The banana-hued, boxcar-sized drone was on display at the Navy’s Sea-Air-Space conference this week in National Harbor, Md. It can stay underwater for 30 days – and launch weapons.
Military officials are hoping that the Navy’s new yellow submarine – the latest high-tech advance in underwater drones – is going to revolutionize the way the Pentagon fights wars all over the world.
Developing these drones, however, means unlocking some tricky linchpins in unmanned technology in an effort to teach military machines autonomous behavior, which entails delving into what officials call “memory mapping” and other particulars of how people’s brains work.
For this reason, it’s important to understand “not just algorithms,” says Rear Adm. Mathias Winter, “but also the humanistic side – understanding neural networks and how we make decisions.”
Standing in an expo booth next to the banana-hued, boxcar-sized unmanned underwater vehicle (UUV) at the Navy’s Sea-Air-Space conference this week, Rear Admiral Winter, who heads up the Office of Naval Research, oversees some 1,100 PhDs working for the service’s high-tech arm.
“I am continuously amazed with the underwater breakthrough technologies,” he says, glancing at a small “swarming” drone displayed just above his head at the expo in National Harbor, Md.
These breakthroughs include exploring not just decisionmaking technology, but also “off the charts, revolutionary” leaps forward in battery life and power storage to allow such crafts to one day operate for “months and years” underwater, Winter adds.
The Latest on: Decisionmaking technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Decisionmaking technology
- Fluence Unveils Sixth-Generation Energy Storage Technology Stackon June 26, 2020 at 11:51 am
Fluence’s new technology stack includes three components: Fluence IQ: Digital intelligence engines use data and machine learning to improve system decision-making, manage battery degradation, reduce ...
- Schneider Electric and Cisco Partner to Bridge Operational Technology (OT) and Information Technology (IT) in building management systemson June 25, 2020 at 5:00 am
Schneider Electric, the leader in digital transformation of energy management and automation, and Cisco have formed a technology ...
- Diversity in the boardroom brings more dynamic decision-makingon June 24, 2020 at 2:08 pm
The more subscribers we have, the more YouTube will suggest relevant enterprise and emerging technology content to you. Thanks! Support our mission: >>>>> SUBSCRIBE NOW >>>>> to our ...
- National Evaluation System for health Technology Coordinating Center Announces Six New Governing Committee Members and New Executive Committee Leadershipon June 24, 2020 at 10:26 am
The National Evaluation System for health Technology Coordinating Center (NESTcc), an initiative of the Medical Device Innovation Consortium (MDIC), t ...
- SAP Further Boosts its Business Technology Platform with Host of Integrationson June 24, 2020 at 6:04 am
SAP is introducing new capabilities, enhancements, and further unifying the Business Technology Platform portfolio to help companies transform data into business value. SAP's Business Technology ...
- 4 Technology Investments to Guide Manufacturers Post COVID-19on June 24, 2020 at 2:54 am
However, despite uncertainty, a growing number of manufacturers have restarted albeit under a new normal. Of course, to remain stable, it is clear businesses need to reach new levels of agility and ...
- GPON Technology Market Growth Predicted at 13% Till 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc.on June 24, 2020 at 1:00 am
According to the latest report "GPON Technology Market by Component (Product [Optical Line Terminal, Optical Network Terminal], ...
- TSA's Plan to Address Evolving Threats to Travelers Relies on Innovative Technologyon June 23, 2020 at 4:25 pm
While technology was not a distinct focus area for the agency, it permeates every aspect of the administrator’s vision.
- Realtors Need to Embrace Technology To Stay Relevant: Dhruv Agarwalaon June 23, 2020 at 5:54 am
The Group CEO of Elara Technologies—which owns Housing.com, Makaan.com and PropTiger.com—believes new digital trends will emerge in the proptech segment due to COVID ...
- 3D at Depth Launches Remote Sensing and Remote Data Control Technologyon June 23, 2020 at 3:28 am
D at Depth Inc., the world’s leading expert in subsea laser (SL) LIDAR technology, survey support services, and 3D data solutions recently launched a remote sensing and remoted data control solution ...
via Bing News