New material is 1,000 times more conductive than commercially available materials currently on the market
Scientists at A*A*STAR’s Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE) have invented a new type of thermoplastic thread that can be used in 3D printers to create functional circuits for use in electrical gadgets.
“I believe this will revolutionise desk-top manufacturing for electronic gadgets,” said Dr Johnson Goh, IMRE scientist and Head of the Science and Engineering Research Council’s (SERC) Nanofabrication and Characterisation Group and Principal Investigator of this project.
Dr Goh and his team have successfully used this new material to print prototypes such as a USB connector that can light up a LED bulb, complex three-dimensional circuits, and a wearable flexible sensor.
The resistivity of IMRE’s thermoplastic material is in the range of 0.5-1.0 Wcm, about 1,000 times more conductive than most commercially available plastic filaments for 3D printing. The filament is strong enough to stay intact throughout the 3D printing process in a conventional thermoplastic 3D printer.
“Objects in various colours, shapes and textures complete with functional circuits including wires, resistors and capacitors, could one day be printed in the comfort of one’s home,” said Dr Kwok Sen Wai, one of the key scientists in the team.
The team has found that using IMRE material to 3D print circuits rather than creating circuits through the conventional etching-and-soldering method is much safer, faster and cheaper. In addition, such circuits have highly uniform conductivity, with less than a 5 percent variation, compared to more than a hundred percent in commercially available conductive filaments.
“We believe that our material will encourage more innovation and entrepreneurship as it will empower people to make prototypes more easily and cheaply,” added Dr Kwok.
The Latest on: 3D-printing of circuits
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D-printing of circuits
- New Decade, New Viruson February 3, 2020 at 5:58 pm
If you have ideas or questions please bring them, but no prior 3D printing experience is required ... visit our website or contact Sigrid Resh. Community Makerspace: Paper Circuits At 6 p.m. today ...
- Fish & Richardson Elevates 14 Attorneys to Principalon February 3, 2020 at 3:39 pm
Fish & Richardson has elevated 14 attorneys to principals at the firm, effective January 1, 2020. The new principals in the firm's Intellectual Property Litigation Group are Bailey Benedict and Tony ...
- Leading NYU Tandon hardware security researcher named an IEEE fellowon February 3, 2020 at 11:12 am
World’s largest technical professional association honors Ramesh Karri for contributions to securing the supply chain for electronic design and manufacturing; his recent pioneering work addresses 3D ...
- Global Next Generation Military Power Supply Industry 2019 Global Market Size, Technology Review, Cost Analysis and Demand Overviewon February 3, 2020 at 8:41 am
In order to make the power supply work in adverse situations seamlessly, circuit boards are encased in metal and shielded from electromagnetic ... products such as wearable computing, Internet of ...
- Quantum computing research gets Rs 8,000-crore push in Budget 2020on February 2, 2020 at 12:01 am
The announcements were part of a plan meant to encourage a “new economy” that made use of technology such as artificial intelligence, Internet-of-Things, and data analytics.
- Portland students tackle traffic-snarling train crossing, Lake Oswego teacher puts phones in pouches: The week in educationon February 1, 2020 at 6:35 am
The event begins at 8:30 a.m. OMSI has a new teen tech center meant to help students from traditionally underserved communities learn skills in robotics, music and video production, 3D printing and ...
- Budget proposes ₹6,000 cr to connect all gram panchayats under Bharat Neton February 1, 2020 at 6:21 am
Emerging technologies like artificial intelligence (AI), Internet-of-Things (IoT), 3D printing, drones ... For instance, it has increased the custom duties on Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) to ...
- Structural Electronics Market Size, Status, Global Demand and Business Opportunities 2020 to 2025on January 29, 2020 at 12:29 pm
Global Structural Electronics Market This market research provides an analysis of the most important trends expected to impact the market outlook during the forecast period. Research classifies an ...
- PCB Software Market Trends, Outlook, Opportunity Till 2027on January 27, 2020 at 1:41 am
The report covers the forecast and analysis of the PCB Software market on a global and regional level. The study provides historical data from 2015 to 2018 along with a forecast from 2019 to 2027 ...
- Encryption Battles May Inform Fights Over 3D Printing Ruleon January 23, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Even under the less stringent standards imposed by Commerce, the Ninth Circuit ruled in Bernstein v. Department of Justice in 1999 that ... The agency argued in its rules, which were finalized last ...
via Bing News