British scientists invent aircraft wings that can fix themselves in mid-flight in breakthrough for ‘self-healing technology’
This week the team of British scientists will unveil their major technological advancement – billed as a crucial step in the emerging scientific field – at a Royal Society meeting in London.
It means self-healing nail polish, golf clubs, tennis racquets, fishing rods, bike helmets and the end of cracked mobile phone screens could all now be just around the corner.
The research, which a team of University of Bristol scientists have spent the past three years working on, would allow aircraft wings to repair themselves mid-flight following a bird strike.
Speaking to The Independent on Sunday about developing the technology, the team’s leader Professor Duncan Wass said he expected consumers to be able to purchase self-healing products in the ‘very near future’.
The researchers worked with aerospace engineers at the university to look at ways to prevent tiny cracks forming in an aircraft’s wings and fuselage.
The solution they came up with involves adding tiny, hollow ‘microspheres’ to the carbon fibre composite materials used widely in the manufacture of commercial aircraft wings. These break on impact, releasing a liquid healing agent which seeps into the cracks left by the damage.
It then comes into contact with a catalyst which triggers a rapid chemical reaction that causes the agent to harden. The material was found to be just as strong after it was ‘healed’.
Professor Wass said: ‘We took inspiration from the human body.
‘We’ve not evolved to withstand any damage – if we were like that we’d have a skin as thick as a rhinoceros – but if we do get damaged, we bleed, and it scabs and heals.
‘We just put that same sort of function into a synthetic material: let’s have something that can heal itself.’
The Latest on: Self-healing technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Self-healing technology
- Self-Healing Grid Marketon December 3, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Market Research Future published a research report on Global Self Healing Grid Market Global industry Forecast To 2023 Market Analysis Scope Stake Progress Trends and Forecast to 2023 Market Analysis ...
- Smart Screen Heal Thyselfon December 2, 2020 at 7:16 pm
The Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) have announced a transparent, self-healing polyimide material designed for smart phone screens. A KIST team from the Composite Materials ...
- Ohio Edison Wraps Up Grid Modernization Work to Enhance Service Reliabilityon December 2, 2020 at 11:47 am
Work to enhance reliability for more than 200,000 customers in parts of Trumbull, Mahoning, Ashtabula, and Columbiana counties.
- Taking a People-centric Approach to End-User ITon December 2, 2020 at 8:51 am
A people-centric approach to end-user IT is the answer. Companies come in different sizes with different technology needs and IT budgets. The best option is one that considers how your people work and ...
- Absolute Software to Present at the Raymond James Technology Investors Conferenceon December 2, 2020 at 5:00 am
Absolute Software (TSX:ABST) (Nasdaq:ABST), a leader in Endpoint Resilience™ solutions, today announced the company will be presenting at the Raymond James Virtual Technology Investors Conference on ...
- Self-Healing Grid Market : Technological Advancements to Play a Key Role in Growth 2020-2029 | General Electric Company, ABB Ltd.on December 2, 2020 at 12:27 am
A consciously conceived and designed business intelligence report titled Global Self-Healing Grid market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type, and Application, Forecast to 2029 by MarketResearch.biz discloses ...
- GM Nikola Agreement Loses Its Sparkon November 30, 2020 at 11:25 am
Under a new non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Nikola Corp. and General Motors signed today, the two companies are altering the scope of their previous strategic partnership ...
- KEMET Advances Hybrid Aluminum Polymer Capacitor Technology for Automotive and Industrial Applicationson November 25, 2020 at 9:23 am
KEMET, a subsidiary of Yageo Corporation (“Yageo”) (TAIEX: 2327) and leading global supplier of electronic components, today announces the ...
- BMW iX has special ‘self-healing’ sensor-friendly grille, high-tech roofon November 24, 2020 at 7:00 am
The upcoming BMW iX will feature a grille whose “role has turned digital,” creating potentially new considerations for the common collision repair surface. BMW ...
- TCS OmniStore™ Named the POS Technology of the Year at the Retail Systems Awards 2020on November 22, 2020 at 10:52 pm
Tata Consultancy Services’ Unified Commerce Platform was Recognized for its Innovative Use of Technology to Enable Integrated Omni-channel Customer Journeys and Holistic Shopping Experiences LONDON | ...
via Bing News