Rice University undergraduates develop a quick and easy way to numb the skin, making shots virtually pain-free
Getting the flu shot is one of the many rituals that comes once a year, inoculating the population against a potentially life-threatening disease. However, for some, especially children, the experience can be frightening and painful. However, that may soon change thanks to a Rice University students’s 3D-printed invention.
The Comfortably Numb is a simple device that numbs the skin to decrease the sensation of the injection. The team of three freshmen, include Andy Zhang, Mika Hua, and Greg Allison, developed this easy-to-produce mechanism to create a portable and ready to use ice pack. The small device is composed of a 3D printed cylinder containing two chambers, one with water and the other with ammonium nitrate, and a metal plate attached at one end. When the device is activated by twisting the top, the two chambers open and the chemical reaction that occurs cools the metal plate, just like a cold pack.
From there, a physician or other medical worker places the plate against the skin to numb the are and then inject the vaccine.
While ice packs serve the same purpose and are more readily available, the Comfortably Numb is just the beginning of a bigger project. Eventually, the team hopes to develop a device that will numb and inject with one go, making vaccinations, shots, and injections of any kind painless and quick. After all, as Allison says in a statement released by Rice University, they are still just freshman engineering students:
Read more: Thank 3D Printing for a Painless Flu Shot
The Latest on: 3d printing
via Google News
The Latest on: 3d printing
- This versatile pen-tool lets you cut, engrave, drill, etch, solder, and even 3D printon October 19, 2019 at 9:18 am
The 3Dsimo MultiPro is basically a pen-tool with interchangeable heads. What do these heads allow you to do? Well, they let you drill, engrave, burn-etch, solder, 3D print, screw-unscrew, and even cut ...
- There’s More To The 3D Print Than The Eye Can Seeon October 19, 2019 at 7:10 am
If you thought CADing designs for 3D printing was hard enough, wait until you hear about this .stl trick. Most 3D printers have 0.4 mm thickness nozzle, so creating geometries with a wall thinner than ...
- Northwestern University: Researchers Produce Large Scale 3D Printer & Control Heat with HARP Technologyon October 19, 2019 at 6:19 am
3D printing technology is often seen from the ‘bigger is better’ perspective, especially as researchers and manufacturers continue to out-do each other in digital fabrication of enormous proportions.
- Here is the world’s fastest 3D printeron October 18, 2019 at 6:27 am
A new 3D printer is using innovative technology to be the fastest device ever when it comes to printing speeds for larger objects. Known as the HARP printer, an acronym for ‘high-area rapid printing’, ...
- 3D Printing Emerging as a Game Changer in the Manufacturing Sectoron October 18, 2019 at 2:56 am
The global 3D printing market is expected to witness a strong growth in the forthcoming years. 3D printing is touted as an innovative technology that will offer solutions for various design and ...
- Global 3D Printing Market Bolstered by Expanding Application in Prototype Developmenton October 17, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Oct 18, 2019 (SUPER MARKET RESEARCH via COMTEX) -- 3D printing refers to a process wherein three-dimensional solid objects are prepared using a digital file. These objects are manufactured using ...
- Fast new 3D printing method creates objects as big as an adult humanon October 17, 2019 at 12:28 pm
They’re such good friends that they’ve even vacationed together on the North Carolina coast. But now, Mirkin is doing his best to put DeSimone, CEO of a well-known 3D printing company, out of work.
- The Power Of Purpose: How New Story Is 3D Printing Houses To End Global Homelessnesson October 17, 2019 at 8:35 am
Brett Hagler, Founder of New Story, the housing start-up that is making waves with its 3D house printing technology that it developed with Icon laughs when he thinks about how different his youthful ...
- Rose Go FDM 3D printer hits Kickstarter from $299on October 17, 2019 at 5:33 am
A new FTM 3D printer capable of delivering resin quality 3D printed objects that are layer resolution of 20-300μm has launched via Kickstarter this week in the form of the Rose Go 3D printer. Features ...
- eForge electronic 3D printing system features 8 extruderson October 17, 2019 at 2:27 am
Developers and electronic enthusiasts may be interested in a new electronic 3D printing system called the eForge, which has launched via Kickstarter this week. The eForge has been developed thanks to ...
via Bing News