British scientists invent aircraft wings that can fix themselves in mid-flight in breakthrough for ‘self-healing technology’
This week the team of British scientists will unveil their major technological advancement – billed as a crucial step in the emerging scientific field – at a Royal Society meeting in London.
It means self-healing nail polish, golf clubs, tennis racquets, fishing rods, bike helmets and the end of cracked mobile phone screens could all now be just around the corner.
The research, which a team of University of Bristol scientists have spent the past three years working on, would allow aircraft wings to repair themselves mid-flight following a bird strike.
Speaking to The Independent on Sunday about developing the technology, the team’s leader Professor Duncan Wass said he expected consumers to be able to purchase self-healing products in the ‘very near future’.
The researchers worked with aerospace engineers at the university to look at ways to prevent tiny cracks forming in an aircraft’s wings and fuselage.
The solution they came up with involves adding tiny, hollow ‘microspheres’ to the carbon fibre composite materials used widely in the manufacture of commercial aircraft wings. These break on impact, releasing a liquid healing agent which seeps into the cracks left by the damage.
It then comes into contact with a catalyst which triggers a rapid chemical reaction that causes the agent to harden. The material was found to be just as strong after it was ‘healed’.
Professor Wass said: ‘We took inspiration from the human body.
‘We’ve not evolved to withstand any damage – if we were like that we’d have a skin as thick as a rhinoceros – but if we do get damaged, we bleed, and it scabs and heals.
‘We just put that same sort of function into a synthetic material: let’s have something that can heal itself.’
The Latest on: Self-healing technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Self-healing technology
- A self-healing nanofiber sensor for temperature-sensitive logisticson March 22, 2020 at 5:13 pm
"Unfortunately, conventional TTIs are very limited to be broadly used for many practical applications," Dr. Dongyeop Oh, a Senior Researcher at the Research Center for Industrial Chemical ...
- Constructing Electrically and Mechanically Self-Healing Elastomers by Hydrogen Bonded Intermolecular Networkon March 21, 2020 at 12:10 am
State Key Laboratory of Electronic Thin Films and Integrated Devices, School of Optoelectronic Science and Engineering, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC), Chengdu 610054 ...
- Europe Self-Healing Materials Market 2020 is Evolving Rapidly with Economic Growth, Demand, and Forthcoming Opportunitieson March 20, 2020 at 10:10 pm
technology, segmentation in terms of region and industry competition, profit and loss ration, and investment ideas. A precise evaluation of effective manufacturing techniques, advertisement techniques ...
- Asia Pacific Electronic Skin Technology Market 2020: Incredible Growthon March 17, 2020 at 11:06 pm
"Electronic skin refers to flexible, stretchable and self-healing electronics that are able to mimic functionalities of human or animal skin. The market research on the Electronic Skin Technology ...
- Asia Pacific Electronic Skin Technology in Medical Market Exploring the Present and Future Stateon March 17, 2020 at 4:02 am
The global Electronic Skin Technology in Medical market report offers information relating to the leading regions, competitive landscape, growth trends, and other crucial information about the growth ...
- The self-healing car: a car that cares for itselfon March 13, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Car care has come a long way over the years, but the latest technology is surprising even the specialists working in the area. A self-healing car sounds like the work of science fiction ...
- Infosys Ranked a Leader in NelsonHall's Cognitive and Self-Healing IT Infrastructure Management Services Report 2020on March 13, 2020 at 12:33 pm
Infosys Ranked a Leader in NelsonHall's Cognitive and Self-Healing IT Infrastructure Management Services Report 2020 ...
- Infosys Ranked a Leader in NelsonHall's Cognitive and Self-Healing IT Infrastructure Management Services Report 2020on March 13, 2020 at 12:49 am
BENGALURU, India, March 13, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Infosys has been ranked a Leader in NelsonHall's Cognitive and Self-Healing IT Infrastructure Management Services report 2020. Infosys emerged as ...
- These materials have self-healing capabilities, just like Wolverine's skinon March 12, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Mashable is a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. Powered by its own proprietary technology, Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture and entertainment content ...
- We may soon find self-healing glass on Samsung smartphoneson March 6, 2020 at 9:00 am
Samsung has been investing in research and development of new technology that will improve their smartphones, and now we see a patent for self-healing glass A couple of weeks ago we got ...
via Bing News