At a self-cleaning pool that just opened in London, you won’t find a toxic chemical in sight.
Most swimming pools are doused in chlorine as a disinfectant, despite the fact that the chemical can react with other things commonly found in pools—like pee and skin cells—to create byproducts linked to asthma and cancer. A new temporary pool in London takes a different approach by cleaning the water with plants instead.
In a “regeneration zone,” plants like pondweed and water lily absorb nitrates and ammonium and release oxygen, while microorganisms reduce algae and germs. Another section of the pool uses a gravel bed to host another layer of microorganisms for more cleaning. Throughout the day, pumps push the water from the swimming area through the filters.
The self-cleaning pool, which opened on April 1, was built as part of an art project on a site that’s slated for development. For the artists, it was a way to interact with a changing neighborhood—a new building will be constructed next to the pool as people swim—and also a way to literally immerse visitors in nature and help people think about the connection between their own health and the health of the environment.
“Visitors enter a living laboratory where they are aware of their relationship with nature, and about consequences of their interaction’s with nature and take responsibilities, they thus become actors,” say the designers, Slovenia-based artist Marjetica Potrc, and Dutch architects Eva Pfannes and Sylvain Hartenberg. “The water is important for the engagement of the actors. . . . They become aware of various natural processes by swimming in the pond.”
The Latest on: Natural Pool
via Google News
The Latest on: Natural Pool
- Why it's natural for fintech innovations to slow downon November 17, 2020 at 9:53 am
Currently, fintech is one of the most emerging industries all over the world. More and more companies are launched every day using technologies to provide financial services to people involved in the ...
- Correction: Public Notice RepCorrection:...on November 17, 2020 at 8:19 am
Information included in the below public notice, which was published Aug 28, included a presentation with incorrect information. The information is in the summary of the article. The video of the ...
- Save Some Change: How you could save money with your pool this winteron November 13, 2020 at 7:53 am
If you have a pool at your home, that means you’re faced with the chore of figuring out what to do with your pool during the winter season. Fortunately, since we live in central Georgia, there are ...
- Birchcliff Energy Ltd. Announces Q3 2020 Results, Preliminary Outlook for 2021 and Discovery of Extension to the Gordondale Light Oil Poolon November 12, 2020 at 1:07 pm
CALGARY, Alberta, Nov. 12, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- (“Birchcliff” or the “Corporation”) (TSX: BIR) is pleased to announce its financial and operational results for the three and nine months ended ...
- Emma Corrin’s Princess Diana dons a swimsuit as she splashes in the poolon November 12, 2020 at 7:49 am
Emma Corrin showed the lighter side to Princess Diana in new stills from the upcoming series of The Crown as she played with her two young sons in the pool.
- Coach's corner: Carriage Hill gets dogs in the poolon November 11, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Along the way I stopped to talk to the fine folks at Carriage Hills Kennels. (This stop, by the way, went much better than the one at the Republican National Party booth, but I drastically digress.) ...
- Nicole Scherzinger’s Hilarious Tips for Posing in a Bikini: ‘Look Natural’on November 11, 2020 at 9:48 am
Nicole Scherzinger joked that she 'looks natural' posing in a string bikini, while sharing her tips to get the right angle — details ...
- Nebraska farmer wins the 2020 Syngenta #RootedinAg Conteston November 11, 2020 at 7:31 am
Hannah Borg, 22, of Wakefield, Nebraska, is the 2020 Syngenta #RootedinAg Contest grand prizewinner. Borg is the seventh #RootedinAg ...
- 24-Room Mansion in Greenwich, Connecticut, With a Tunnel to a Year-Round Pool Houseon November 11, 2020 at 3:38 am
Location: Greenwich, Connecticut Price: $32.5 million. This 24-room mansion on 5.31 acres in central Greenwich features more than 16,000 interior square footag ...
- Nicole Scherzinger perfects her 'natural' pose as she lounges by the poolon November 11, 2020 at 3:38 am
The Pussycat Doll, 42, also posted a clip of her boyfriend Thom Evans, 35, filming her from in the pool as she worked on her angles while lounging at the water's edge.
via Bing News