A supermarket in France has become the first in the world to install an “indoor positioning system” created by Philips. The LED-based technology acts like a sat-nav for shoppers, providing in-store directions to shopping list items via their phones.
Carrefour is one of the world’s largest retailers. At its newly-refurbished hypermarket in Lille, fluorescent lighting has been replaced with 800 linear LED fixtures totaling 2.5 km (1.6 mi).
In addition to reducing the store’s electricity usage by a projected 50 percent, the LED lighting has integrated Philips’ Visible Light Communication technology. Using this, the light produced by each luminaire transmits a unique code that is undetectable to the human eye.
The code can, however, be picked picked up by the camera on shopper’s smartphone and read by Carrefour’s accompanying iOS mobile app. Using the app, it is possible for shoppers to find out exactly where they’re located in the huge store, navigate the 7,800 sq m (84,000 sq ft) shop-floor to find items they need and also be directed to promotions and products that are on offer.
The Latest on: Indoor sat-nav
via Google News
The Latest on: Indoor sat-nav
- Nicola Sturgeon reveals hopes for staycation next month to celebrate birthdayon June 17, 2020 at 10:39 am
Phase two could also pave the way for the reopening of smaller shops, some factories and other non-office indoor workplaces. Meanwhile, pubs and restaurants could be able to open outdoor areas.
- James McFadden on mastering technique, his France stunner and the Springburn street football that shaped his careeron June 14, 2020 at 7:53 am
The Scotland legend sat down with Scott McDermott to look back on the moments that shaped his brilliant career.
- Citroen C-Crosser 2009 - long-term teston June 10, 2020 at 5:00 pm
One minor grumble is with the screen for the optional sat-nav/entertainment system ... while his daughter turned the boot into her own indoor campsite! At the end of the holiday, he was convinced ...
- The Big Sheep – Review for familieson April 5, 2019 at 2:14 am
The Sat Nav postcode is EX39 5AP. Yes, there are actual sheep there. The Big Sheep is a wonderful and rather strange attraction aimed at children and families. They have four main areas of ...
- Crealy Great Adventure Park – Review for familieson February 22, 2019 at 12:37 am
The Sat Nav postcode is EX5 1DR. £££ – A family of 4 can cost ... What’s on offer Crealy’s is home to a host of indoor and outdoor rides and attractions, including a water flume, several water rides, ...
- Ford Transit Custom Nugget campervan pitches upon January 18, 2019 at 9:12 am
In the cockpit, the Nugget comes with a healthy amount of storage space and an eight-inch infotainment system fitted with sat-nav and Ford SYNC 3, allowing support for voice and gesture control.
- DAYS OUT: Lose yourself in an a-maize-ing escapeon July 29, 2017 at 7:57 pm
THERE is no map, no signposts and a sat nav can’t help ... “We encourage people to bring a picnic - we have plenty of indoor and outdoor picnic areas,” says Sarah. Parking is free, toilets ...
- Novotel Sénart Golf de Greenparcon February 25, 2016 at 5:55 am
There was not enough space for someone to get into bed The address is not precise enough for a sat nav. We were told we had arrived ... some time in the countryside when you stay at Novotel Sénart ...
via Bing News