Imagine being able to see in black and white or with an Instagram-like filter, or to have what you see through your eyes transmitted wirelessly, simply by swallowing a pill.
Or imagine having vision so sharp and accurate that your visual acuity is on par with the most sight-adept people in the world. Italian research studio Mhox hopes to one day make this a reality with its EYE concept, which would offer 3D bioprinted eyes that replace your existing eyeballs.
It sounds like science fiction, and in many ways it is, with a projected availability of around January 2027. But the concept provides a fascinating glimpse of the future of human enhancement, which may eventually go far beyond enhanced eyeballs to provide super strength and athletic performance as well as a direct line from your brain to the internet.
EYE (short for Enhance Your Eye) will come in three models: EYE Heal, EYE Enhance, and EYE Advance. The former would simply replace the defective eyes of the blind and visually impaired ,while the latter two would offer enhancements such as filters, wireless communication, and high-acuity (“up to 15/10”) vision. All three versions will be customizable in shape and retina color.
It will all be made possible by 3D bioprinting, with different bio-inks providing the different types of cells and organic tissue required, all of which will automatically gather together. Or so goes the theory. Keep in mind that at this stage EYE is entirely conceptual, a design based on speculative near-future technology.
The Latest on: Human enhancement
via Google News
The Latest on: Human enhancement
- Growing human brains and direct brain-computer connectionson September 6, 2019 at 4:42 am
In the Business Report of previous weeks we covered the revolutionary world of gene editing and the enhancement of people’s health ... Growing (or bio-printing) human organs in a laboratory ...
- Federal Funding to Train Healthcare Workers in Geriatricson September 5, 2019 at 8:18 am
The grant is earmarked for the Indiana Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program which is run through the Indianapolis-based Regenstrief Institute. This new grant brings total funding from the U.S.
- New $3.75 million grant to support second phase of Indiana Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Programon September 4, 2019 at 3:08 am
With the receipt this summer of an additional $3.75 million for a total of $7.2 million of U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) funding since 2015, the Indiana Geriatrics Workforce ...
- Developing The Workforce The Country Needs Through Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Programson August 30, 2019 at 5:17 am
In 2015, the Health Resources and Services Administration’s (HRSA) Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP ... Partnerships Area Agencies on Aging are a national network of human service ...
- Human Trafficking: CLICE Foundation, Partners call for effective policy implementationon August 28, 2019 at 10:48 am
Protection of victims and survivors and Prosecution of human traffickers. This submission was made at an event organized by the Comfort Literacy Intervention & Capacity Enhancement (CLICE ...
- Human Enhancement Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2016-2022on August 23, 2019 at 12:55 am
Aug 23, 2019 (AmericaNewsHour) -- Human enhancement deals with the application of technology to overcome human physical and mental disabilities. This results in augmentation in a person’s abilities.
- Weaponizing Biotech: How China’s Military Is Preparing for a ‘New Domain of Warfare’on August 14, 2019 at 10:38 am
Under Beijing's civil-military fusion strategy, the PLA is sponsoring research on gene editing, human performance enhancement, and more. We may be on the verge of a brave new world indeed. Today’s ...
- Human Enhancement, Is It Good?on July 26, 2019 at 5:00 pm
New technologies now enable the radical enhancement of human capabilities. These opportunities present complex moral and philosophical dilemmas that are difficult to navigate, and touch on the more ...
- Genetic therapies, human genetic enhancement, and … eugenics?on July 3, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Human and molecular genetics have made remarkable advances recently in developing an understanding of human biology in health and in disease. We now know in great detail the mechanisms underlying the ...
- The designer baby debate could start a waron April 23, 2019 at 8:18 am
Imagine you are assessing your country’s options in a world where your country has opted out but other countries are moving forward with human genetic enhancement. Here are your general choices: ...
via Bing News