By combining, in a liposome, magnetic nanoparticles and photosensitizers that are simultaneously and remotely activated by external physical stimuli (a magnetic field and light), scientists obtained total tumor regression in mice.
Non-toxic when they are not activated, such therapies can also achieve a reduction in adverse effects. These results demonstrate the importance of multiple treatments.
One of the strategies employed to limit the adverse effects of cancer therapies is the development of nanocarrier systems that can convey active ingredients to target tumor cells. These are referred to as “physical” therapies when the active substances, molecules or nanoparticles, can be remotely activated by external physical stimuli — in this case by light or a magnetic field. In this context, the study team developed a new type of carrier that combines photosensitivity and magnetism. To achieve this, they first encapsulated magnetic nanoparticles in the inner compartment of a liposome in sufficient quantities to render it ultra-magnetic, before incorporating photosensitizers into its lipid bilayer, while preserving an optimum size for circulation in the blood.
These liposomes, containing magnetic nanoparticles and photosensitizers, were injected directly into the tumor in the mouse model. The scientists thus combined two techniques to achieve complete destruction of cancer cells. The first one, magnetic hyperthermia, consists in exciting the nanoparticles with a magnetic field to raise the temperature of the tumor and destroy it.. The second method, photodynamic therapy, is made possible by the photosensitizers, which, when activated, release reactive oxygen species that are toxic to tumor cells. These two physical therapies act in synergy on the activity of the proteins involved in apoptosis, or programmed cell death. Their combination thus induces total regression of the tumor, while a single therapy is not able to stop its growth.
The Latest on: Tumor regression
via Google News
The Latest on: Tumor regression
- Thermo Fisher expands CDx agreements with Daiichi Sankyo and Agioson June 26, 2020 at 3:58 pm
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is working with Daiichi Sankyo Co. Ltd. to develop a companion diagnostic (CDx) to identify non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients with human epidermal growth factor ...
- Age, Residence, Other Factors Associated With Palliative Care Consultations in Patients With Advanced Canceron June 26, 2020 at 8:19 am
Several factors were found to affect whether patients with cancer received a palliative care consultation at a tertiary care center.
- Spermine synthase and MYC cooperate to maintain colorectal cancer cell survival by repressing Bim expressionon June 26, 2020 at 2:10 am
Polyamine metabolism is frequently dysregulated in cancers. Here, the authors show that a polyamine biosynthetic enzyme, spermine synthase, is overexpressed in colorectal cancers and cooperates with ...
- Intensity Therapeutics Announces Publication of Research Reporting that Intratumoral Administration of INT230-6 Demonstrates Tissue Dispersive Properties, Tumor Regression and ...on June 25, 2020 at 4:36 am
Intensity Therapeutics announces publication of research showing that administration of INT230-6 demonstrates tumor regression and an immune response.
- Simcha Therapeutics Launches to Engineer Therapeutic Cytokines to Unlock the Full Potential of the Immune Systemon June 24, 2020 at 8:00 am
Simcha Therapeutics, a biotechnology company developing first-in-class biologic drugs launched today with $25 million in Series A financing ...
- Constellation Pharmaceuticals: Post Fundraising Dip Is A Buy Opportunityon June 24, 2020 at 6:48 am
Constellation is trading at an attractive price of $29.83 following a $192.5m fundraising at $35 - a 40% discount to the $50 high achieved in mid-May. The compa ...
- Genetics Co. Inks $1.4B Deal With Cooley-Led Cancer Tech Bizon June 22, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Invitae, a genetics company that tests for rare and genetic diseases, said Monday that it has inked a $1.4 billion deal to merge with cancer-focused genetic testing technology provider ArcherDX, which ...
- Verastem Oncology Announces Presentation of Preclinical Data Supporting the Combination of VS-6766 and Defactinib in Metastatic Uveal Melanomaon June 22, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Verastem, Inc. (Nasdaq:VSTM) (also known as Verastem Oncology), a biopharmaceutical company committed to developing and commercializing new medicines for patients battling cancer, today announced ...
- The role of innate immunity in the protection conferred by a bacterial infection against cancer: study of an invertebrate modelon June 22, 2020 at 12:17 pm
The protection conferred by some infections against cancer has been recently linked to the production of acquired immunity effectors such as antibodies. However, the evolution of innate immunity as a ...
- Children's Cancer Institute turns to containerisation to power researchon June 16, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Part of the problem the Institute faces is that children often respond differently to cancer treatments than adults, with typical treatments either not working at all or producing adverse side effects ...
via Bing News