University of British Columbia researchers have found a new way to make state-of-the-art materials for energy storage using a cheap lamp from the hardware store.
The researchers wanted to find a better way to make coatings that can be painted onto surfaces to conduct electricity or convert electricity into hydrogen fuels. Typically these coatings are made in more extreme conditions with expensive tools and materials. But the researchers developed a technique that allows them to use a consumer grade heat lamp to get the same results. Once the solution was painted onto a surface and heated up, it transformed into a catalytic coating.
These coatings can be used in a range of technologies, such as flexible electronic devices or to convert electricity into hydrogen fuels. The discovery, published today in the new open access journal Science Advances, could have implications for consumer electronics and clean energy technologies.
“Solar farms and wind turbines don’t provide a constant supply of energy,” says study co-author Curtis Berlinguette, an associate professor in UBC’s Departments of Chemistry and Chemical and Biological Engineering. “Storing electrical energy produced during times of low demand as hydrogen fuels enables that electricity to be used later during peaks of higher demand. The catalyst coatings we can now produce more easily could help make this process cheaper and more efficient.”
The researcher’s new technique may also help reduce the fabrication costs of making catalyst-coated electrodes in commercial applications, such as electrolyzers.
The Latest on: Electricity storage
via Google News
The Latest on: Electricity storage
- Writer In Residence | Power outage lights up his thoughts on modern lifeon July 28, 2019 at 1:55 am
on built-in batteries when the power goes out. My wife, protective of the contents of the refrigerator and freezer, deemed that both would remain shut for the duration, which seemed to obviate the ... […]
- Hans-Georg Steinrück receives Spicer Award for energy storage research at X-ray synchrotronon July 26, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Hans-Georg Steinrück, a versatile scientist who has made important contributions to research involving lithium-ion batteries, organic transistors, and catalysis, has been chosen to receive the ... […]
- Southern Power announces partnership with esVolta for energy storage projectson July 26, 2019 at 6:01 am
ATLANTA, July 26, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Southern Power, a leading U.S. wholesale energy provider and subsidiary of Southern Company, today announced its partnership with esVolta, a prominent ... […]
- Metal-organic framework functionalization and design strategies for advanced electrochemical energy storage deviceson July 26, 2019 at 2:14 am
Metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) are a class of porous materials with unprecedented chemical and structural tunability. Their synthetic versatility, long-range order, and rich host–guest chemistry make ... […]
- Aerospace Energy Storage Market Rising Trends and New Technologies with Meggitt PLC, Kokam Co, Eaton Corporation, Siemens AGon July 26, 2019 at 12:20 am
Aerospace Energy Storage Comprehensive Study by Type (Lead Acid Battery, Lithium Battery, Others), Application (Aircraft, Spacecraft), Type of Power Source (Wind, Hydro, Solar, Biofuel, Geothermal, ... […]
- China's CATL to start battery storage business in Japan with Next Energyon July 25, 2019 at 11:37 pm
TOKYO/SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China’s electric vehicle battery maker Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd (CATL) (300750.SZ) said it will start offering products to homes and plants in Japan in 2020, ... […]
- High-performance flow batteries offer path to grid-level renewable energy storageon July 25, 2019 at 11:19 am
A low-cost, high-performance battery chemistry could one day lead to scalable grid-level storage for wind and solar energy that could help electrical utilities reduce their dependency on fossil fuels. ... […]
- Tesla Energy deploys a new record amount of energy storage, solar still downon July 25, 2019 at 8:22 am
Tesla Energy deployed a new record amount of energy storage during the last quarter, but its solar business is still declining. With the release of Tesla’s Q2 2019 financial results, the ... […]
- Energy Storage Systems Market 2019: Research and Development by 2024 - MRE Reporton July 25, 2019 at 1:43 am
Jul 25, 2019 (Heraldkeepers) -- New York, July 25, 2019: The key roles played by energy storage systems in power grids include time shifting to manage peak loads, providing power quality by aiding in ... […]
- PSE’s battery storage project could help the clean energy rollouton July 24, 2019 at 1:14 pm
On a rainy day in the foothills of Mount Baker, engineers from Puget Sound Energy gathered at a pilot project located just outside of the tiny town of Glacier. As rain pattered against the exterior of ... […]
via Bing News