Socially intelligent computers can turn difficult online negotiations into win?win situations through tactical information disclosure
Programming fundamental ‘social intelligence’ skills into software agents can make humans substantially more trusting of online negotiations, which can lead to superior outcomes in e-commerce transactions, finds an A*A*STAR-led team of technology researchers, business experts and cognitive scientists.
Automated software agents that bargain for the best deals on the Internet are widely used for business-to-business sales and processes. However, as people are naturally skeptical of negotiations lacking face-to-face contact, engineers are seeking ways to make such software less intimidating.
Yinping Yang from the A*STAR Institute of High Performance Computing explains that it is challenging to create a computerized negotiator with enough social skills to put people at ease. “These agents have to elicit cooperative behavior such as making concessions while maintaining the negotiation goals,” says Yang. “This requires transdisciplinary knowledge of business and social communications as well as careful computational coding of social-psychological rules.”
Yang and her collaborators from academia and industry realized that one way for computers to gain the trust of human negotiators was to proactively share certain information. For example, the software agent could express that its priority is distribution and offer one price for immediate delivery of merchandise and a lower one for delivery in two weeks — a flexibility that signals a willingness to search for mutual benefits.
To test their theory, the team gave 54 MBA students the opportunity to bargain with software designed to simulate the real-world purchasing of laptop computers. They instructed the students to negotiate with an online agent over four key factors — price per unit, quantity, service level and delivery terms — while keeping in mind that their top priority should be obtaining a low unit price.
Read more: Social technology Solving the trust equation
The Latest on: Social technology
via Google News
The Latest on: Social technology
- Analytics Insight Announces ‘The 10 Most Impactful Women in Technology 2020’on November 13, 2020 at 7:24 am
Analytics Insight has announced ‘The 10 Most Impactful Women in Technology 2020’ in its November magazine issue. This issue features top female leaders making significant contributions to the world of ...
- Technology and natural hazards clash to create ‘natech’ disasterson November 13, 2020 at 7:05 am
Hurricanes, wildfires and nature’s other extreme events are increasingly causing damage to infrastructure crucial for safety and communication.
- The Technology Challenge - Time To Take Action For A Potential Tech Wreck In 2021on November 13, 2020 at 6:46 am
The high-flying technology sector exploded from the March low during the risk-off period caused by the global pandemic. The hot lights of Washington DC and European regulators hav ...
- Tagger Media Wins Digiday Technology Award for Best Influencer Marketing Platformon November 13, 2020 at 6:17 am
Tagger Media has been selected as the winner for Best Influencer Marketing Platform at the 2020 Digiday Technology Awards.
- The Technology 202: Trump will face new rules on Facebook and Twitter after he leaves officeon November 13, 2020 at 6:04 am
The president will no longer have special protections afforded to elected officials. But a 2024 run could change that.
- The National-Security Case for Fixing Social Mediaon November 13, 2020 at 3:06 am
It’s for this reason that, while foreign governments may be capable of more concerted campaigns, American disinformers are especially dangerous: they have their fingers on the pulse of our social and ...
- Want To Change The World? Social Innovators Offer These 6 Lessonson November 13, 2020 at 12:44 am
Social innovators from the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship offer six lessons on creating positive change in local communities and the world.
- Mandelorian Star Gina Carano Supported President Trump On Social Media – Now Fans Want Her Firedon November 12, 2020 at 1:31 pm
Whether Cara Dune survives the second season of the hit Disney+ series The Mandelorian isn't known, but some fans would like to see the actress who plays the former shock trooper all but disintegrated ...
- Schaumburg ranked 3rd nationally in technology useon November 12, 2020 at 12:46 pm
The village of Schaumburg has placed third in the 2020 Digital Cities Survey, which recognized cities using technology to tackle social challenges, enhance cybersecurity, improve transparency and more ...
- Renesas and Altran Team to Deploy First Social Distancing Wristwatch that uses Ultra-Wideband Chipset with Low Rate Pulseon November 12, 2020 at 5:01 am
The platform’s form factor, a wristwatch, combines the Renesas Synergy ™ S128 MCU featuring HMI capacitive touch with licensed secure ranging UWB technology. Unlike other social distancing wearables ...
via Bing News