A printer would lay a base layer of pasta or dough and fill it with seeds, spores, or yeast. Within five days, the mushrooms and plants inside would grow into a tasty, locally grown snack.
An average processed snack travels 1,300 miles to the grocery store. But the snack of the future may be hyper-local: A new concept design considers how 3-D printing could transform processed food, making it both healthier and possible to produce inside cities.
The idea was developed by Dutch designer Chloé Rutzerveld, who was approached by research organization TNO to explore the idea of 3-D printed food. “As a foodie who loves fresh salads and unprocessed foods, I was very skeptical about printing food,” she says.
“At this point, companies have only succeeded in printing sugar sculptures, chocolate, and other unhealthy sweets, transforming product A into product A with a different shape,” she explains in an email. “I used my skepticism to find answers on how we could use this technology to create natural, healthy, sustainable, and nutrient-rich food.”
In her concept, called Edible Growth, a printer would print a base layer from pasta or dough, filled with multiple inner layers of seeds, spores, and yeast. Within five days, the mushrooms and plants inside would grow into a tasty snack.
The Latest on: 3D printed food
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D printed food
- Best Black Friday & Cyber Monday Food Processor Deals 2020: Breville, Cuisinart, KitchenAid & Ninja Deals Tracked by Deal Stripeon November 26, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Black Friday deals researchers have tracked the top food processor deals for Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2020, together with discounts on Cuisinart, Ninja, Breville and KitchenAid food processors.
- 'The dishes can wait, but the food can’t': Waiting too long to put away your Thanksgiving leftovers can make you sickon November 26, 2020 at 8:00 am
A holiday season spike in food poisoning outbreaks occurs because of a bacteria that grows in cooked foods left at room temperature.
- Cuisinart Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2020: Air Fryer, Blender, Food Processor & More Deals Listed by Spending Labon November 26, 2020 at 6:25 am
The latest Cuisinart deals for Black Friday & Cyber Monday, featuring food processors, air fryers, coffee makers & more offersBOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Black Friday sales experts have found the top ...
- New VICE Show Tackles Food Issues Around the Worldon November 25, 2020 at 10:14 am
The last nine months have forced many to think more about where their food comes from. Sophia Roe, a Brooklyn-based chef and food advocate, knows well that many of the food system problems that are ...
- Food-tech co SavorEat raises NIS 42.6m in TASE IPOon November 25, 2020 at 6:05 am
In the first-ever food-tech Initial Public Offering (IPO) on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange (TASE), SavorEat (TASE: SVRT) has raised NIS 42.6 million (about $13 million) from leading Israeli ...
- 3D Systems, VHA collaboration transforms patient care for US veteranson November 20, 2020 at 4:24 am
Veterans Health Administration will collaborate with 3D Systems to establish FDA-compliant medical device manufacturing facilities using additive solutions.
- 3D Systems Receives FDA Clearance for Vantage® Ankle PSI – Expands VSP® Surgical Planning Applications in Partnership with Exactechon November 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Patient-specific guides require less procedural steps, reduce OR time for total ankle replacement surgeriesJointly developed end-to-end solution ...
- Elementum 3D Earns First-Ever Gold Medal Awarded by U.S. Air Force Advanced Manufacturing Olympicson November 16, 2020 at 6:11 am
Elementum 3D, a developer and supplier of groundbreaking metal additive manufacturing (AM) materials, earned first place at the inaugural U.S. Air Force Advanced Manufacturing Olympics (AMO). The ...
- It’s Here: KeyShot 3D Rendering Software Now Fully Supports Stratasys Full-Color, Multi-Material 3D Printerson November 16, 2020 at 6:01 am
From the screen to your hand, producing incredibly realistic product models is now fast and easy for designers with J55 and J8 Series PolyJet 3D printers ...
- An Insight on How 3D Printing is Revolutionizing the Food Industryon November 11, 2020 at 3:25 am
A 3D Food Printer comprises of food-grade syringe or cartridge that holds the material, an actual food item, and deposits exact fractional layers through a food-grade nozzle directly onto a surface in ...
via Bing News