Hui Hu picked up a 3-D printed model of a typical wind turbine and began explaining two problems with the big, tall, three-bladed machines.
First, said the Iowa State University professor of aerospace engineering, check out the base of each blade. They’re big, round structural pieces. They’re not shaped like an airfoil. And so they don’t harvest any wind, reducing a turbine’s energy harvest by about 5 percent.
Second, the big blades disturb the wind, creating a wake behind them and reducing the energy harvest of any downwind turbines. Hu said a turbine sitting in the slipstream of another can lose 8 to 40 percent of its energy production, depending on conditions.
Those losses prompted Hu and Anupam Sharma, an Iowa State assistant professor of aerospace engineering, to look for a solution. Their data suggest they’ve found one.
Hu turned back to his wind turbine models: Look at these two, he said. See what we’ve done?
What they’ve done is add a smaller, secondary rotor. One model had three big blades and three mini-blades sprouting from the same hub. The other had a small, secondary rotor mounted in front of the big rotor, the two sets of blades separated by the nacelle that houses the generating machinery on top of the tower.
“To try to solve these problems, we put a small rotor on the turbine,” Hu said. “And we found that with two rotors on the same tower, you get more energy.”
Using lab tests and computer simulations, Hui and Sharma have found those extra blades can increase a wind farm’s energy harvest by 18 percent.
“These are fairly mature technologies we’re talking about – a 10 to 20 percent increase is a large change,” Sharma said.
The Latest on: Wind turbines
via Google News
The Latest on: Wind turbines
- Wind power surpasses coal for first time ever in Texason July 27, 2019 at 8:50 am
The winds of change are sweeping through Texas, with wind power surpassing coal for the first time in history as a primary energy source. Wind generated 22 percent of the Lone Star State’s ... […]
- Killing Whales To Save Polar Bears: Wind Turbine Infra-soundon July 27, 2019 at 7:00 am
Whales are known to use infra-sound to communicate over distances—up to hundreds of miles in the case of whales. The whale ear has specific adaptations to the marine environment. In humans, the ... […]
- Wild Horse Wind Facility generates clean energy and visitor curiosityon July 27, 2019 at 1:00 am
ELLENSBURG, Washington — The Wild Horse Wind Facility just east of Ellensburg can generate enough electricity to power 70,000 homes a year. It also generates plenty of curiosity - this is one of the ... […]
- Public Pulse: Harnessing wind power; Alzheimer's conference informative; Will miss Hansenon July 26, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Reece Ristau’s “Wind farm powering Facebook shows state’s potential” (June 30 World-Herald) aptly outlined a model of energy generation that could be a game-changer for the state of Nebraska. Never ... […]
- Carbon County community gets glimpse of what it could expect if wind turbine project goes throughon July 26, 2019 at 3:57 pm
PACKER TWP., Pa. - In a valley of open fields and vista views, Mitch Stadnik has his eyes focused above. "Get a better idea, better perspective, from here a mile away pretty small," he said. "But that ... […]
- Falmouth Wind Turbines Where's Waldo "RFP"on July 26, 2019 at 6:57 am
The Town of Falmouth Board of Selectmen, acting through the office of the Town Manager, is seeking letters of interest for a wind turbine project host agreement. The requested letters of interest ... […]
- Academy Receives Donation of Wind Turbine Nacelles to Enhance Student Learningon July 26, 2019 at 6:24 am
Students enrolled in Kalamazoo Valley Community College's Wind Turbine Technician Academy now have two new wind turbine nacelles to use for hands-on training, thanks to a donation from NextEra ... […]
- What Happened to the Wind Turbines That Twirled Above Philadelphia Eagles' Lincoln Financial Field?on July 26, 2019 at 6:17 am
Large wind turbines twirled for nearly a decade above Lincoln Financial Field, where the Philadelphia Eagles play home games. They carved out a unique piece of the skyline at the South Philadelphia ... […]
- Bankrupt wind turbine maker Senvion in talks to buy time for rescue dealon July 26, 2019 at 2:29 am
FRANKFURT, July 26 (Reuters) - Bankrupt German wind turbine manufacturer Senvion is in talks to buy time to strike a rescue deal as negotiations with potential buyers of the company continue, people ... […]
- Wind Turbine Gearbox Market: 2019 Global Analysis By Share, Size, Growth, Trends And Regional Forecast To 2025on July 26, 2019 at 12:13 am
Jul 26, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- Wind Turbine Gearbox Market 2019 Global Industry Outlook to 2025 Research Report published by Market Research Future. According to report Global Wind Turbine Gearbox ... […]
via Bing News