The banana-hued, boxcar-sized drone was on display at the Navy’s Sea-Air-Space conference this week in National Harbor, Md. It can stay underwater for 30 days – and launch weapons.
Military officials are hoping that the Navy’s new yellow submarine – the latest high-tech advance in underwater drones – is going to revolutionize the way the Pentagon fights wars all over the world.
Developing these drones, however, means unlocking some tricky linchpins in unmanned technology in an effort to teach military machines autonomous behavior, which entails delving into what officials call “memory mapping” and other particulars of how people’s brains work.
For this reason, it’s important to understand “not just algorithms,” says Rear Adm. Mathias Winter, “but also the humanistic side – understanding neural networks and how we make decisions.”
Standing in an expo booth next to the banana-hued, boxcar-sized unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV) at the Navy’s Sea-Air-Space conference this week, Rear Admiral Winter, who heads up the Office of Naval Research, oversees some 1,100 PhDs working for the service’s high-tech arm.
“I am continuously amazed with the underwater breakthrough technologies,” he says, glancing at a small “swarming” drone displayed just above his head at the expo in National Harbor, Md.
These breakthroughs include exploring not just decisionmaking technology, but also “off the charts, revolutionary” leaps forward in battery life and power storage to allow such crafts to one day operate for “months and years” underwater, Winter adds.
The Latest on: Decisionmaking technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Decisionmaking technology
- Intel's (INTC) CEO Robert Swan Presents at Credit Suisse 24th Annual Technology Conference (Transcript)on December 1, 2020 at 5:09 pm
INTC) Credit Suisse 24th Annual Technology Conference December 1, 2020 10:00 AM ET Company Participants Robert Swan – Chief Executive Officer Conference Call Participants John Pitzer – Credit Suisse ...
- UPDATE -- Rackspace Technology Announces New Solve Strategy Series Webinar: How Businesses are ...on December 1, 2020 at 3:52 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Rackspace Technology™ (NASDAQ: RXT), a leading end-to-end multicloud technology solutions company, will hold the virtual event How Businesses are using AI and Machine Learning ...
- Rackspace Technology Announces New Solve Strategy Series Webinar: How Businesses are using AI and Machine Learning Todayon November 30, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Rackspace Technology™ (NASDAQ:RXT), a leading end-to-end multicloud technology solutions company, will hold the ...
- 5G Technology Market Forecasts to 2025: Global Industry Growth, Share, Size, Trends and Segmentation Reporton November 30, 2020 at 8:00 pm
G technology is efficient and low investment network compared to other technologies. The rising demand of higher speed rates of internet all over the globe is driving the 5G technology market, 5G ...
- Philanthropy Must Rethink Its Support of Technology Solutions That Harm Democracyon November 30, 2020 at 9:06 am
Rather than funding the latest app or digital platform that promises — but often fails — to help vulnerable people, grant makers should focus their resources on redefining how technology can be used ...
- Technology in policing can reinforce racial bias, U.N. panel warnson November 29, 2020 at 5:31 am
Police departments across the U.S. have been drawn to the use of digital technology for surveillance and predicting crime on the theory that it will make law enforcement more accurate, efficient and ...
- Asia Pacific Geosteering Technology Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product and Applicationon November 27, 2020 at 9:52 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Asia Pacific Geosteering Technology Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Product and Application" - Surge in ...
- U.N. Panel: Technology in Policing Can Reinforce Racial Biason November 27, 2020 at 1:13 am
The use of artificial intelligence and facial recognition programs may lead communities to lose trust in law enforcement, human rights experts say.
- Hyperloop Technology Market Size Rising at more than 36.1% CAGR During 2020-2025on November 25, 2020 at 11:14 pm
The global Hyperloop Technology market size is expected to gain market growth in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025, with a CAGR of 36.1% in the forecast period of 2020 to 2025 and will expected to ...
- Viomi Technology Co., Ltd Reports Third Quarter 2020 Unaudited Financial Resultson November 25, 2020 at 12:30 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Viomi Technology Co., Ltd (“Viomi” or the “Company”) (NASDAQ: VIOT), a leading IoT @ Home technology company in China, today announced its unaudited financial results for the third ...
via Bing News