Researchers have demonstrated a new metal matrix composite that is so light that it can float on water. A boat made of such lightweight composites will not sink despite damage to its structure. The new material also promises to improve automotive fuel economy because it combines light weight with heat resistance.
Although syntactic foams have been around for many years, this is the first development of a lightweight metal matrix syntactic foam. It is the work of a team of researchers from Deep Springs Technology (DST) and the New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering.
Their magnesium alloy matrix composite is reinforced with silicon carbide hollow particles and has a density of only 0.92 grams per cubic centimeter compared to 1.0 g/cc of water. Not only does it have a density lower than that of water, it is strong enough to withstand the rigorous conditions faced in the marine environment.
Significant efforts in recent years have focused on developing lightweight polymer matrix composites to replace heavier metal-based components in automobiles and marine vessels. The technology for the new composite is very close to maturation and could be put into prototypes for testing within three years. Amphibious vehicles such as the Ultra Heavy-lift Amphibious Connector (UHAC) being developed by the U.S. Marine Corps can especially benefit from the light weight and high buoyancy offered by the new syntactic foams, the researchers explained.
“This new development of very light metal matrix composites can swing the pendulum back in favor of metallic materials,” forecasted Nikhil Gupta, an NYU School of Engineering professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and the study’s co-author. “The ability of metals to withstand higher temperatures can be a huge advantage for these composites in engine and exhaust components, quite apart from structural parts.”
The syntactic foam made by DST and NYU captures the lightness of foams, but adds substantial strength. The secret of this syntactic foam starts with a matrix made of a magnesium alloy, which is then turned into foam by adding strong, lightweight silicon carbide hollow spheres developed and manufactured by DST. A single sphere’s shell can withstand pressure of over 25,000 pounds per square inch (PSI) before it ruptures—one hundred times the maximum pressure in a fire hose.
The Latest on: Metal matrix composite
via Google News
The Latest on: Metal matrix composite
- Functional Composites Market Study Dynamics on Challenges, Threats and Revenue Forecast Period 2020-2029on November 29, 2019 at 1:15 am
Global Functional Composites Market by Formulation, 2020-2029: On the basis of shape type, the market is segmented into Metal Matrix, Polymer Matrix, Ceramic Matrix, Hybrid Matrix, Thermally ...
- Marine Composites Market Worth $5.29 Billion by 2025 | CAGR: 5.0%: Grand View Research, Inc.on November 18, 2019 at 2:40 am
Metal, Polymer ((By Fiber (Glass, Carbon), By Resin (Polyester, Epoxy)), By Application, And Segment Forecasts, 2019 - 2025" at: ...
- The Future of Aerospace Metal Matrix Composites Market in the forecast period (2019-2024) as predicted by Stratview Researchon October 23, 2019 at 5:00 am
The report on Aerospace Metal Mstrix Composites to be published by Stratview Research focusses on current trend insights and also predicts about the market condition and its future in the forecast ...
- Composite metal foam outperforms aluminum for use in aircraft wingson October 21, 2019 at 7:50 am
New research shows that a combination of steel composite metal foam (CMF) and epoxy resin has more desirable ... such as stainless steel or titanium—embedded in a metallic matrix made of steel, ...
- Composite Metal Foam Outperforms Aluminum for Use in Aircraft Wingson October 20, 2019 at 5:00 pm
New research shows that a combination of steel composite metal foam (CMF) and epoxy resin has more desirable ... the hollow spheres and into much smaller pores found in the steel matrix itself. This ...
- Metal Matrix Composite Market – Global Industry to Record Significant Growth in the Near Future 2019-2025on October 16, 2019 at 5:58 am
ResearchMoz present a comprehensive research report namely “Global (United States, European Union and China) Metal Matrix Composite Market Research Report 2019-2025” which reveals an extensive ...
- Growth of 3D-Printed Composite Materials Market to be Impacted by the Increase in Demand for Carbon Fiber Composites | Technavioon October 10, 2019 at 7:27 pm
It provides a comprehensive analysis of the market, including its global and regional market share as well as market segmentation based on type (polymer matrix composites, metal matrix composites, and ...
- Metal Matrix Composites Suppliers serving Eastern Massachusettson October 8, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Custom manufacturer of clad metal and metal matrix composites. Capabilities are annealing, cladding, electrowinning, skiving, slitting, EB welding, metal bonding, leveling, rolling, plating, and toll ...
- Metal Matrix Composite Structures Supplierson October 3, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Custom manufacturer of composite systems including precision metal matrix composite structures & parts. Types of composite structures include CMC-encased carbon/carbon structures, ZrC structures, HfC ...
- Automated joining of hybrid metal-thermoplastic composite structureson September 24, 2019 at 8:59 am
The induction coil in the consolidation tool causes the metal to heat, which melts the composite matrix and creates the joint. “Pressure is applied throughout heating and cooling,” notes Weidmann.
via Bing News