Wayfindr, which helps the vision-impaired navigate independently, is being trialled at Pimlico station
Young people with vision impairments are using a smartphone app and Bluetooth beacons to better find their way around the London Underground. There is currently a trial underway at Pimlico Tube station to assist blind and partially sighted people to navigate independently.
The Wayfindr system has been developed by ustwo (a studio that develops digital products and services) in response to the Royal London Society for Blind People (RLSB) Youth Forum’s desire to be able to navigate the London Underground without assistance.
The Bluetooth beacons transmit a signal that can be picked up by mobile devices. Wayfindr uses these signals in conjunction with ustwo’s indoor positioning technology to locate the user and provide audible directions in order to guide them through the station. The app is paired with bone conduction earphones that enable the wearer to still hear the sounds around them.
Sixteen beacons have been installed at Pimlico station, where a number of young visually impaired Londoners are testing the app during a month-long trial.
The Latest on: Vision-impaired navigation
via Google News
The Latest on: Vision-impaired navigation
- Extra caution can fuel falls for vision impaired, study findson December 18, 2019 at 10:50 pm
An abundance of caution may throw people with poor eyesight off balance when stepping over obstacles, a recent study finds. The researchers showed that people with impaired vision were more ...
- Herbal Essences expands tactile packaging for vision-impaired peopleon November 15, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Herbal Essences is aiming to make haircare easier for vision-impaired people, by expanding its use of tactile markings on packaging. The Procter & Gamble-owned beauty giant unveiled a tactile ...
- FIND A FRIEND: 9-month-old deaf, vision impaired Aussie mix seeks forever homeon November 9, 2019 at 7:33 am
COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Today’s Find A Friend features Chaz a 9-month-old special needs Aussie mix who is deaf, knows many signed commands, and seems to be vision impaired in his right eye.
- Samsung introduces new solutions for Deafblind and Vision Impaired userson September 10, 2019 at 10:56 am
Samsung’s Good Vibes app can now be download from the Samsung Galaxy Store and will soon be available on the Google Play Store for use on any Android phone. Samsung has announced that it has ...
- Focus on 3 Areas When Caring for Vision-Impaired Hospital Patientson August 21, 2019 at 5:37 am
Measures designed for vision-impaired patients include focusing on discharge and medication management, patient safety, and special accommodations. Caring for vision-impaired patients in the ...
- Running brings out best in Governoon June 28, 2019 at 6:21 am
“When I am sad, I run. When I am happy, I run.” For vision impaired Para athlete Edmilsa Governo, Mozambique’s sole track star from the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, running is everything. “Since I was a ...
- Ruben Vanhollebeke cooks up world recordon June 25, 2019 at 7:45 am
Luckily for the newly crowned vision impaired world champion, his full-time job as a kitchen assistant actually keeps his archery skills sharp. The 42-year-old archer, who works in a commercial ...
- NDIS under fire from vision impaired Australians over communicationson February 26, 2019 at 5:17 am
But for some people who are vision impaired, communicating with the NDIS itself is proving to be slow and frustrating. That's because they keep getting letters in the mail that they can't read.
- Vision impaired pupils happy to start schoolon January 1, 2019 at 4:06 pm
JOHOR BARU: It has been an exciting day for four Year One pupils at SK Pendidikan Khas (SKPK) Princess Elizabeth here. The two boys and two girls, who are suffering from severe vision impairment ...
- Herbal Essences Launches Packaging for Blind and Vision-Impaired Customerson October 11, 2018 at 3:39 pm
Despite the fashion and beauty industries slowly making strides toward greater inclusivity and accessibility, there are still so many products on the market that have yet to be adjusted in any way ...
via Bing News