at 9:00 pm
Davis Design is excited to welcome back Ron Larson, architect, and Jeff Detmer, architectural designer. Larson, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C, is no stranger to Davis Design. He began his tenure in 2000, ...
- What is Total Innovation Management? Achieving Excellence from Idea Generation to Implementationon January 11, 2020 at 8:22 am
In addition to innovation management – the software also provides a centralized location in which an enterprise can manage design thinking, tech scouting, continuous improvement initiatives, and more.
- CES 2020 Highlights: All The Best Tech Innovations Unveiled At The Biggest Trade Showon January 11, 2020 at 7:50 am
It features a durable design that passed 12 regulations of the military-standard (MIL-STD-810G ... The CES 2020 in Las Vegas has just capped off, but you can check the best products and innovations ...
- Wawa Looks to Deliver Big Innovations With Small Locationon January 10, 2020 at 10:29 am
“At Wawa, we strive to accommodate our customers in multiple ways and this new store design is geared towards meeting the needs of our local community ... a new line of “Good to Go” hot and cold items ...
- Best of the best: Our 10 favorite CES 2020 Best of Innovation award winnerson January 10, 2020 at 8:35 am
Each year, CES combs through thousands of products for The CES Innovation Awards, an annual competition honoring outstanding design and engineering in consumer technology products. A panel of industry ...
- Wella Professionals Unveils Innovations Set to Shape the Future of the Augmented Hair Salon Experienceon January 10, 2020 at 7:34 am
The award-winning Smart Mirror, developed in partnership with CareOS, a CES® 2020 Innovation Awards Honoree, enhances the hair color experience ... Color DJ is the world’s first in-salon device for ...
- Electrical Design Software Market is Booming Worldwide with Surrey Satellite Technology, Sierra Nevada Corporation, Axelspace Corporationon January 10, 2020 at 3:41 am
Advance Market Analytics released the research report of Global Electrical Design Software Market, offers a detailed overview of the factors influencing the global business scope. Electrical Design ...
- CES 2020 Innovation Awards: Winners and trendson January 9, 2020 at 8:13 am
Each year, CES runs an extensive programme of innovation awards, selecting a subset of the thousands of products on show on the basis of their engineering, aesthetics and design, uniqueness, the ...
- How To Overcome The Curious State Of Innovation Strategieson January 9, 2020 at 7:05 am
Innovation often feels like playing an organizational whack-a-mole game. Every time a new challenge pops up, businesses pour time, money, and resources into taking a swat at resolving it. Yet all too ...
- Games For Change Announces $10K Design Challenge Sponsored By AARP Innovation Labson January 8, 2020 at 2:30 pm
/PRNewswire/ -- Games for Change is excited to announce the VR for Change Alcove Challenge, sponsored by AARP Innovation Labs. Using the AlcoveTM VR ...
via Bing News