ARTHRITIS sufferers could be offered cartilage replacements within five years after a breakthrough by British scientists.
Treatment for the crippling condition is currently limited to basic pain relief or complex joint replacement surgery.
But trials using stem cells have shown “astonishing” results with tissue almost as good as new after just three months.
Professor Sue Kimber, who led the research, said: “This work represents an important step forward in treating cartilage damage using embryonic stem cells to form new tissue.
“It may offer a new line of therapy for people with crippling joint pain and we now need this process to be developed for patients.”
Osteoarthritis occurs when cartilage at the ends of bones wears away causing severe pain and stiffness.
Researchers say the latest experiments show the procedure could potentially be a “safe and effective treatment” for more than eight million people who suffer from joint damage and inflammation.
In the experiments, led by teams at Manchester University and Arthritis Research UK, discarded embryonic stem cells from IVF clinics were transformed into cartilage cells.
These were transplanted into rats with defective joints.
Tests showed the high-quality artificially grown tissue quickly aided the repair of the joint.
The experiments have excited researchers because they were able to generate new healthy-looking cartilage without signs of damaging side effects.
Although cartilage cells created from adult stem cells are being used experimentally they cannot be produced in large amounts because the procedure is prohibitively expensive.
But embryonic stem cells’ capacity to multiply quickly offers the possibility of high-volume cartilage production.
The Latest on: Arthritis Cure
via Google News
The Latest on: Arthritis Cure
- Vaccines Didn’t Cause My Daughter’s Arthritis, They Saved Her Lifeon February 3, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Arthritis can be a bit of a catch-all term in the medical community since the term ... and safe for the vast majority of these children,” she said. Because the treatment of my daughter’s condition ...
- Can-Fite Completes 50% Patient Enrollment in Phase III Rheumatoid Arthritis Study & Implements Interim Analysison February 3, 2020 at 8:51 am
Can-Fite Completes 50% Patient Enrollment in Phase III Rheumatoid Arthritis Study & Implements Interim Analysis ...
- Osteoarthritis Treatment Market to Reflect a Holistic Expansion during 2020-2026on February 3, 2020 at 2:38 am
As one of the most common forms of arthritis, osteoarthritis is known to affect a majority of the population worldwide. It occurs when the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of one's bones ...
- Global Arthritis Therapeutics Market to Grow at Over 6% Annually to Reach USD 72 Billion Valuation by 2027: Transparency Market Researchon February 3, 2020 at 2:00 am
/PRNewswire/ -- A bevy of myriad, yet interconnected factors – ranging from growing prevalence to renewed focus on early detection and management – ...
- Global Psoriatic Arthritis Therapeutics Markets, 2016-2026: Industry Assessment and In-depth Analysis - ResearchAndMarkets.comon February 3, 2020 at 1:40 am
Market projections have been offered in terms of value (US$ Mn). Stakeholders of this report include companies and intermediaries engaged in research & development, manufacture, and marketing of ...
- 10 Health Remedies You Already Have in Your Kitchenon February 2, 2020 at 9:01 pm
But ginger has plenty of other health benefits, too. According to the Arthritis Foundation, ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce joint pain and stiffness for some people.
- Arthritis Treatment: Avoid These Foods That Increase Body’s Inflammationon January 31, 2020 at 7:13 am
Arthritis is a debilitating condition primarily characterized by pain in the joints. There are foods that help ease the pain, but there are foods that you must avoid in order to prevent the joints ...
- Beat Arthritis Symptoms Using These Home Remedieson January 30, 2020 at 10:26 pm
Any type of arthritis can cause pain and long-lasting joint damage. Fortunately, there are effective home remedies that can slow down disease progression and ultimately treat arthritis and its ...
- Could this drug combo reverse arthritis?on January 30, 2020 at 4:42 am
Share on Pinterest New research in rats brings hope for potential new arthritis treatment in humans. The team at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, CA, has also found that the ...
- One step closer to tailored treatment of severe rheumatic diseaseson January 29, 2020 at 12:29 pm
psoriatic arthritis or spondyloarthritis, prescribing the correct type of medicine is a case of trial and error. It is simply not possible to predict which medication will work for the individual ...
via Bing News