Researchers at the University of Queensland (UQ) have developed a breakthrough vaccine-style rheumatoid arthritis treatment targeting the underlying cause of the disease rather than the symptoms.
Lead researcher Professor Ranjeny Thomas from UQ Diamantina Institute said the treatment worked by teaching the patient’s immune system to ignore a peptide it wrongly deemed to be a foreign enemy.
“It’s rather re-educating the immune system so that instead of responding to that enemy to actually stop responding or to make a counter regulatory peace-making effort against the enemy so that things will quieten down,” she said.
Researchers designed the treatment for people with the most common form of rheumatoid arthritis called CCP-positive.
In the first phase human trials they took a sample of patients’ blood, added an anti-inflammatory and the “foreign” peptide, then re-injected the modified cells back into the patient.
Professor Thomas said inflammation was noticeably reduced.
The results showing the treatment to be safe and effective have been published today in the influential journal Science Translational Medicine.
“It’s significant because it really is a new way of thinking about how to treat diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and it will have applications for other diseases as well which is similar like type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis.”
Researchers working on nano-particle vaccine
Professor Thomas said researchers were developing a ready-made vaccine to inject directly into patients.
“The way that we’ve published it in the trial is not something that is necessarily easy to take forward because it involves taking cells out, modifying them, putting them back,” she said.
“So we’ve also been working on a technology that involves doing this in a more practical way for patients and a more cost-effective way.
The Latest on: Arthritis treatment
via Google News
The Latest on: Arthritis treatment
- AbbVie’s Successor to Humira Wins FDA OK for Rheumatoid Arthritison August 16, 2019 at 3:29 pm
won the regulatory OK Friday as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The FDA approved upadacitinib (Rinvoq) for adults with RA whose disease hasn’t responded to other treatments.
- FDA approves Humira maker AbbVie's new rheumatoid arthritis drugon August 16, 2019 at 3:23 pm
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Friday approved AbbVie's new treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, a win for the drugmaker seeking to widen its portfolio as its blockbuster flagship therapy ...
- AbbVie prices new rheumatoid arthritis drug at $59,000/yron August 16, 2019 at 10:49 am
Aug 16 (Reuters) - AbbVie Inc has priced its new rheumatoid arthritis treatment at $59,000 a year after gaining U.S. approval on Friday, a big boost for the drugmaker struggling with rising ...
- AbbVie Receives FDA Approval of RINVOQ™ (upadacitinib), an Oral JAK Inhibitor For The Treatment of Moderate to Severe Rheumatoid Arthritison August 16, 2019 at 10:00 am
- RINVOQ (upadacitinib) met all primary and ranked secondary endpoints across a variety of patients with moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis[1-7] - Durable remission rates with ...
- FDA approves AbbVie's new rheumatoid arthritis drugon August 16, 2019 at 9:32 am
(Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Friday approved AbbVie Inc's new treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, a win for the drugmaker seeking to widen its portfolio as its blockbuster ...
- European Medicines Agency Validates Marketing Application for Filgotinib for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritison August 15, 2019 at 3:48 pm
Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD) and Galapagos NV (Euronext & NASDAQ: GLPG) today announced that the Marketing Authorization Application (MAA) for filgotinib, an investigational, oral, selective JAK1 ...
- Galapagos NV: European Medicines Agency validates marketing application for filgotinib for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritison August 15, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Foster City, Calif. and Mechelen, Belgium - August 15, 2019 22.01 CET - Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD) and Galapagos NV (Euronext & NASDAQ: GLPG) today announced that the Marketing Authorization ...
- How to treat arthritis in older dogson August 15, 2019 at 7:45 am
but many pet owners use it for their pet’s arthritis and see good results. “Neutroceutical” is a term used to describe a food or food part that provides medicinal or health benefits including the ...
- Psoriatic Arthritis Treatment Market – Global Industry Analysis, Market Size, Opportunities and Forecast, 2019 – 2026on August 13, 2019 at 6:18 am
Aug 13, 2019 (Global QYResearch via COMTEX) -- Acumen Research and Consulting has announced the addition of the “Psoriatic Arthritis Treatment Market” report to their offering. The Psoriatic Arthritis ...
- Psoriatic Arthritis Treatment Market to Reach US$ 12,175.2 Mn by 2026, Exhibiting a CAGR of 8.5% | Fortune Business Insightson August 13, 2019 at 4:17 am
Increasing Adoption of Biological Therapies to Favor Growth of Biological Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs Segment The report classifies the global Psoriatic Arthritis Treatment Market on the ...
via Bing News