The PowerWall will store excess solar energy, take power from the grid when it’s cheapest, and provide back-up power in emergencies.
Elon Musk has a vision of a world powered entirely with renewable energy and sleek-looking batteries built by Tesla.
After much speculation, Tesla finally announced its secret new product: a series of battery systems for homes, utilities, and businesses. The batteries are all under the umbrella of what the company is calling Tesla Energy.
It’s more exciting than it sounds.
The batteries can provide backup power during grid outages, store excess solar energy for when the sun isn’t shining (instead of sending it back to the grid at wholesale prices), and store power from the electric grid when it’s cheapest—instead of tapping into the grid when energy usage is at its costly peak. This means that electric vehicle owners can store energy during the day and charge their cars with that energy at night.
Musk, Tesla’s CEO, hammered home his vision during a livestreamed press conference. After walking on stage, the first thing he did—before announcing anything about Tesla Energy—was show a picture of a coal plant and a graph of the growing CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
“I think we collectively should do something about this, and not try to win the Darwin Award,” he said, referring to cheeky awards given to people who die in especially stupid ways. “The obvious problem with solar power is that the sun doesn’t shine at night. Even during the day, energy generation varies. It’s important to smooth out that energy generation and retain enough so that you can use it at night.”
The Tesla Energy batteries are a way to do that—and to hear Musk tell it, they’re much better than other storage batteries that have come before. “The issue with existing batteries is that they suck. They’re expensive, they’re unreliable, they’re sort of stinky, ugly, and bad in every way,” he said.
Tesla’s product for homes, called the PowerWall Home Battery, is made up of a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, a control system, and software. It comes in two versions: a 10kWh/$3,500 pack, ideal for backup power applications, and a 7kWh/$3,000 version for daily use. That cost excludes installation and the inverter, so the real price could be significantly higher. The PowerWall is available to buy on Tesla’s website now, with shipping in the next three or four months.
“It looks like a beautiful sculpture on the wall,” said Musk. The PowerWall is stackable (up to nine can be stacked at once) and can be mounted in a garage or on the outside of a house.
The Latest on: Home battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Home battery
- Home battery scheme off to sluggish start in SA, despite $6,000 subsidyon October 30, 2019 at 1:50 pm
South Australia's ambitious subsidised home battery scheme has apparently lost its spark, with figures showing just a handful of households have taken up the offer. Only 3,700 households have so far ...
- Charleston Battery sold to new owner after 3 tumultuous years under former leadershipon October 30, 2019 at 11:27 am
The Battery has agreed to play its 2020 season at College of Charleston's Ralph Lundy Field at Patriots Point. The Battery is finalizing an agreement with the college to play all of its home games ...
- Port St. Lucie police charge Hialeah man with kidnapping, battery; 2 other men at largeon October 30, 2019 at 9:00 am
Michel Abreu Ulloa, 32, of Hialeah, was arrested Monday and charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon ... kidnapping cases in Fort Pierce Police said he had been battered by three armed ...
- Kevin Spacey sexual battery case rejected by L.A. prosecutors after accuser dieson October 30, 2019 at 4:35 am
Los Angeles prosecutors have rejected a sexual battery case against Kevin Spacey because the accuser has died. The Los Angeles County District Attorney's office announced the decision Tuesday about ...
- Los Angeles prosecutors won’t charge Kevin Spacey sex battery caseon October 30, 2019 at 2:15 am
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office announced the decision Tuesday. The case stemmed from a masseur’s allegations that Spacey inappropriately touched him during a massage session at a ...
- Los Angeles prosecutors reject Kevin Spacey sex battery caseon October 29, 2019 at 3:21 pm
Los Angeles prosecutors have rejected a sexual battery case against Spacey because the accuser has died. The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office announced the decision Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019 ...
- Blink and you might miss Amazon’s big sale on Blink home cameras with 2-year battery lifeon October 29, 2019 at 1:01 pm
the Blink Indoor Home Security Camera System is as good as it gets. These battery-powered cameras can be mounted anywhere in a matter of minutes and they have class-leading battery life that lasts as ...
- Today only: Turn your Google Home into a portable speaker with the Ninety7 Battery Base for $20 ($30 off)on October 28, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Notice a bug? Let us know here.
- Blink XT2 home security cameras with insane 2-year battery life are back down to Prime Day priceson October 28, 2019 at 7:45 am
They do pretty much everything you’d expect any other camera to do, but they’re also completely wireless and they have amazing 2-year battery life! Mount them inside your home, outside your home, or ...
- Lake Barrington man charged with home invasion, battery to an elderly person: Buffalo Grove policeon October 28, 2019 at 12:06 am
Makushenko is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 13. Mark E. Dykstra, 45, of the 700 block of Oakhill Road, Lake Barrington, was charged Oct. 17 with home invasion/cause injury, aggravated/great bodily ...
via Bing News