3D printing is a rapidly advancing field, that is sometimes referred to as the ‘new cornerstone of the manufacturing industry’. However, at present, 3D printing is mostly limited to plastics. If metals could be used for 3D printing as well, this would open a wide new range of possibilities.
Metals conduct electricity and heat very well, and they’re very robust. Therefore, 3D printing in metals would allow manufacturing of entirely new devices and components, such as small cooling elements or connections between stacked chips in smartphones.
However, metals melt at a high temperature. This makes controlled deposition of metal droplets highly challenging. Thermally robust nozzles are required to process liquid metals, but these are hardly available. For small structures in particular (from 100 nanometres to 10 micrometres) no good solutions for this problem existed yet.
Researchers from FOM and the University of Twente now made a major step towards high-resolution metal printing. They used laser light to melt copper and gold into micrometre-sized droplets and deposited these in a controlled manner. In this method, a pulsed laser is focused on a thin metal film. that locally melts and deforms into a flying drop. The researchers then carefully position this drop onto a substrate. By repeating the process, a 3D structure is made. For example, the researchers stacked thousands of drops to form micro-pillars with a height of 2 millimetres and a diameter of 5 micrometres. They also printed vertical electrodes in a cavity, as well as lines of copper. In effect, virtually any shape can be printed by smartly choosing the location of the drop impact.
The Latest on: 3D metal printing
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D metal printing
- Beijing: 3D Printing Molybdenum Ion Thruster Componentson July 6, 2019 at 2:40 am
Common metal materials used are titanium ... and it was found that they met design requirements,” stated the authors. 3D printing of the keepers is still in the development phase, although ... […]
- JGMAKER Magic 3D Printer DIY Kit with Filament Sensor and Resume Print Metal Base 220x220x250mm 110V US Plugon July 4, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Your destination for all things hosting and more! Find the best providers, plans and deals, learn what you need to know to build your web presence and optimize your site. Use our comparison tools and ... […]
- Sciaky Joins R&D Initiative to Combine Traditional Metallurgy with Wirefed Metal 3D Printing Techniqueson July 4, 2019 at 2:16 am
Metal 3D printing solutions provider Sciaky, Inc., well known for its extremely popular Electron Beam Additive Manufacturing (EBAM) process, just announced that it has entered into a research and ... […]
- VW trained AIs to design better 3D printed car partson July 3, 2019 at 9:46 am
Even just picking out potential candidates for replacement with 3D printing or alternative forms is a tough job ... the Generative Design parts were then made from traditional materials like metal. ... […]
- Powerful laser diodes cut stress in metal 3D-printed partson July 2, 2019 at 9:26 am
When the diodes were used, the bridge did not deflect anymore, the researchers said. Smith said, “Building the parts was similar to how a normal metal 3D printer works, but the novel part of our ... […]
- Scientific, technological and economic issues in metal printing and their solutionson July 1, 2019 at 8:25 am
3D printing is now widely used in aerospace, healthcare, energy, automotive and other industries. Metal printing, in particular, is the fastest growing sector, yet its development presents scientific, ... […]
- 3D Printing Is Finally Ready For Its Close-Upon June 30, 2019 at 9:58 am
3D printing is a cool idea. You spec out product details, insert the raw materials like resin or malleable metal into a black box, then push a button to print. The hardware and digital file take care ... […]
- ExOne and Siemens Partner to Bring Industry 4.0 to Industrial 3D Printingon June 26, 2019 at 1:15 pm
“We are proud to be the first industrial 3D printer to fully integrate the latest of Siemens control, sensing and motion technologies and this new MindSphere technology, which will give our ... […]
- Next-Gen 3D Printing Is Finally Ready for Its Close-Up: Here's How to Play Iton June 26, 2019 at 8:30 am
It would mean the end of inventories and new business models. 3D printing is a cool idea. You spec out product details, insert the raw materials such as resin or malleable metal into a black box, then ... […]
- Hilliard company could add 3D printing center, 40 jobson June 25, 2019 at 11:54 am
A Hilliard company is eyeing an expansion that would add a research and development center for additive manufacturing, better known as 3D printing. Metal fabricator Proto Precision Manufacturing ... […]
via Bing News