University of British Columbia researchers have found a new way to make state-of-the-art materials for energy storage using a cheap lamp from the hardware store.
The researchers wanted to find a better way to make coatings that can be painted onto surfaces to conduct electricity or convert electricity into hydrogen fuels. Typically these coatings are made in more extreme conditions with expensive tools and materials. But the researchers developed a technique that allows them to use a consumer grade heat lamp to get the same results. Once the solution was painted onto a surface and heated up, it transformed into a catalytic coating.
These coatings can be used in a range of technologies, such as flexible electronic devices or to convert electricity into hydrogen fuels. The discovery, published today in the new open access journal Science Advances, could have implications for consumer electronics and clean energy technologies.
“Solar farms and wind turbines don’t provide a constant supply of energy,” says study co-author Curtis Berlinguette, an associate professor in UBC’s Departments of Chemistry and Chemical and Biological Engineering. “Storing electrical energy produced during times of low demand as hydrogen fuels enables that electricity to be used later during peaks of higher demand. The catalyst coatings we can now produce more easily could help make this process cheaper and more efficient.”
The researcher’s new technique may also help reduce the fabrication costs of making catalyst-coated electrodes in commercial applications, such as electrolyzers.
The Latest on: Electricity storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Electricity storage
- California: We Need 1GW of New Long-Duration Energy Storage by 2026on April 8, 2020 at 3:56 pm
California officials expect that the state needs 1 gigawatt of new long-duration energy storage by 2026 to advance its clean-energy transition. That figure emerged in the “refer ...
- Harley-Davidson Goes All-Electric with its LiveWire Motorcycleon April 8, 2020 at 3:12 pm
The LiveWire motorcycle carries a 15.5 kWh high-voltage battery, or what Harley Davidson calls the Rechargeable Energy Storage System (RESS). It provides 140 miles of city range or 88 miles of ...
- Oil Storage at Asian Hub Just Got Pricey, If You Snagged Spaceon April 8, 2020 at 2:00 pm
The cost of storing fuels at the Asian hub of Singapore has surged as onshore tanks rapidly swell to near capacity amid crashing demand for everything from diesel to gasoline due to the coronavirus.
- The Subtle Art of Developing Energy Storage During a Pandemicon April 8, 2020 at 1:25 pm
We had to do a coronavirus energy storage roundup at some point. The virus and ensuing stay-at-home orders hit the solar industry hard and fast. Some of those impacts carry over to storage, but ...
- Natural Gas Storage: Annual 'Surplus' Is Shrinking But 5-Year Average 'Surplus' Is Growingon April 8, 2020 at 1:04 pm
This Thursday, we expect the EIA to report 2,018 bcf of working gas in storage for the week ending April 3. We anticipate to see a build of 32 bcf, which is 7 b ...
- Southern California Towns Turn to Battery Energy Storage for Stabilityon April 8, 2020 at 1:03 pm
Several California towns will soon benefit from new lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery energy storage systems. California Choice Energy Authority (CalChoice), a hybrid of five operational community choice ...
- SK Energy to rent 1.8 mln bbls crude oil storage from S.Korea's KNOCon April 6, 2020 at 7:27 pm
SK Energy, South Korea's top refiner, will rent a crude storage facility from state-run Korea National Oil Corp (KNOC) to store excess crude amid a drop in fuel demand caused by the coronavirus ...
- U.S., Saudi Energy Chiefs to Keep Talks Ongoing at G20 Meeton April 6, 2020 at 6:01 am
President Donald Trump’s top energy official said he had a “productive discussion” with his Saudi counterpart over the weekend about the instability in oil markets.
- Energy Storage for Microgrid Market Analysis By Industry Size, Share, Revenue Growth, Development And Demand Forecast To 2029on April 6, 2020 at 4:28 am
Global Energy Storage for Microgrid Market, revenue was xx.xx Million USD in 2018, and will reach xx.xx Million USD ...
- Global Advanced Energy Storage Systems Market By Top Key Players- LG Chem. Ltd, GS Yuasa International Ltd and ABB Ltdon April 6, 2020 at 1:55 am
Global Advanced Energy Storage Systems Market (Revenue and Volume), Type, Application, End-User, and Regional Analysis, Import-Export Analysis, Industry Analysis, Premium Insights, Intellectual ...
via Bing News