When you’re preparing to launch a computing platform for self-driving cars, it helps to bring one of the leading voices in automotive innovation along for the ride.
That’s just what NVIDIA CEO and co-founder Jen-Hsun Huang did in his opening keynote at the 2015 GPU Technology Conference. Just moments after announcing NVIDIA’s DRIVE PX self-driving car computer, he sat down for a quick fireside chat with Musk, who, as usual, put the pedal to the metal.
“We’ll take autonomous cars for granted in quite a short time,” Musk told a crowd of some 4,000 at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center. “I almost view it as a solved problem. We know what to do, and we’ll be there in a few years.”
Musk—who also is co-founder and CEO of Space X, has floated an idea for an ambitious system of pod-like transports, and recently compared the development of artificial intelligence to “summoning the demon”—made it clear that NVIDIA’s advances in GPU technology will play a key role.
“What NVIDIA is doing with Tegra is really interesting and really important for self-driving in the future,” said Musk.
Not that Musk thinks autonomous cars will come easily. It’s a long road to get from developing the capabilities to implementing them. For example, he predicts that regulators will be loathe to allow self-driving vehicles until they’re presented two or three years of compelling evidence about their safety in comparison to driver-controlled vehicles.
Musk also cautioned that we’ll eventually will have to embrace a seismic change in our relationship with cars as regulators struggle with how to transition from driver-controlled vehicles to those controlled by computers.
Bottom line: at some point, people may not be trusted behind the wheel anymore.
“In the distant future, (legislators} may outlaw driven cars because they’re too dangerous,” he said.
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous Cars
- Seedland Launches Pilot Operation of China´s First Autonomous Commuter Vehicle: Hachi Autoon December 1, 2019 at 10:24 pm
GUANGZHOU, China Dec 2 (Bernama) -- Seedland Group applied Hachi Auto, an autonomous vehicle for smart communities, in one of the Seedland communities “Boston Ivy” in early November 2019, becoming the ...
- Driverless cars aren’t safe enough to share our streetson December 1, 2019 at 3:00 am
US safety investigators are right to be fed up with rules allowing companies to unleash driverless cars on streets, while “self-certifying” that their testing methods are safe. “In my opinion they’ve ...
- Hachi Auto, Seeland's Autonomous Vehicle Takes to the Roadon November 29, 2019 at 4:07 pm
GUANGZHOU, CHINA / ACCESSWIRE / November 29, 2019 / Seedland, one of China's top-100 real estate firms, achieved another innovative milestone this month when Hachi Auto autonomous vehicles began ...
- Thermal camera demo shows new tool in fight to make driverless cars saferon November 29, 2019 at 6:24 am
It's technology that could fill in the gaps left by lidar, radar and standard cameras, long promoted by many in the industry as a necessary three-pronged approach for autonomous vehicle development.
- Offshore Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Market is expected to flourish at a CAGR around 15.70% during forecast periodon November 29, 2019 at 6:10 am
Nov 29, 2019 (Global QYResearch via COMTEX) -- The Global Offshore Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Market is probable to register a 15.70% CAGR during the forecast period. ?? ??The new research ...
- A 250-Billion-Dollar Revolution: IDTechEx Research Looks at Mobile Robots and Autonomous Vehicles in Delivery and Fulfillmenton November 28, 2019 at 8:30 pm
A particularly exciting subset of this is the use of mobile robots, drones, and autonomous vehicles for automation of movement-based tasks. This field encompasses a diverse range of robots, drones, ...
- In Chinese First, Autonomous Vehicle Services Residential Compoundon November 28, 2019 at 8:26 am
On November 27, 2019, SEEDLAND, one of China’s top-100 real estate firms, achieved another innovative milestone this month when Hachi Auto autonomous vehicles began servicing the company’s gated ...
- Autonomous Cars Market 2019: Size, Share, Key Drivers and Top Manufacturers Forecast Till 2026on November 28, 2019 at 2:45 am
Nov 28, 2019 (The Expresswire) -- Top Players in Autonomous Cars Market are Daimler AG, General Motors, Ford Motor Company, BMW AG, Robert Bosch GMBH, Denso Corporation, Volvo-AutolivEricsson-Zenuity ...
- Driverless vehicles and pedestrians don’t mix. So how do we re-arrange our cities?on November 27, 2019 at 10:42 am
Videos showing autonomous or self-driving vehicles weaving in and out of crossroads at speed without colliding suggest this technology will solve traffic problems. You almost never see pedestrians or ...
- AWS expands DeepRacer league, intros new Evo autonomous mini race caron November 27, 2019 at 9:15 am
Amazon Web Services announced a new car for its DeepRacer league, as well as the addition of new races and features. Launched a year ago, the AWS DeepRacer League is pitched as a global autonomous ...
via Bing News