A patented passive cooling system for computer processors that’s undergoing optimization at The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) could save U.S. consumers more than $6.3 billion per year in energy costs associated with running their computer cooling fans.
Imagine what it could do if in global use.
The system, which was awarded $10,000 in 2014 UAH Charger Innovation Funds, uses convection to circulate 3M’s Fluorinert FC-72 liquid through channels in a computer’s processor and then into a heat sink that serves as an external radiator.
Its adoption could save computer manufacturers $540 million annually in manufacturing material costs by eliminating fans and associated wiring. Energy and materials savings are based on a future in which 300 million machines are in use in the U.S.
There’s an added global benefit to the reduction in electricity consumption, says Dr. James E. Smith Jr., a UAH chemical engineering professor emeritus who is working with graduate students to optimize the system.
“If you can do this for the world, we can save a whole lot of pollution globally,” Dr. Smith says. “Think of what could be done in China alone.”
The Latest on: Computer Cooling System
via Google News
The Latest on: Computer Cooling System
- Ask the Experts Question: The best CPU air cooler in terms of balancing temperature and noise?on September 8, 2019 at 10:32 am
I want to know what the absolute best CPU air cooler is in terms of performance that balances both temperature and noise well. Hi Fawazilla, When it comes to air cooling, there are plenty of options.
- Red Magic 3S adds Snapdragon 855+ and UFS 3.0 storage - 9to5Googleon September 6, 2019 at 10:24 am
Inspired by high-end gaming PCs, the Red Magic 3S improved active cooling system features an integrated ... 855 PLUS with Adreno™ 640 GPU boosts CPU performance and improves graphical rendering ...
- X570 AQUA: The Exclusive Limited-Quantity High-Performance PC Motherboard From ASRockon September 5, 2019 at 1:38 pm
The X570 AQUA is the only completely water-cooled X570 motherboard - its unique all-copper cooling block covers the CPU, VRM and X570 Chipset to provide ... to improve signal integrity as well as ...
- Best Computer Fans in 2019on September 5, 2019 at 11:00 am
With a wide variety of PC fans out there, how can you know which ones will keep your system nice and cool ... It's suitable for being used as both a CPU fan and a case fan as long as you don't mind ...
- Nubia Red Magic 3S launched with SD855+, 5000mAh battery & Competitive Pricing!on September 5, 2019 at 1:47 am
The phone carries forward all the good features of its previous generation model like a gamer-centric design, virtual shoulder buttons, and a large battery while improving upon the chipset speed and ...
- Nubia Red Magic 3S to feature Air Cooling as well as Liquid Coolingon September 3, 2019 at 10:31 pm
The Snapdragon 855 Plus octa-core chipset upgrades the CPU and offers a clock speed of up to 2.96GHz ... As for the design, we expect the company to have an air cooling system and given that the phone ...
- Exploring Low Profile Cooling with the Scythe Big Shuriken 3on September 3, 2019 at 3:27 pm
As a result, they’ve gained a respectable foothold in the CPU cooling market with a number of air coolers ... Obviously, you’d never want to use one of these in a full-size system unless it was only ...
- Asperitas looks to flood the IT cooling industryon September 3, 2019 at 3:43 am
In this system of immersion cooling, there’s no risk of overheating, therefore every single CPU or GPU can even run beyond its specified maximum performance. Bouricius: “We’ve been conducting tests on ...
- Global Solid-State Cooling Market Outlook 2019-2024: Single Stage to Account for the Largest Shareon August 29, 2019 at 10:37 am
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/joco2q Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored ...
- Solid-State Cooling Markets to 2024 - Growing IoT Consequently Increases Demand for More Data Storage, Resulting in More Cooling Needson August 29, 2019 at 3:21 am
Solid-state air cooling system is further subdivided into 2 typesair conditioners and chillers. Solid-state thermoelectric air conditioners are compact, lightweight units used for cooling electronic ...
via Bing News