When you’re preparing to launch a computing platform for self-driving cars, it helps to bring one of the leading voices in automotive innovation along for the ride.
That’s just what NVIDIA CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang did in his opening keynote at the 2015 GPU Technology Conference. Just moments after announcing NVIDIA’s DRIVE PX self-driving car computer, he sat down for a quick fireside chat with Musk, who, as usual, put the pedal to the metal.
“We’ll take autonomous cars for granted in quite a short time,” Musk told a crowd of some 4,000 at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center. “I almost view it as a solved problem. We know what to do, and we’ll be there in a few years.”
Musk—who also is co-founder and CEO of Space X, has floated an idea for an ambitious system of pod-like transports, and recently compared the development of artificial intelligence to “summoning the demon”—made it clear that NVIDIA’s advances in GPU technology will play a key role.
“What NVIDIA is doing with Tegra is really interesting and really important for self-driving in the future,” said Musk.
Not that Musk thinks autonomous cars will come easily. It’s a long road to get from developing the capabilities to implementing them. For example, he predicts that regulators will be loathe to allow self-driving vehicles until they’re presented two or three years of compelling evidence about their safety in comparison to driver-controlled vehicles.
Musk also cautioned that we’ll eventually will have to embrace a seismic change in our relationship with cars as regulators struggle with how to transition from driver-controlled vehicles to those controlled by computers.
Bottom line: at some point, people may not be trusted behind the wheel anymore.
“In the distant future, (legislators} may outlaw driven cars because they’re too dangerous,” he said.
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
- Autonomous driving startup Phantom AI raises $22Mon April 2, 2020 at 6:06 am
That optimistic forecast is based on a growing consumer and regulator interest in autonomous car technologies that can help to reduce accidents. Already, in the EU and the U.S., new vehicles are ...
- Waymo’s AI improves autonomous vehicle performance while saving costson April 2, 2020 at 6:06 am
Waymo, Alphabet’s self-driving vehicle research division, today detailed a system — Progressive Population Based Augmentation (PPBA) — it claims has improved the performance of its autonomous systems ...
- Volvo and Veoneer part ways with autonomous driving projecton April 2, 2020 at 5:32 am
Volvo Cars and Veoneer (NYSE:VNE) have decided to split their jointly owned software venture Zenuity after undertaking a strategic review of the company that develops software for advanced driver assi ...
- Robots And The Autonomous Supply Chainon April 2, 2020 at 4:06 am
Autonomous robots have an increasing role to play in supply chains. They are being used in warehouses, on interstates, for last mile deliveries, and even in stores.
- Veoneer and Volvo Cars to Split Joint Venture to Pursue Separate ADAS and Autonomous Driving Strategieson April 1, 2020 at 11:43 pm
(NYSE: VNE and SSE: VNE SDB), have following a strategic review, entered into a non-binding agreement with Volvo Cars to split their 50/50 joint venture Zenuity. The parties have agreed in principle ...
- Coronavirus pandemic ruins outlook for a world of electric and autonomous carson April 1, 2020 at 12:29 pm
With Detroit’s Big Three automakers and Elon Musk’s Tesla making ventilators to support the coronavirus pandemic relief effort, no doubt the shift to electronic and autonomous cars has suffered a ...
- Top Semi-Autonomous Vehicles Market News: Analysis, Growth Drivers and Trending Factorson April 1, 2020 at 9:23 am
Strategic Points Covered in Table of Content of Global Semi-Autonomous Vehicles Market: Chapter 1: Introduction, market driving force product Objective of Study and Research Scope the Semi-Autonomous ...
- Global Memory Market for Connected & Autonomous Vehicle to Grow at a CAGR of 20.87% During the Period, 2019-2029 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon April 1, 2020 at 7:53 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Global Memory Market for Connected and Autonomous Vehicle: Focus on Memory Type, Level of Autonomy, Application, Vehicle Type, Country-Wise Analysis and Supply Chain ...
- Autonomous vehicles: Automotive and transportation disruptionon March 31, 2020 at 9:00 pm
It is extraordinary for a technology to have the opportunities and disruption potential that autonomous vehicles (AVs) will have over the next decades. Market opportunities worth trillions of dollars ...
- Seegrid raises $25 million for autonomous industrial vehicleson March 31, 2020 at 5:51 am
Seegrid, a company that builds autonomous industrial vehicles for transporting materials, has raised $25 million in a round of equity funding from venture capital firm G2VP. Terms were not disclosed, ...
via Bing News