- A DNA vaccine helped lower blood pressure for up to six months, reduced tissue damage to the heart and blood vessels associated with hypertension in rats.
- If future research shows the vaccine is a viable treatment option in humans, it could improve high blood pressure levels.
A vaccine may one day help lower blood pressure for up to six months, according to new research in the American Heart Association’s journal Hypertension.
The study in rats may eventually provide a novel alternative to treat high blood pressure in people, who would not need to take a pill everyday.
“The potential of a vaccine for hypertension offers an innovative treatment that could be very effective for the control of non-compliance which is one of the major problems in the management of hypertensive patients,” said Hironori Nakagami M.D., Ph.D., study co-author and professor at Osaka University in Japan.
Researchers have designed a DNA vaccine that targets angiotensin II ? a hormone that raises blood pressure by causing blood vessels to constrict. This narrowing can increase your blood pressure and force your heart to work harder.
In the study, researchers immunized hypertensive rats three times at two-week intervals with needleless injections. The vaccine not only lowered blood pressure for up to six months, but also reduced tissue damage to the heart and blood vessels associated with hypertension. There were no signs of damage to other organs such as the kidney or liver.
The DNA vaccine works similar to common ACE inhibitor blood pressure medications which help blood vessels relax and open up, which, in turn, lowers blood pressure. Other types of vaccines have been tested for hypertension (e.g. a peptide vaccine), but didn’t have lasting effects and some had undesirable side effects.
The ultimate goal of an anti-hypertensive vaccine is to achieve perfect blood pressure control by improving drug compliance through the vaccine. In addition, in the developing countries like Africa and south Asia, anti-hypertensive drugs such as ARB (angiotensin receptor blockade) are expensive. A DNA vaccine may provide cheaper and effective anti-hypertensive treatments in such countries, researchers said.
The Latest on: DNA vaccine
via Google News
The Latest on: DNA vaccine
- Inovio reports progress on experimental Covid-19 vaccineon May 12, 2020 at 12:55 pm
Plymouth Meeting-based Inovio Pharmaceuticals reports progress on its potential Covid-19 vaccine and says it expects to begin testing the candidate in frontline health care workers this summer.
- The race to find a coronavirus vaccine: How other viruses put researchers aheadon May 12, 2020 at 7:33 am
Kizzmekia Corbett, who leads the National Institutes of Health coronavirus vaccine collaboration with Moderna, told CBS News at the start of the outbreak in January that the SARS vaccine gave ...
- What you need to know about four potential COVID-19 vaccineson May 12, 2020 at 4:00 am
The coronavirus pandemic has set off an unprecedented global scramble for a vaccine.
- Oxidized mitochondrial DNA sensing by STING signaling promotes the antitumor effect of an irradiated immunogenic cancer cell vaccineon May 12, 2020 at 1:32 am
Exposure to ionizing radiation, a physical treatment that inactivates live tumor cells, has been extensively applied to enhance the antitumor responses induced by cancer cell vaccines in both animal ...
- DNA Vaccines Market Growth Segment by Industry Scope 2020 Booming Strategies of Top Companies, Global Countries Data Forecast to 2026on May 11, 2020 at 11:42 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." Global “DNA Vaccines Market” report provides valuable information regarding new products in the market, current scenario ...
- Inovio’s COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate Has the Edge Over Moderna’s, Says 5-Star Analyston May 11, 2020 at 12:15 pm
While the axiom could be applied to any field, it has become particularly relevant when considering the urgent global need for a COVID-19 vaccine. There are currently 123 vaccines in development ...
- A strategic approach to COVID-19 vaccine R&Don May 11, 2020 at 7:31 am
There is an unprecedented need to manufacture and distribute enough safe and effective vaccine to immunize an extraordinarily large number of individuals in order to protect the entire global ...
- Inovio To Report Q1 Results As It Develops Coronavirus Vaccine: What To Expecton May 11, 2020 at 7:22 am
Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: INO) along with Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA) are front-runners among the companies developing vaccines for the SARS-CoV-2, the virus ...
- DNA Vaccines Market Growth Outlook Beyond 2020 | Players Profiled GSK, Sanofi, Zoties, Elancoon May 11, 2020 at 5:57 am
A new business intelligence report released by HTF MI with title "Global DNA Vaccines Sales Market Report 2019" is designed covering micro level of analysis by manufacturers and key business segments.
- German DNA Vaccine Market Analysis 2020, Featuring Profiles of Market Players Eli Lilly, GE Healthcare, Merck and Novartison May 5, 2020 at 2:03 am
The "Germany DNA Vaccine Market 2019-2025" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Germany is Europe's largest.
via Bing News