“The team estimates that data centers in North America can save $870 million annually using this approach, with the yearly serial-link power savings at data centers worldwide by 2020 equaling Japan’s yearly electricity consumption.”
Researchers developed a way to use burst-mode technology to cut microprocessor power consumption. Their approach could save data centers in North America millions of dollars annually.
Serial links move data between microprocessors and other electronic devices. As vital as they are, serial links are idle 50-70% of the time. Idle, however, does not mean off.
Current technology demands that serial links stay powered up, consuming microprocessor power to the tune of 20%. And, when everything is added up, that could amount to 7% of a data-center‘s power budget.
A breakthrough by researchers at the University of Illinois
A research team from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois headed by Associate Professor Pavan Kumar Hanumolu and PhD student and lead author Tejasvi Anand have developed a transceiver that converts the “always on” serial link into a burst-mode communication link that is able to power-off when idle and quickly power-on when required.
“Ideally, a burst mode link must be turned on/off in zero time, must consume zero power in the off-state and must incur zero energy overhead while making on/off transitions,” from the abstract of the team’s research paper. “However, these requirements are difficult to meet in practice and as a consequence, the efficacy of burst mode communication in achieving energy proportional operation is reduced.”
Difficult but doable
Hanumolu explains the research sponsored by Semiconductor Research Corporation (which is part of North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park) was to reduce serial-link power consumption by eliminating the link’s power component.
The Latest on: Data center power savings
via Google News
The Latest on: Data center power savings
- Schneider Electric Releases IP & NEMA Rated EcoStruxure Micro Data Centers for Rugged Indoor Environmentson November 27, 2020 at 9:17 am
Schneider Electric, the leader in digital transformation of energy management and automation, announced today the expansion of its IP and NEMA rated EcoStruxure™ Micro Data Center R-Series for rugged ...
- Intelligent lighting in a data hall – efficiency meets sustainabilityon November 27, 2020 at 12:04 am
For data center operators, energy efficiency is the primary objective, as any specifier working on a mission critical facility knows to be true. But what if you knew another way to optimize the ...
- SK Telecom unveils faster, cheaper, power-saving AI chip for data center operationson November 26, 2020 at 4:27 pm
SK Telecom Co. will pursue expansion in the global artificial intelligence (AI) market with its semiconductor for data center operations, dubbed SAPEON X220. It was the first AI chip developed by the ...
- Global Data Center Power Market is Forecast to Reach a Market Size of USD 26,104 million by 2025, Growing at a CAGR of 6.4% during 2020-2025on November 26, 2020 at 10:56 am
The "Data Center Power Market by Solution (Power Monitoring, Power Distribution, Power Backup, and Cabling Infrastructure), Service (System Integration, Training & Consulting, and Support & ...
- Schneider launches R-Series rugged micro data centerson November 26, 2020 at 8:33 am
Schneider Electric has launched rugged micro data centers designed for harsh indoor spaces such as factories. The EcoStruxure R-Series is rated under the NEMA and IP schemes for protection against ...
- Data Center Switch Market Size USD 12200 Million by 2026 at a CAGR 5.7% | Valuates Reportson November 25, 2020 at 6:30 am
The Data Center Switch Market is Segmented by type (Core Switches, Distribution Switches, Access Switches), by application ...
- Relevance of data center 'availability standards' on contemporary issues! A critical review.on November 19, 2020 at 5:16 am
Open Computing Project (OCP), initiated by Facebook in 2009, is shaping the global data center market towards cost and energy efficiency improvements. Hyper-scale and cloud players are using latest te ...
- States And Cities Scramble To Attract Massive Data Center Projectson November 18, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Facebook is rapidly expanding its U.S. data center footprint, and cities and states see economic opportunity in hosting a state-of-the-art facility. The social media giant operates 13 data center ...
- Schneider Electric Adds Micro Data Centers for a More Rugged Edgeon November 18, 2020 at 7:56 am
Targeting a broader set of edge computing use cases, Schneider Electric has launched a new line of micro data centers for more rugged "industrial edge" use cases, along with expanded on-site support ...
- Pandemic-fueled demand leads data center supplier Vertiv to add jobson November 14, 2020 at 7:49 am
Newly public Columbus company @Vertiv added at least 100 jobs in the region through the coronavirus pandemic because of soaring demand for its data center and IT infrastructure.
via Bing News