U.S. Navy researchers have demonstrated swarming unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) designed to overwhelm an adversary autonomously as the UAVs fly together like flocks of birds.
UAV experts at the U.S. Office of Naval Research (ONR) in Arlington, Va., announced Wednesday they have conducted recent technology demonstrations of swarming drones as part of the Low-Cost UAV Swarming Technology (LOCUST) program.
The LOCUST program is developing enabling technologies to help sailors and Marines launch overwhelming swarms of reconnaissance and armed UAVs from launchers on land or at sea.
The LOCUST program includes a tube-based launcher that can send UAVs into the air in rapid succession. The drones then share information among themselves on a wireless network to coordinate their behavior in defensive or offensive missions, Navy officials say.
Navy researchers are designing UAVs and launchers small enough to operate from surface ships, land vehicles, manned aircraft, other UAVs, or unmanned marine vehicles. Navy researchers also are working on small reconnaissance UAVs that can be launched covertly from submarine missile tubes.
The ONR LOCUST demonstrates were last month in several locations, and included Coyote UAVs able to carry varying payloads for different missions. A separate nine-UAV demonstration showed autonomous UAV synchronization and formation flight, ONR officials say.
Even hundreds of small autonomous UAVs cost less than one manned tactical aircraft; this capability will force adversaries to focus on UAV swarm response, officials say.
The Latest on: Cooperating air drones
via Google News
The Latest on: Cooperating air drones
- Drone interrupts first responders during crash scene where medical helicopter was calledon July 20, 2019 at 8:46 am
Both were cooperating with the investigation which was ongoing ... don’t know what they should be doing … but the fact is, when you put your drone in the air you are a pilot and you need to act ... […]
- Drone delays response to Racine County accidenton July 20, 2019 at 5:50 am
Our news partners at TODAY'S TMJ4 report a drone was spotted in the air over the crash scene for a time ... came forward as the owners and pilots of the drone. They are cooperating with an ... […]
- Drone Interferes with Medical Helicopters at WI Crash Sceneon July 20, 2019 at 4:56 am
Both were cooperating with the investigation which was ongoing ... but the fact is, when you put your drone in the air you are a pilot and you need to act accordingly." The intersection was shut down ... […]
- Yemeni Rrones Raid Saudi Air Base After Sana'a Bombedon July 20, 2019 at 3:54 am
TEHRAN (FNA)- Yemeni armed forces conducted drone strikes on King Khalid air base in Saudi ... US-Backed SDF Cooperating with Israel in Body Organ Trade in Eastern Syria TEHRAN (FNA)- The Syrian ... […]
- Brothers turn themselves in as drone operators that affected Flight For Life at crash siteon July 19, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Both suspects are cooperating with the investigation ... "From Highway 11 Command, just be aware that we do have a drone in the air over our scene with both birds on the ground. We're trying to take ... […]
- Drone flies above Dover crash scene where Flight for Life was calledon July 19, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Both were cooperating with the investigation which ... they should be doing … but the fact is, when you put your drone in the air you are a pilot and you need to act accordingly.” ... […]
- Iran to Release Footage Recorded from US Warship by IRGC Droneon July 19, 2019 at 12:11 pm
"Downing of the US advanced and expensive Global Hawk spy drone by Iran's integrated air defense surprised ... US-Backed SDF Cooperating with Israel in Body Organ Trade in Eastern Syria TEHRAN ... […]
- DARPA rounds out Gremlins program with four companies to create overwhelming drone swarmson May 9, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Related: Navy researchers developing swarms of cooperating air drones for overwhelming land and sea attacks The idea is to use conventional aircraft hosts to transport and launch a volley of gremlins ... […]
- Navy researchers developing swarms of cooperating air drones for overwhelming land and sea attackson April 15, 2019 at 5:00 pm
ARLINGTON, Va., 16 April 2015. U.S. Navy researchers have demonstrated swarming unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) designed to overwhelm an adversary autonomously as the UAVs fly together like flocks of ... […]
- 'Considering Indian Request of Armed Drones For Indian Air Force', Says US officialon October 22, 2017 at 9:19 am
The armed drones, the Indian Air Force (IAF) believes ... "The US Navy and the Indian Navy have been cooperating for many years on counter piracy efforts, on ensuring freedom of navigation in the ... […]
via Bing News