University of British Columbia researchers have found a new way to make state-of-the-art materials for energy storage using a cheap lamp from the hardware store.
The researchers wanted to find a better way to make coatings that can be painted onto surfaces to conduct electricity or convert electricity into hydrogen fuels. Typically these coatings are made in more extreme conditions with expensive tools and materials. But the researchers developed a technique that allows them to use a consumer grade heat lamp to get the same results. Once the solution was painted onto a surface and heated up, it transformed into a catalytic coating.
These coatings can be used in a range of technologies, such as flexible electronic devices or to convert electricity into hydrogen fuels. The discovery, published today in the new open access journal Science Advances, could have implications for consumer electronics and clean energy technologies.
“Solar farms and wind turbines don’t provide a constant supply of energy,” says study co-author Curtis Berlinguette, an associate professor in UBC’s Departments of Chemistry and Chemical and Biological Engineering. “Storing electrical energy produced during times of low demand as hydrogen fuels enables that electricity to be used later during peaks of higher demand. The catalyst coatings we can now produce more easily could help make this process cheaper and more efficient.”
The researcher’s new technique may also help reduce the fabrication costs of making catalyst-coated electrodes in commercial applications, such as electrolyzers.
The Latest on: Electricity storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Electricity storage
- Nordic American Tankers Limited (NYSE:NAT) - Commencement of Time Charter with major energy company Equinor. The TC has now started.on August 22, 2019 at 6:24 am
Nordic American Tankers Limited (NYSE:NAT) - Commencement of Time Charter with major energy company Equinor ... OPEC's petroleum production levels and worldwide oil consumption and storage, changes in ...
- How to have an all-renewable electric gridon August 22, 2019 at 6:11 am
A model reveals which combination of electricity sources and energy storage systems has the lowest cost while always meeting demand. Many studies demonstrate that fully renewable electric grids are ...
- Energy Storage Systems Market with latest research report and Growth by 2024 Market Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Drivers and Forecaston August 21, 2019 at 11:03 pm
Aug 22, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, August 22, 2019: The key roles played by energy storage systems in power grids include time shifting to manage peak loads, providing power quality by aiding ...
- NC House drops controversial rate measure, backed by Duke Energy, passing this legislation insteadon August 21, 2019 at 4:02 pm
the introduction of battery storage to power systems and cleaning up coal-ash ponds. It's unclear what happens to the legislation from here. Julien Dumoulin-Smith, an analyst with Bank of America ...
- Energy storage firm Yotta lands $1.5 mln seedon August 21, 2019 at 10:50 am
Austin, Texas-based Yotta, an energy storage company, has raised $1.5 million in seed funding. The investors were not named. AUSTIN, TX— August 21, 2019—Yotta, the developer of safe, panel-level ...
- Inside energy storage's tax incentive campaignon August 21, 2019 at 8:00 am
PROGRAMMING NOTE: Morning Energy will not be published from Monday, Aug. 26, to Monday, Sept. 2. We'll be back on our normal schedule on Tuesday, Sept. 3. Please continue to follow POLITICO Energy.
- How did Massachusetts blossom into an environment ripe for energy storage, pushing technology and business models to the cutting edge?on August 21, 2019 at 6:49 am
It created a market that demands and allows for value stacking. Today's energy storage technology can help power the country more efficiently and sustainably, and it's getting better all the time.
- Energy (Electricity) Storage Market is Booming Market to Grow at Healthy CAGR of 37.60% forecast by 2028 with Top Key playerson August 21, 2019 at 3:26 am
Aug 21, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- New York, NY, Aug 21, 2019 (WiredRelease): Energy (Electricity) Storage Research Report 2019 – 2028 published by MarketResearch.Biz providing latest business ...
- Advanced Energy Storage System Market to Reach US$ 211.2 Bn by 2026; Increasing Number of Solar Farms Will Provide Impetus, Sayson August 21, 2019 at 1:18 am
Advanced Energy Storage System Market to Reach US$ 211.2 Bn by 2026; Increasing Number of Solar Farms Will Provide Impetus, Says Fortune Business Insights PR Newswire PUNE, India, Aug. 21, 2019 PUNE, ...
- Funding for utility-scale energy storage technology | IDTechEx Research Articleon August 20, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Energy Vault, creator of renewable energy storage products for utility-scale energy storage, has completed a $110 million Series B funding round. The investment for the round was made by SoftBank ...
via Bing News