Consumers are one step closer to benefiting from packaging that could give simple text warnings when food is contaminated with deadly pathogens like E. coli and Salmonella, and patients could soon receive real-time diagnoses of infections such as C. difficile right in their doctors’ offices, saving critical time and trips to the lab.
Researchers at McMaster University have developed a new way to print paper biosensors, simplifying the diagnosis of many bacterial and respiratory infections.
The new platform is the latest in a progression of paper-based screening technologies, which now enable users to generate a clear, simple answer in the form of letters and symbols that appear on the test paper to indicate the presence of infection or contamination in people, food or the environment.
“The simplicity of use makes the system easy and cheap to implement in the field or in the doctor’s office,” says John Brennan, director of McMaster’s Biointerfaces Institute, where the work was done with biochemist Yingfu Li and graduate student Carmen Carrasquilla.
“Imagine being able to clearly identify contaminated meat, vegetables or fruit. For patients suspected of having infectious diseases like C. diff, this technology allows doctors to quickly and simply diagnose their illnesses, saving time and expediting what could be life-saving treatments. This method can be extended to virtually any compound, be it a small molecule, bacterial cell or virus,” he says.
The research, in its formative stage, addresses a key problem facing current paper-based biosensing techniques which are labour-intensive, sometimes costly and inconvenient, and often difficult to mass produce.
The Latest on: Paper biosensors
via Google News
The Latest on: Paper biosensors
- Paper Diagnostics Market 2019 | Industry Outlooks, Demand, Upcoming Trends and Forecasts 2019-2024on July 5, 2019 at 6:30 am
The Paper Diagnostics market analysis is provided for the international ... Innova Biosciences, NanoHybrids, SD Biosensor, Sigma-Aldrich (Merck Millipore), Surmodics Market Segment by Regions, ... […]
- Preparation of paper-based devices for reagentless electrochemical (bio)sensor stripson July 3, 2019 at 8:39 am
In recent years, paper-based analytical tools have attracted a great deal ... This protocol describes the preparation of a voltammetric phosphate sensor and an amperometric nerve agent biosensor; both ... […]
- Synthetic bacterial memory circuits enable microbial diagnostics for sensing biomolecules in the guton June 28, 2019 at 9:12 am
The paper is published in mSystems. "Our understanding of how the human gut microbiome behaves is still in its early stages, which has hindered large-scale research into creating biosensors out of ... […]
- NFC-Powered Sweat Biosensor for Glucose and Lactateon June 27, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Sweat biosensors are notorious for baseline drift, variability due to temperature, and variability due to corroding of the sensing elements leading to lower signal-to-noise ratio over time with ... […]
- Ultra-Small Microelectrode Biosensors for Brain Injury Analysison June 14, 2019 at 12:24 am
There is still a long way to go, but my hope is our biosensors will one day serve the public. Our latest paper on minimally invasive microelectrode biosensors based on platinized carbon fibers: ... […]
- Building Better Biosensors (1 of 3) (image)on June 5, 2019 at 1:03 pm
The paper, by K. Tiruthani at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, NC; and colleagues was titled, "Design and evaluation of engineered protein biosensors for live-cell imaging of EGFR ... […]
- Global Nanofiber Market 2019-2023| 28% CAGR Projection Over the Next Five Years | Technavioon May 27, 2019 at 6:22 am
For instance, cellulose nanofibers are added in paper pulp to create a paper that can be recycled ... As per Technavio, the growing demand for biosensors will have a positive impact on the market and ... […]
- Sensor detects signs of cancer, Alzheimer's, and Parkinson'son May 23, 2019 at 5:00 pm
The researchers are also attempting to reduce costs by developing paper-based, disposable biosensors. As paper is an insulator in its standard state, Bufon and his team have come up with a way to make ... […]
- Archer Exploration prints human antibodies on graphene biosensorson April 15, 2019 at 8:32 am
The IgG inks were printed on resin-coated paper and a number of graphene-based electrodes ... are used in the detection and diagnosis of disease. The uniqueness of a biosensor is that its critical ... […]
- Filter-paper-based biosensor for testing milk qualityon January 13, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Researchers have invented a biosensor that can test the quality of milk by measuring the levels of a specific enzyme found in raw milk 1. This portable biosensor could potentially be used for ... […]
via Bing News